**** Official LG G4 Discussion Thread ****

Soldato
So I've had an afternoon with the phone and despite it's big screen and good camera I'm not feeling it.

It's a tad slower than the Z3 and I'm missing the ease of use of the Z3 and the additions that Sony have baked into the software.

Early days yet but this phone might not last the course.

I actually find it faster than my Z3c, battery life isn't as good mind.

Associate
Well, having set-up the phone there's one obvious dislike... the user interface is different to what I'm used to on the S4 and the lack of familiarity is off-putting. But this should soon fade away as I get used to it. Setting up accounts was easy since Google saved my settings from the S4. One downside is that I've got no clue how to transfer stuff to it via NFC from my S4. Tapping the back of the phone does nothing on the S4 screen. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Another thing is the fact that widgets on existing apps have yet to be updated for the 5x5 form factor. So I've got some weird looking 4xN widgets. I'm wondering whether we can change the 5x5 form factor to 4x5 or something. It's handy to have more icons on screen, but the widgets don't fit... ugh. I'm already missing the battery saving mode from the S4, the battery came at 50% and its apparently used up a quarter in these few hours of fiddling around with settings and trying to set the phone up to a similar level to my S4.

The micro USB port looked a bit smaller than usual to me, I was worried it used a different charger, but I plugged in the charging cable from my S4 and it works. Once I get it to 100% I'll start to see how the battery life is. Can't check it properly without a full charge. I'll also be able to say how long it takes to charge.

I'd also take a picture of this, but CBA, the microSD and SIM slot are in the same place. I.e. the microSD slots in just above the SIM. I was initially confused about which slot to put my SIM in, but they have a guidance icon next to the slot to tell us what goes where.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Widgets and grid positions are a non-issue. Simply bin the stock launcher of all OEM handsets and use Nova Launcher. It is way way way better at everything by comparison and allows full control over widget sizing and grid positioning.

Soldato
Seems as though there are some 'stickers' appearing for the back case that will allow Qi charging. Not sure how I feel about a £5 sticker from China charging my phone - but will keep an eye on the developments. Aliexpress have them at the moment I think but stock is on order.

Soldato
Soldato
Seems as though there are some 'stickers' appearing for the back case that will allow Qi charging. Not sure how I feel about a £5 sticker from China charging my phone - but will keep an eye on the developments. Aliexpress have them at the moment I think but stock is on order.

Took the back cover off my 930 once, and the Qi charging is essentially a sticker with the coupled coils stuck on to the cover.

Soldato
Bootloader can be unlocked by LG now (voids warranty and is apparently irreversible). TWRP and root available once unlocked. Going to give it a few weeks before doing this though, wait for some other methods etc to become available.

Associate
Bootloader can be unlocked by LG now (voids warranty and is apparently irreversible). TWRP and root available once unlocked. Going to give it a few weeks before doing this though, wait for some other methods etc to become available.

Wow, that sucks. I thought Samsung's Knox was a pain but at least there are ways around that.

Associate
Very tempted to get this myself. The capability of taking photos in RAW, alongside having expandable storage makes it very attractive. If the S6 didn't cost so much for a 64gb version, I'd probably get one instead of the G4.

Currently using a three year old flagship with a non-removable battery... about time I upgraded!

Soldato
^^I bought myself a dash micro incase the lack of a micro sd slot on my s6 causes me problems though I doubt it will tbh and apparently the s6 is getting RAW with the next update.

Back
Top Bottom