New Car, backward move?

kai

kai

Soldato
Have a made the right decision – well I’m trying to justify it to myself, I have!

I sold my Volvo S40 1.6 R Design (08 plate) 99bhp yesterday.

Heading out yesterday looking for a car garage I needed to meet the following criteria.

• Fuel economy (preferably a Diesel, as I do around 20,000 -25 a year)
  • Fairly new
  • Practical, 5 door
  • Low mileage
  • Budget between £8 – 9k

I ended up with a Peugeot 308 Diesel Hatchback 1.6 Hdi 92 (13 plate) (7,000) on the clock - i paid £8,300

10479745_10152403720330989_1884981688850351274_n.jpg

I seem to have got a lot of stick of friends for this one. “You bought a French Car”, “*** car with fairy lights” “backward move”

"Better get your AA cover sorted" - from what i have read about the new Peugeot they are fairly reliable, particularly the diesel engines?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've driven French diesel engined cars (Citreons and Renaults) for the last twelve years and never had a problem, doing on average 15000 a year.
It should be fine, although not very exciting.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I've driven French diesel engined cars (Citreons and Renaults) for the last twelve years and never had a problem, doing on average 15000 a year.
It should be fine, although not very exciting.

Compared to the Volvo, this is a much lighter car - at 99bhp for such a big car that was no real fun either, just a motorway barge that had poor return on mpg (39 at best)

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;27344706 said:
Doesn't seem like a very well considered move to me. Given the choice I would rather have had the Volvo.

The Volvo had clocked up a little too much miles, things had started to go wrong, or need replacing. When i originally purchased the car i was lucky to be doing 5,000 miles a year. Due to work commitments, this has more than tripled.

• Services / tyres was expensive, (for what it was)
  • MPG was poor
  • Road tax was expensive (for what it was)

Last edited:
Soldato
Using fuel economy and VED as reasons to justify it aren't really logical since it would have cost you a few grand to change the car in the first place. I'm betting your VED and fuel savings don't amount to much more than a few hundred a year.

If you're happy with the change then that's all that matters. How much had gone wrong with the Volvo?

Associate
French cars will always have the stigma of french piece of shut.

308 is a nice enough car, but I don't think it will hold its value very well. 307's dropped a lot very quickly.

Man of Honour
The Volvo had clocked up a little too much miles, things had started to go wrong, or need replacing. When i originally purchased the car i was lucky to be doing 5,000 miles a year. Due to work commitments, this has more than tripled.

I see, had it done 300,000 miles then?

• Services / tyres was expensive, (for what it was)
  • MPG was poor
  • Road tax was expensive (for what it was)

All of this is a trivial expense against the backdrop of purchasing a new car.

Soldato
Whilst I won't comment on your choice of car I'll never understand how people can leave the house with no idea what they want other than a short list of criteria and just buy a car same day based on whatever a few garages in their area happen to have on sale.

Man of Honour
Whilst I won't comment on your choice of car I'll never understand how people can leave the house with no idea what they want other than a short list of criteria and just buy a car same day based on whatever a few garages in their area happen to have on sale.

But its low mileage?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
If you're happy with the change then that's all that matters. How much had gone wrong with the Volvo?

Last two months it need
Timing belt, 2 new wheel bearings, something went wrong with the suspension and steering column that need replacing, plus standard wear and tear where it needed new pads, tyres and a new front brake disc. [i think.. plus other little bits]

[TW]Fox;27344735 said:
I see, had it done 300,000 miles then? All of this is a trivial expense against the backdrop of purchasing a new car.

No valid point! it had another 210,000 before this landmark, which i have no doubt the Volvo engine could have easily achieved.

Book price from a dealer was £3,000 (i paid, i think around £9,000) 2years ago so i had lost a fair amount. I managed to sell it for £4,500

Tea Drinker
Don
Bizarre

Some people's car choices are strange.

My dad has a 2.5t 2010 kuga with leather 45000 miles. One sensor goes wrong costing £200 and that's it he decides to buy a £24k 2014 Ranger with the worst engine and gearbox combo 2.2d + agricultural auto. Terrible

Soldato
Bizarre

Some people's car choices are strange.

My dad has a 2.5t 2010 kuga with leather 45000 miles. One sensor goes wrong costing £200 and that's it he decides to buy a £24k 2014 Ranger with the worst engine and gearbox combo 2.2d + agricultural auto. Terrible

some people just like any excuse to change their car.

Associate
Sometimes people need to just say "I wanted a new car and dont really care about the money Ive spent/lost" rather than try and justify it through tales of woe with their old motor :)

Grats on a new car. I bet it does a fine job of getting you about cheaply (now the initial money is spent).

Back
Top Bottom