Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Associate
Hello, Is this a good price for this model? MSI GT72 2QE (Dominator Pro)-806UK £1,659.97 Also how does the screen compare to the asus screen ?
cheers.

Soldato
OP
Disagree strongly Moogleys. I bought mine to be able to put new GPUs in

My GT72 has an 880m and to upgrade to the 980m will cost approx £650. I can sell my laptop for £850 and buy the 980m model for £1385 with a fresh warranty which is less than upgrading.

To me it makes no sense to upgrade the GPU unless the next cards after the 980m are considerably cheaper.

Soldato
My GT72 has an 880m and to upgrade to the 980m will cost approx £650. I can sell my laptop for £850 and buy the 980m model for £1385 with a fresh warranty which is less than upgrading.

To me it makes no sense to upgrade the GPU unless the next cards after the 980m are considerably cheaper.

I see your point. I guess it makes sense for that spec/price point... or at least the maths works :)

Associate
Good day to you all,

Well i got myself a MSI GT72 and i don't believe it, i have the same green hue on the screen as i did with the 2 rogs that i had and sent back, is it just my bad luck or has any of you had the same problem with their screen?

Soldato
That's unlucky :(
Seems it's just a matter of luck if you get a good one then. I too was looking at MSI as quite a few people seem to be reporting problems with the Asus but if MSI are no better I'll probably just go for the Asus for the better screen and less system noise when gaming.

Associate
That's unlucky :(
Seems it's just a matter of luck if you get a good one then. I too was looking at MSI as quite a few people seem to be reporting problems with the Asus but if MSI are no better I'll probably just go for the Asus for the better screen and less system noise when gaming.

I also found that the rog could not handle battlefield 4 on ultra settings without glitching that was with both rogs i had, it did run better on high, and all the drivers were up to date, but the MSI GT72 played it at ultra with no problems at all. Good luck with your choice.

Soldato
I also found that the rog could not handle battlefield 4 on ultra settings without glitching that was with both rogs i had, it did run better on high, and all the drivers were up to date, but the MSI GT72 played it at ultra with no problems at all. Good luck with your choice.

How do you find the MSI screen and system noise when gaming compared to the Asus?
Even though you'll probably be returning the MSI possibly for a replacement, do you prefer it to the Asus?
What are your thoughts on both?
Thanks

Associate
How do you find the MSI screen and system noise when gaming compared to the Asus?
Even though you'll probably be returning the MSI possibly for a replacement, do you prefer it to the Asus?
What are your thoughts on both?
Thanks

Hello, I did like the rog it felt more solid to the feel and the fans were very quite, i never liked the red key board lights on the rog, and it never played the games on full even COD 4 never played well on the rog and its an oldish game. the msi screen seemed better in gaming, but its a little blurry to my eyes when web browsing and on the desktop, as for the rog it was the opposite way round it seemed clearer and more sharper, but, on the gaming side the rog was not so good the colours seemed flat, sry if my description is not that good but i do struggle with explaining things, if you know what i mean. One more thing with the msi the lid is flimsy but the rogs lid seemed a lot more solid.

Associate
Hi Overclocker/ASUS guys.
Is there any news on if and when you will be getting more stock of the ASUS ROG G751JY-T7117H model? This is the one with the Core i7-4710HQ, 24GB, 1TB, 256GB SSD, 17.3 inch Full HD, NVIDIA GTX980 GPU.

I can't seem to find one anywhere now that I have saved the pennies for the prices I saw on here a while back!

Cheers,
Al :)

Soldato
It would appear that the G751 is end-sale mode. At least that's what some forums seem to indicate with the certain specs selling out. The recent OcUK sale of the lower spec model would seem to support the same as well.
I wonder what is on the horizon and when we can expect a release? There hasn't even been anything announced yet afaik.
Anyone know when the previous models were announced and how long between announcement and release?
I thought this model only came available in the UK in December. Seems like a short shelf life if it's all true.

Soldato
Appears that the g751 was announced in October last year, and available in the UK in December, and the g750 was announced in June the year previous at Computex. This years Computex is June 2nd. Fingers crossed we hear something soon :)

Soldato
So it appears that the G751 with G-Sync has now been officially announced. Let's hope this isn't new models of the G751 and that they officially support the older G751's as well.

Caporegime
Just thought I's say that I am still absolutely loving my G751... I REALLY love the keyboard, its close to perfect for me. Now that Im used to it I dont have any issues with the silly hotkeys either, though I'm going to try and disable or reassign them if I can using some online guides. The red colour has also never bothered me, I actually find it easy to read and quite visually soothing.

The 980m chews up all of my games and will last me for ages as I mainly play RTS or older games on it anyway... I have a PS4 for the latest titles etc. A stronger CPU would always be nice, but not really an issue. I was going to stick in an SSD but then was so surprised by how snappy itwas with the 1TB SSHD that I decided to keep it in. I may still do an SSD, but it's certainly not a priority.

It is also so cool and quiet even in this horrible summer heat that I can't imagine buying anything louder now. Yes, it's a heavy beast in laptop terms but I'm not a wuss so can carry it in the supplied rucksack if I need to, and you simply cannot beat having a portable gaming station like this... it's so easy to take it to a friends place for some impromptu LAN gaming fun.

My one and only gripe is the screen and the IPS glow wiping out black detail. Still, cracking laptop and I don't regret it for a moment especially considering what I paid for it. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom