• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Afterburner settings. Click On-screen display tab , Click more button RTTS pops up, Second button down says Show on screen display , click off and try that.

Associate
hello,
i have annoying stuttering on 15.5 and r9 290 tri-x (eg. when he runs or rides the horse)

is there some setting which can cause this or is game related?
thanks

I get the odd stutter now and again when moving fast in the game, when near a village. Do you have Intel? If so, disable HT, C states, Set power options to high performance and limit the game to 60fps.

Caporegime
Afterburner settings. Click On-screen display tab , Click more button RTTS pops up, Second button down says Show on screen display , click off and try that.

Thanks, but thats already off.

Ok try right clicking on the monitoring window and right click and then pause.

That worked, cheers shankly, can close it when paused, and doesn't come back (until i unpause) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I get the odd stutter now and again when moving fast in the game, when near a village. Do you have Intel? If so, disable HT, C states, Set power options to high performance and limit the game to 60fps.

I think the stutter happens when data is loaded in new areas. If you hang around an area for long enough the stutter disappears.

I wonder if installing on an SSD would sort that problem.

Soldato
AMD Catalyst™ 15.5 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86

Linux Distributions Supported
This version of the AMD Catalyst™ Linux Proprietary Graphics Driver is designed to support the following Linux distributions:
Distributions supported:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 7.0, 6.5, 6.4
Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, 14.04 LTS
SUSE® Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, 12
OpenSuSE 13.1
Distribution specific packages are available for:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 7.0, 6.5
System Requirements
Before attempting to install the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver, the following software must be installed:
Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.16)
Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.17)
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
NOTE: If a Linux 2.6.11 or newer kernel was built with CONFIG_AGP enabled, the kernel AGP frontend is required to load the fglrx kernel module. To identify whether your kernel with CONFIG_AGP enabled, look for CONFIG_AGP=y in the kernel config file, or if the 'agpgart' module is loaded

System Recommendations
For optimal performance and ease of use, the following are available:
Kernel module build environment
Kernel source code include either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers packages
The RPM utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install via RPM packages
The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver to install and work optimally:
gimp-help-en
gimp-help-common
XFree86-Mesa-libGL
libstdc++
libgcc
XFree86-libs
fontconfig
freetype
zlib
gcc
New Features
Support for SUSE® Linux Enterprise Desktop 12
Resolved Issues
[417630]: Fixes the issue of discrete GPU not being powered off in Power-Saving mode on some PowerXpress AMD GPU + AMD APU platforms
[416499]: Fixes minor screen corruption when resuming from S3 caused by display hot plugging
Known Issues
[419960]: Vari-Bright on some configurations is not decreasing brightness as expected

Caporegime
OP
AMD Catalyst™ 15.5 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86

Linux Distributions Supported
This version of the AMD Catalyst™ Linux Proprietary Graphics Driver is designed to support the following Linux distributions:
Distributions supported:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 7.0, 6.5, 6.4
SUSE® Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, 12
OpenSuSE 13.1
Distribution specific packages are available for:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 7.0, 6.5
System Requirements
Before attempting to install the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver, the following software must be installed:
Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.16)
Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.17)
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
NOTE: If a Linux 2.6.11 or newer kernel was built with CONFIG_AGP enabled, the kernel AGP frontend is required to load the fglrx kernel module. To identify whether your kernel with CONFIG_AGP enabled, look for CONFIG_AGP=y in the kernel config file, or if the 'agpgart' module is loaded

System Recommendations
For optimal performance and ease of use, the following are available:
Kernel module build environment
Kernel source code include either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers packages
The RPM utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install via RPM packages
The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver to install and work optimally:
gimp-help-en
gimp-help-common
XFree86-Mesa-libGL
libstdc++
libgcc
XFree86-libs
fontconfig
freetype
zlib
gcc
New Features
Support for SUSE® Linux Enterprise Desktop 12
Resolved Issues
[417630]: Fixes the issue of discrete GPU not being powered off in Power-Saving mode on some PowerXpress AMD GPU + AMD APU platforms
[416499]: Fixes minor screen corruption when resuming from S3 caused by display hot plugging
Known Issues
[419960]: Vari-Bright on some configurations is not decreasing brightness as expected

Thanks Shanks, one for Pete. :)

Associate
I think the stutter happens when data is loaded in new areas. If you hang around an area for long enough the stutter disappears.

I wonder if installing on an SSD would sort that problem.

I get the stutter when it loads up at the start of the game and I am using ssd in raid0

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hey Matt, joining the 295x2 club in a few hours time :)

Quick question for you; I already have 15.5 installed, moving from my 290 to the 295x2, it should be as simple as swapping the card over right? Should not need to reinstall drivers or anything I believe. Is this correct?

Any other tips? Cheers :D

Caporegime
OP
Hey Matt, joining the 295x2 club in a few hours time :)

Quick question for you; I already have 15.5 installed, moving from my 290 to the 295x2, it should be as simple as swapping the card over right? Should not need to reinstall drivers or anything I believe. Is this correct?

Any other tips? Cheers :D

Welcome to the club dude. I love mine, Very quiet cards and look lovely with the Red Radeon Led.

It should work okay, but actually I'd recommend uninstalling the drivers first, then powering down the pc and installing the new gpu.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Welcome to the club dude. I love mine, Very quiet cards and look lovely with the Red Radeon Led.

It should work okay, but actually I'd recommend uninstalling the drivers first, then powering down the pc and installing the new gpu.

I had the feeling you may say that. Will do it to be on the safe side :)

Yeah, I really like the way the card looks, the red radeon led will sure look great in my case. Will take some picture and post it tomorrow probably.

First time multi gpu for me. Really looking forward to it :D

Caporegime
Matt quick question. What happens when a 7990 draws too much power? I tried flashing my 7990 to your bios but can't run it anywhere near the speeds I was able to previously.

Before your BIOS I could run 1.2ghz/1.6ghz/+20%

With your BIOS I can't run anything much stock without freezing and the driver recovery message. My 7990 has 2x8 pin connectors and Volterra VRMs. I suspect your BIOS lets it either draw more power than the card can supply or my PSU isn't upto it (700W Coolermaster).

Caporegime
OP
I had the feeling you may say that. Will do it to be on the safe side :)

Yeah, I really like the way the card looks, the red radeon led will sure look great in my case. Will take some picture and post it tomorrow probably.

First time multi gpu for me. Really looking forward to it :D

Cool, don't be too put off by the horror stories of a vocal few. Fact is that CrossFire works wonderfully well in most titles, but you do have to tweak things from time to time to get the best performance. I'm always around to help though, been using CrossFire since the 1900XTX so I've seen it all. :D

Matt quick question. What happens when a 7990 draws too much power? I tried flashing my 7990 to your bios but can't run it anywhere near the speeds I was able to previously.

Before your BIOS I could run 1.2ghz/1.6ghz/+20%

With your BIOS I can't run anything much stock without freezing and the driver recovery message. My 7990 has 2x8 pin connectors and Volterra VRMs. I suspect your BIOS lets it either draw more power than the card can supply or my PSU isn't upto it (700W Coolermaster).

When the 7990 draws too much power it usually downclocks to 950Mhz and will eventually turn itself off. It has an internal limit that even my bios can't overcome.

Did you flash the correct bios to the Master/Slave gpu? I labeled them to make it easy. If you can share with me your stock bios, i can take a look and compare it to mine. The stock bios had such a low TDP level that the gpu rarely spent much time at full boost clocks which made overclocking limited.

Soldato
Matt, and update displayport link failure, proper working witcher 3, elite?

May be on my cards a bit longer after all.

Oh, and do you know if they will be looking into hawken at all? Mostly ok, but with some flickering. Though to be honest not sure if game or driver issue on that.

Oh and assetto Corsa.

Oh, and dragon age recently started developing a bit of flickering - again not sure if game or drivers. Not looked into it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Matt, and update displayport link failure, proper working witcher 3, elite?

May be on my cards a bit longer after all.

Oh, and do you know if they will be looking into hawken at all? Mostly ok, but with some flickering. Though to be honest not sure if game or driver issue on that.

Oh and assetto Corsa.

Oh, and dragon age recently started developing a bit of flickering - again not sure if game or drivers. Not looked into it.

No updates from what I've previously said, I'll post here when i have some.

Back
Top Bottom