The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Mmm, just seen the monitor on sale in Europe for sub-£500(inc VAT and shipping). On the one hand that's pretty tempting, on the other the price is probably going to drop again.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is designed for gaming, this is not a monitor for professionals, I suspect a professional grade version with calibrated panel would be 2-3x the cost.

After using mine I agree, no way a professional monitor this size would cost less than £2000.

Soldato
Theres no customs/import within EU as for as I know.:)

True, but then there are warranty problems if something goes wrong or you get a faulty one. If the price is significantly cheaper then you may wish to take a chance. I have bought plenty of IT gear direct from EU and in some cases import duties apply.

Soldato
After using mine I agree, no way a professional monitor this size would cost less than £2000.

They are that much mainly because professionals have the money to buy this sort of stuff for that sort of price, especially with righting it off against their tax.

There it's really any good reason why pro computer hardware costs so much outside of people will pay it.

It's like the Titan, there wasn't actually any reason why it was so expensive with regards to cost. The bill of materials of Titans is around the same amount as the cost of the GTX580. That's of course not factoring R&D, but realistically it wouldn't have been much different to the 580.

Yet the price was firmly in pretend land, simply because they were seeing just how loyal some of the nVidia boys are, in terms of the ones who bought them solely for games.

Soldato
They are that much mainly because professionals have the money to buy this sort of stuff for that sort of price, especially with righting it off against their tax.

There it's really any good reason why pro computer hardware costs so much outside of people will pay it.

It's like the Titan, there wasn't actually any reason why it was so expensive with regards to cost. The bill of materials of Titans is around the same amount as the cost of the GTX580. That's of course not factoring R&D, but realistically it wouldn't have been much different to the 580.

Yet the price was firmly in pretend land, simply because they were seeing just how loyal some of the nVidia boys are, in terms of the ones who bought them solely for games.

Political ranting aside, my point still stands :)

Associate
Well got my monitor delivered today from Dpd. box had a gash just on top about 1 inch down. on looking at the inside the monitor is well over 2 inches away from the ripped box. on closer inspection the monitor looks ok no marks.
linked to pc ,and pc finds it but the monitor wont light up. tried a few hdmi leads and power leads still the same. phoned ocuk up and there picking it up tomorrow.
looked on the website now there out of stock,just my luck :(
ordered a ati r295x2 that comes tomorrow and i have no monitor :(

Yeah I had the same problem on mine I had to press the joystick and it came to life ( on the back of the monitor )

Back
Top Bottom