• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Don't know if this has been asked before, but Matt is there going to be any more support for VSR any time soon? as I really want to downsample at a 21:9 resolution instead of running 3200x1800 on my 29" um65 :p

I also haven't had any problems on either my 290x or 7970m in the whole time that I've had them both :)

Man of Honour
The witcher 3is running well still and the shadow flickering doesn't occur too often. What I am finding strange is that occasionally the whole screen flashes white for what seems to be a few frames since it lasts for less than a second. A bug I guess.

Caporegime
OP
The witcher 3is running well still and the shadow flickering doesn't occur too often. What I am finding strange is that occasionally the whole screen flashes white for what seems to be a few frames since it lasts for less than a second. A bug I guess.

That sometimes occurs if the 295x2 is not being fed enough voltage, so try running it stock just to rule it out mate. :)

Soldato
Had a windows 10 update option I checked if my hardware is compatible and its not apparently. A Radeon HD 7970M will not work with windows 10 according to the PC system check I ran for the windows 10 booking. Hmmm

I was really hoping to make this laptop I use for gaming last till end of year and use Windows 10 - guess not from how things are going.

i've been team red for many years, not through brand loyalty but due to competitive costs via AMD - I have always seen AMD has cheaper to buy for very little extra you get on team green.

With Radeon Pro (or other tools etc) and CCC and an AMD card I've always managed to get by and save over a nvidia solution.

but, Radeon Pro support has stopped from its developer (why AMD didn't employ that guy to rewrite their CCC beyond me ) delayed and late driver updates and now 7970M maybe not working on windows 10 anyhow its getting hard to not be tempted when I upgrade to go with the more expensive but from reading better nvidia solutions...

What has happened to AMD GPU's recently, they used to be one of the best cost per performance options out on the market - ok their CCC was a bit ropey at times, but other tools took care of this, but now even thats starting to dry up.

Soldato
I tried my laptop with the w10 preview and it worked absolutely fine, didn't stay on it for long though, as I wanted to use a 64bit OS

Ah ok, what MGPU was that? As the report I got was 7970M wouldn't work after I upgraded?

Good report to read, hoping for a small possible performance gain, greeted with a message saying card won't work..

Soldato
I had it running on my m17x r4 with a 7970m, I'd suggest you try out the w10 preview yourself first if only to see whether you actually need to upgrade or not ;)

Same as my M17x R4 then. I have been looking over upgrading for ages TBH but I'm always like paid a lot of money for this laptop, eek out as many months as I can before I upgrade..

I have the Win10 preview but its a virtual machine so not totally representative of actual performance.

How are AMD windows 10 drivers anyhow?

Caporegime
That sometimes occurs if the 295x2 is not being fed enough voltage, so try running it stock just to rule it out mate. :)

Matt, I've really not been gaming almost at all since Omega's hit due to uni work. Witcher is basically the first game I've tried VSR with.

Two issues I've had and want to know if there is a way to overcome them. One is using 1440p on a 1080p screen, when I enable it everything on my second monitor zooms as well. Enable VSR is clicked on one panel, not on the others.

Only a minor annoyance but is a bit daft basically. More important than that is 120hz. In game it's switching down to 100hz at 1440p and 60hz if I use 1800p. 1440p is decent but even then I can feel it being a bit less smooth panel wise, 60hz is useless to me. Is there something I'm missing here as 1800p on Witcher would be great and looks nicer but at 60hz it feels so so much less smooth even without the flicker I wouldn't use it.

Is there a way to enable 120hz for any res using VSR, because ultimately the downsampling is done on the gpu and is then sent to the screen as a 1080p signal so I can't understand why it can't be 120hz.

Soldato
Same as my M17x R4 then. I have been looking over upgrading for ages TBH but I'm always like paid a lot of money for this laptop, eek out as many months as I can before I upgrade..

I have the Win10 preview but its a virtual machine so not totally representative of actual performance.

How are AMD windows 10 drivers anyhow?

Yeah, they are pretty nice laptops :) been something like 2 and a half years or something like that since I got mine and it still runs nice :D

I got them working easy enough, but never tried any games due to the 3.5gb ram limit of the preview

Associate
Any fix for the Witcher 3 yet on 280X Crossfire Matt?, flickering is ridiculous! Followed the Tessellation fix through AMD website, and installed the 15.5 beta driver. Now with everything pretty much maxed out, the game is buttery smooth including Hair Works stuff @ 60fps 1200p I used AFR for crossfire, BUT the flickering was awful, just recovered from my 3rd fit of the evening :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom