• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Just played a wee bit of GTA V and the framerates are great. 70's in the desert/country areas, 80-90 in the city, and 60's when flying at 1440p. There does appear to be a slight stutter in the game I've noticed as well as some corruption on the right-hand side of the pause menu.

Still being met with the crazy graphical issues though.

Associate
Having a bit of trouble after updating my HD 7950 with the betas if anyone can help.

After restarting my machine after the installation I got nothing but a black screen. (I've heard of this happening when using DDU, but have not used that for years and reinstalled Win 7 64 a few times since then.)

I thought my machine may be stuck in hibernation as I could hear Windows sounds when pressing some keys so I shut down swapped to motherboard display and restarted fine.

I uninstalled all AMD drivers normally using no other software, restarted to then try and put 14.12 back on.

I clicked Custom Install when using the installer and the only option it now gives me to install is the Catalyst Control Center no drivers, nothing else.

Also now the only Display Adapter seen in my Device Manager, is the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter?
I've tried a system restore point but nothing. When ever I boot up the 7950 now still just a black screen?

I've been a defender of AMD for years now, even their drivers seemed to be ok the past year or so. I know this is a beta driver and all but I didnt expect it to totally kill my card, well the fan still turns so it cant be totally dead can it?

Soldato
Shankly, I bet Elite would work super in crossfire for you too :D

Don't have that game sorry can only comment on what I have.. And no gta5 hasn't been perfect from start, gta5 driver give me some stutter in crossfire, installed leaked mod windows 10 driver and been running great, now even better with 15.5..

So no am not making things up am simply reporting my finding.

Soldato
Having a few issues with PCars at the moment. Could be driver or maybe afterburner / something else.

Performance with Xfire on is quite a bit less than single card and I am getting laggy stuttering which is causing arouns 1-2 second freezes despite AB reading 48fps making it unplayable. Someone mentioned it could be AB causing problem and I am pretty sure my G3258 is fine as seen copious videos of it happily playing the game

Associate
Well even with the 15.5 drivers, when the computer puts the monitor to sleep, it still wont wake up, the monitor wakes up as the power light stops blinking and goes solid , but screen still stays black, this is on a R9 280 connected via HMDI.

I'm wondering if this is the same problem I'm suffering? Black Screen, monitor light blinking, can still hear some Windows sounds. I've been trying some of the ' AMD Black Screen' fixes around the web with no luck. I just swapped my 7950 out for my old 5770 and it started fine no issue with the black screen and managed to reinstalled the 14.12 drivers.

I tried putting my 7950 back in and still get the Black screen? Can only use this PC with the VGA output now or my old 5770.

Soldato
Does crossfire actually work on project cars? I cant be the only one who gets worse performance on it in crossfire than I do with a single card? I haven't touched it since release because of this as im hoping theres a new crossfire profile sometime soon.

Soldato
I'm wondering if this is the same problem I'm suffering? Black Screen, monitor light blinking, can still hear some Windows sounds. I've been trying some of the ' AMD Black Screen' fixes around the web with no luck. I just swapped my 7950 out for my old 5770 and it started fine no issue with the black screen and managed to reinstalled the 14.12 drivers.

I tried putting my 7950 back in and still get the Black screen? Can only use this PC with the VGA output now or my old 5770.

have you tried connecting to a different hdmi or dvi port? Could be defaulting to different port.

Soldato
Does crossfire actually work on project cars? I cant be the only one who gets worse performance on it in crossfire than I do with a single card? I haven't touched it since release because of this as im hoping theres a new crossfire profile sometime soon.

Yeah it definitely works. I have tried with both one and two cards in CrossfireX and get about 50% increase in FPS.

Having said that even now pcars looks almost as good on my 570 (with medium settings) and runs so much smoother than my 290 Xfire (with ultra settings) setup!

Associate
have you tried connecting to a different hdmi or dvi port? Could be defaulting to different port.

Just tried all the different ports on the card no luck :( Thanks though.

It seems my PC just wont detect the 7950 now at all, in Device Manager and in CCCs Hardware. I just tried amdcleanup utility to take of the 14.12s. Still a black screen when starting with the 7950 (no Bios screen nothing so cant even boot in safe mode when connected to the 7950)

Im thinking of disabling the VGA and restarting but am hesitant in case I cant manage to get the bios screen back to re-enable it.

Also could it be a PSU problem? I have a 700w psu but have a few hubs and harddrives attached. I have tried with everything disconnected though and still no luck.

I'm tempted to just go out and get an Nvidia card tomorrow now. I really didnt want to and was planning on hopefully upgrading to the 390 this month or when it arrived. I've had black screen issues with ATI drivers in the past but never has it been this bad for me.

Permabanned
Wait, so TW3 profile doesn't actually work properly? I'm downloading the driver so haven't been able to check.

EDIT: Just read notes

WHAT. THE. ****.

So for a crossfire profile we get some half-arsed garbage?

No different to the Dead light profile they re-introduced last time and said it wasn't fixed still, There hoping people forgot about that one. I've nearly bought a second 290x several times but I'm really glad I didn't.

Associate
Surprise surprise, I've installed these latest drivers and I know they're only supposed to be for The Witcher 3 and Project Cars (neither of which I own) but installed anyway, GTAV performance has dropped a fair bit.

Still running 7970s in crossfire. I had a bit of stutter until I used the GTA V drivers and it was all fixed. Tried the latest beta and ended up with stutter again. I've lowered the settings which has fixed that problem, but god damn it AMD.....has it really come to the point where new drivers are making things worse?

Bah 980 Tis will be ordered next week.

Man of Honour
Surprise surprise, I've installed these latest drivers and I know they're only supposed to be for The Witcher 3 and Project Cars (neither of which I own) but installed anyway, GTAV performance has dropped a fair bit.

Still running 7970s in crossfire. I had a bit of stutter until I used the GTA V drivers and it was all fixed. Tried the latest beta and ended up with stutter again. I've lowered the settings which has fixed that problem, but god damn it AMD.....has it really come to the point where new drivers are making things worse?

Bah 980 Tis will be ordered next week.

GTAV performance has improved for me with crossfire.

Soldato
And GTA V performance had dropped for me, single 7950 too! Now i get stuttering pretty bad when driving fast, never had that before on the previous Beta's.

Jeez AMD, you really know how to **** people off! :(

I had that on other beta drivers.. Been fixed since using Windows 10 drivers and now these 15.5.. What I also done is messed around with Page file in Windows after hearing reports of GTA5 hitting page file little harder..
I put this back onto Windows managed so maybe this plays some part?

How is your Page File setup?

Associate
Nice....just updated to Windows 10 10130 (which installed the crap win 10 amd driver with it). In the past hour I've had three display driver has stopped working errors.

Thanks AMD. You should give those million monkeys bashing out code on their keyboards a raise.

tumblr_mzno6ctrer1r68yyfo1_1280_zpstydutej4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice....just updated to Windows 10 10130 (which installed the crap win 10 amd driver with it). In the past hour I've had three display driver has stopped working errors.

Thanks AMD. You should give those million monkeys bashing out code on their keyboards a raise.

Well it is an unreleased OS and shouldn't be used as a daily driver! They is going to be bugs and issue and compatibility issue! Personally in my little testing it was compatibility that stopped me from keep using it.

Associate
I can't disagree but the fact that the final Windows 10 release is less than two months away is a little worrying. The windows 8.1 drivers work better on Windows 10 than the 10 ones do. Of late I though the driver releases had slowed down due to them working on the Win 10 ones. Clearly not.

Maybe spunking all their time on the Fiji drivers.

Soldato
I had that on other beta drivers.. Been fixed since using Windows 10 drivers and now these 15.5.. What I also done is messed around with Page file in Windows after hearing reports of GTA5 hitting page file little harder..
I put this back onto Windows managed so maybe this plays some part?

How is your Page File setup?

I got 16GB RAM with an 8GB pagefile, u think i need to increase it to 16GB?

Back
Top Bottom