The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
I am going to order swift+2 970s then end of month on finance...seems better than 4k as i love 120hz at the moment, ahahaha the suggestions above xD you guys are mad. :D

Soldato
You forgot one thing... THIS
I was looking at that the other day and noticed it seems to be pretty outdated now with these specs

Single monitor configuration: 19" to 30"
Triple monitor configuration: 3 x 19" to 3 x 24"
3 x HDMI to HDMI cables

Connectivity
Rear
3 HDMI-Females

Front
4 ports USB HUB 2.0
But guessing you could change the HDMI cables to DP and most likely be able to change the USB2.0 ports to USB 3.0 ports pretty easy.
But I don't know if it would be possible to convert it be able to hold three 27" monitors or a single 34" Ultra Wide Monitor

Last edited:
Associate
I get flicker with gsync on in any game where the framerate drops below 30 (so loading screens and menus it happens a fair bit) somewhat off putting.

gsync on in say BF4 if your holding a good framerate is immense though, I might have to be a little more choosy about which games I do and don't enable gsync for.

Are you saying that G-Sync doesn't double or treble the refresh rate when the frame rate gets that low to avoid issues? I would have thought that would be a no brainer.

Associate
I have had this monitor for a while with no problems.

But I have started to get some weird behavior starting yesterday. At 144hz the backlight seemed to be pulsing this morning in Windows desktop, this has gone away now.

Also the fonts look blurred at anything other than 120hz with ULMB on. After drawing some lines 1 pixel thick in GIMP and displaying at 100% zoom it seems like the lines get antialiased vertically. In some modes its almost to a point that a line 1px high appears 2pixels high. Any ideas on what could cause this.

Associate
I have had this monitor for a while with no problems.

But I have started to get some weird behavior starting yesterday. At 144hz the backlight seemed to be pulsing this morning in Windows desktop, this has gone away now.

Also the fonts look blurred at anything other than 120hz with ULMB on. After drawing some lines 1 pixel thick in GIMP and displaying at 100% zoom it seems like the lines get antialiased vertically. In some modes its almost to a point that a line 1px high appears 2pixels high. Any ideas on what could cause this.

Are you seeing horizontal lines? I had that and in some places it caused one row to be slightly out of line with another below making text blurry. Had to RMA, not sure what caused it but petrified it'll come back!!

Associate
Well night before last my monitor went poof!! It just powered down whilst browsing and wouldn't come back on. The PSU is fine, seems the panel itself just had enough. DPD have just picked it up to return to OCUK. So cheesed off :(. Apart from gaming I have so much work to do and am screenless. Tempted to just buy another today and ask OCUK for a refund once tested.

Associate
I'm tempted to call it a day with this screen. I have put up with a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread also and now it's just gone pop I'm just fed up. It's the hassle involved as well. I switched from Dell and I never had a problem in 7 years of using Dell. Im tempted to try the BenQ BL3200PT. I only really play WOW and D3 anyway so would probably be fine for me.

Associate
Are you seeing horizontal lines? I had that and in some places it caused one row to be slightly out of line with another below making text blurry. Had to RMA, not sure what caused it but petrified it'll come back!!

Sounds like a similar problem. I have tried to take photos to demonstrate

ULMB Off
PMxENpL.jpg

ULMB ON
AJf4jaw.jpg

The effect can be seen above especially in the menu buttons where the underscore touches the text in the first image. I am hoping its something software based and not RMA

Associate
Hi guys.

I received my Swift today, but I'm having a bit of an issue.

I'm not sure it's card or monitor related - although I'm swinging towards card.

If I select anything over 85Hz the screen will flicker and then it will display a message saying displayport link failure.

If I try 144Hz the screen will flicker and flash (as if the monitor doesn't support it).

I'm using the displayport cable that came with the monitor so I assume that's up to the task.

Using a R9 290 (yes I know it's not a Nvidia card! lol).

My only issue is that I have nothing else I can put into this monitor to test it.

I'm half tempted to order up a 970 tomorrow....

thoughts? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Soldato
Hi guys.

I received my Swift today, but I'm having a bit of an issue.

I'm not sure it's card or monitor related - although I'm swinging towards card.

If I select anything over 85Hz the screen will flicker and then it will display a message saying displayport link failure.

If I try 144Hz the screen will flicker and flash (as if the monitor doesn't support it).

I'm using the displayport cable that came with the monitor so I assume that's up to the task.

Using a R9 290 (yes I know it's not a Nvidia card! lol).
It should be noted that the screen can also be used from AMD graphics cards, again as long as you have a DisplayPort output. We had some issues though with achieving the maximum refresh rate on one of our test machines (AMD 7800 series). It seemed to accept up to 100Hz without issue, but 120 and 144Hz would return a "no signal found" message. Results may vary from one setup to another. Again, you'd probably have an NVIDIA card anyway if you were going to buy this screen since a lot of what you're paying for is the G-sync / ULMB features. These refresh rates worked straight away with our test NVIDIA GTX 780 card without issue. You will see from the screenshot above that the screen was detected as G-sync compatible as well.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

The swift don't seem to like AMD cards...;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom