The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Well i went and got it, £24 on kinguin for a GOG key. I hope i can get it to run half decent on my r9 280 4gig ram on a AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor at 4ghz. I can get a gtx 970 but i think the cpu is gonna bottle neck it a bit :(

It's cheaper on CDKeys for a Steam key.

Soldato
OP
I would really recommend getting this game from authorized seller, ideally GOG.

Getting it on cdkeys/kinguin and such, you have no idea where the game came from. It can be legit, it can be stolen (though still working).
Point is, if you care about actually giving your money to people who deserve it, GOG is the way to go.

Associate
The game will definitely be playable but I doubt we'll be able to max it with a 970, even at 1080p and without MSAA. Allegedly, the game had a nasty disposition of occasionally dropping into 30fps territories on the test rig which was a 4790k/980 combo.

The 970 is still a nice card but I thought it'd be enough to nearly max games at 1080p for some time to come and it's just not. No doubt it'll offer a significant performance boost over your 6950 but, unless you're really itching for an upgrade, I would wait till W3 releases to see how it performs.

well looks like which video you watch was very wrong theres a new video using a single 980 on ultra and its running fine :p see it here

Soldato
well looks like which video you watch was very wrong theres a new video using a single 980 on ultra and its running fine :p see it here

That doesn't look that impressive for Ultra, that's how I'd expect the game to look on PS4. Slightly concerning when it doesn't look like they've pushed the envelope that far on PC, suggests they've primarily been concerned with developing for the console first.

Soldato
That doesn't look that impressive for Ultra, that's how I'd expect the game to look on PS4. Slightly concerning when it doesn't look like they've pushed the envelope that far on PC, suggests they've primarily been concerned with developing for the console first.

take in to account youtubes awful compression, the poster even mentions it in his top comment that it looks much better in person than on his vid. i dont like the overly contrasty look that they have gone for though

Soldato
tbh i just want the story to be engaging. really enjoying the books etc :) if it ran on my megadrive i would be fine aslong as i enjoyed the ride :D

must say though in watching that vid and a few others previously, the 'detective mode'/quests of follow the red markers already feel like they will get repetitive. hope they can keep it fresh

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh i just want the story to be engaging. really enjoying the books etc :) if it ran on my megadrive i would be fine aslong as i enjoyed the ride :D

must say though in watching that vid and a few others previously, the 'detective mode'/quests of follow the red markers already feel like they will get repetitive. hope they can keep it fresh

Wait...What....There are books?? this is news to me, how didn't I know this I'm going have to get these

Permabanned
Wait...What....There are books?? this is news to me, how didn't I know this I'm going have to get these

Quite a few books but only 4 have been translated into English so far, they are amazing. The Witcher also had a TV show that has subtitles, also a movie but from memory the movie was just a short version of the TV shows.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300657/

Last edited:
Soldato
The books are great! think Sword of Destiny is out near the release of the game? 2nd book of short stories i believe?

Start with The Last Wish, short stories. then Blood of Elves was the first in the actual series followed by time of contempt (which i am on now) and next up is baptism of fire (or something like that

Soldato
Don't forget the comics as well.

thats a level i havent even thought about ;)

oh so the upcoming Sword of Destiny english release was actually released before the last wish originally. wonder why the skipped it originally?

i always hear people say how its like game of thrones etc, 5 of these books came out before the game of thrones which is interesting :D

Last edited:
Soldato
thats a level i havent even thought about ;)

oh so the upcoming Sword of Destiny english release was actually released before the last wish originally. wonder why the skipped it originally?

i always hear people say how its like game of thrones etc, 5 of these books came out before the game of thrones which is interesting :D

found this while i was on wikipedia think this explains why.

while The Last Wish was published after The Sword of Destiny, the stories contained in The Last Wish take place first chronologically, and many of the individual stories were published before The Sword of Destiny.

Back
Top Bottom