Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election - only use the poll if you intend to vote

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 287 42.0%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 67 9.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 108 15.8%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 36 5.3%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • UKIP

Votes: 137 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Its not too far off the general proportions - I guess the pro Labour demographic is more likely to visit the BBC site than this one however.

The BBC "poll of polls" isn't a BBC poll Rroff. It's an average of a large number of national polls. I would have thought that a poll here would yield a similar result, but as you can see, it's way off the average.

Caporegime
The BBC "poll of polls" isn't a BBC poll Rroff. It's an average of a large number of national polls. I would have thought that a poll here would yield a similar result, but as you can see, it's way off the average.

Its a forum about computers, its going to be relatively conservationist.

Soldato
Its a forum about computers, its going to be relatively conservationist.

Lots of Greenpeace donors? :p

Forum is older, whiter, and more English than average, so no surprise more Conservative party and UKIP votes and fewer Labour and parties of other regions. Also above average intelligence so more Green votes ;)

Soldato
The current maintenance loans/grants are a lot more generous than they were when I was at University. My accommodation costs and tuition fees totalled £600 more than my loan. My parents gave me a £40/week allowance on top of that to help toward living costs, though that was still well short of my needs.

Do you know what I did about that? I got a job.

A prospective student starting in September, financing themselves independently from their parents and going to University outside of London recieves a £4047 maintenance loan and a £3387 maintenance grant. That's a total of £7434. Add on a part-time job in a supermarket (12h/week @ £7/h) and you get a total of £11802. Taking Tax and NI into account (this student wouldn't be paying any) and that's equivalent to annual earnings of around £12850, above the minimum wage. Oh, and this student would only be working 12 hours per week during the summer to earn this, leaving them plenty of time to chill out, get some work experience or simply just earn more cash. If that supermarket gives this student full time employment over the summer annual earnings would be around £14800. Factoring in the tax and NI this student wouldn't be paying, that's the equivalent of around £16.5k/year.

If your finances are as bad as you say then your parents should be helping a bit more. The maintenance grant is intended for people from low income households in lieu of parental help. Your family should be topping up your income to somewhere in the £7k/year ballpark, either through cash, or through helping you to buy things you need.

The current system works fine. It's the current bunch of entitled, whining students that are the problem.

My parents don't have an extra £2.5k per year to give me. The system does NOT work well, if you're rich it isn't an issue, if you're poor the government gives you everything. Everyone in the middle is shafted. I shouldn't need to get a job to sustain myself during university, student loans should be giving you enough to cover that.

How many middle class parents can afford to give their children £2.5k per year? Not very many i would guess. If i was to go back to uni now i would only get £4000 per year, that's to cover EVERYTHING. The course i was doing i needed to put all my effort into it, meaning i wouldn't be able to cope with a job on top of my uni commitments. Your comments are just so out of touch with reality, you should consider going into politics. You must be delusional if you think the current system is working, it's really not.

Last edited:
Soldato
My parents don't have an extra £2.5k per year to give me. The system does NOT work well, if you're rich it isn't an issue, if you're poor the government gives you everything. Everyone in the middle is shafted. Your comment is just so out of touch with reality, you should consider going into politics. I shouldn't need to get a job to sustain myself during university, student loans should be giving you enough to cover that.

How many middle class parents can afford to give their children £2.5k per year? Not very many i would guess.

You shouldn't have to live in the real world as an adult? Wait what.... Lets just give everyone loans, nobody has to work again.

Soldato
I wonder why the poll at the front of this thread differs so drastically from the current BBC "poll of polls" ?

BBC : Consv= 34% OCUK= 41.96%
BBC : Lab= 34% OCUK=15.79%
BBC : LibDem= 8% OCUK=3.65%
BBC : Ukip= 13% OCUK=20.03%

Maybe we all know something the other polsters don't lol.

No it is because OCUK has a right-far right leaning membership in the main. This not new it has always been further right than the general population.

The same thread up to the last election in 2010 gave the Cons a greater %. The OCUK 2010 result would have translated into a Tory majority of 60-80 seats with a LibDem opposition and Labour with a rump of seats. As we know that did not happen.

So if the OCUK poll follows the 2010 result we are definitely in for another minority Govt, probably Labour.

Caporegime
You shouldn't have to live in the real world as an adult? Wait what.... Lets just give everyone loans, nobody has to work again.

I sort of understand what you're trying to say - even if it's misjudged - but you can't say "pfft you should have worked harder, earlier" at every stage in someone's personal and professional development. Because eventually you're going to be at the business end of a birth and condemning a newborn for the position they have put themselves in by not trying harder as an embryo.

Soldato
SNP angling to get in parliament through combining forces with labour.

Perhaps it's just me but I feel hugely uncomfortable with a party wanting power who don't want the union, have campaigned to only "fix" Scotish issues and are anti austerity.

Like welcoming an a greedy axe murderer into your home, take everything you've got chop up what they don't take and **** off into the distance with no worries.

I have a lot of Scotish mates, spend a lot of time in Scotland both personal and work related but I pray the SNP don't get into any form of power.

Caporegime

This forum is extremely rightwing, which is ao.what odd for a Computer forum. The BBC polls is legitimate average of multiple independent polls, the ocuk poll is a tiny biased meaningless poll which just highlights how far removed from reality the average ocuk member is.

Soldato
This forum is extremely rightwing, which is ao.what odd for a Computer forum. The BBC polls is legitimate average of multiple independent polls, the ocuk poll is a tiny biased meaningless poll which just highlights how far removed from reality the average ocuk member is.

Frankly a lot of people on this forum appear to consider themselves to be the pinnacle of financial prudence, pulling their bootstraps up so hard they're at aircraft cruising altitude, when in actual fact their rise was rocket fuelled by government policy, good fortune, the right connections, face, voice, and maybe some hard work.

Associate
The Common Decency campaign is lol-worthy. I like the principle, but their 'Pillars of Common Decency' are more than a little contradictory of the 'elect good people to government, let them vote with their conscience' mantra.

1. End the two party system of politics with its corrupt links to commercial interests.
2. An end to the Whip system in Parliament.
3. Dismantling of Privilege.
4. Zero tolerance for cruelty to animals, just as to children.
5. Proportional representation.
6. Restoration of the National Health Service.
7. An end to the policy of Austerity.
8. Public ownership of the Banks.
9. No Declaration of War without public consultation.
10. Land Reform.

So basically, it's another potentially good organisation that's been infiltrated by the left-wing loonies. You're only a 'good person' if you agree with our point of view. Slightly contradictory of points 1 and 2, no?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Caporegime
SNP angling to get in parliament through combining forces with labour.

Perhaps it's just me but I feel hugely uncomfortable with a party wanting power who don't want the union, have campaigned to only "fix" Scotish issues and are anti austerity.

The rise of SNP is the rise of petty nationalism. The idea of a having a party in government, or even the sole option in a supply-and-confidence arrangement, who's aim is to "fight for a better deal for Scotland" instead of doing what is best for the UK is distinctly ugly. It will concentrate politics in this country into a divisive, inward looking affair.

It's not the worst possible outcome of the election, but it's not a pleasing one at all.

I'm still hopeful that Labour will beat their polls in Scotland and we'll see a ad hoc vote-by-vote arrangement with Labour as a minority government and the SNP, the Lib Dems and the Tories all capable of carrying them through on particular issue.

Soldato
If you afford them 5% profit, that might enable a take home of 5k-10k per year. Policy doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. Typical Ed the Milliband. Policy which suggests a headline, but doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Without wanting to state the obvious but wages are not paid out of profit they are paid out of running costs. Charities don't make "profit" but they do pay their management quite the nice wages which is why they are such a con these days.

Soldato
Without wanting to state the obvious but wages are not paid out of profit they are paid out of running costs. Charities don't make "profit" but they do pay their management quite the nice wages which is why they are such a con these days.

Self employed independent contractors do not generate wages, that is the issue. Every bit of their 'pay' is profit, so if that was capped at 5%, it would be very limited earnings.
I understand what the Ed was trying to suggest, but it is an unthought headline grabbing 'labour saves the nhs 'by doing little or nothing but adding more layers of red tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom