The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Bugs seem to be coming thick and fast now. I just got nicked the upgraded axi sign, that is supposed to turn an enemy in to an ally. All it does is make them attack me, though they don't do any damage.

Soldato
That old Nilfguard wins on a draw is a real pain when I was trying to beat the old boat guy in Oreton! So many times he either beat me due to a draw or beat me on the last card!

Soldato
Bugs seem to be coming thick and fast now. I just got nicked the upgraded axi sign, that is supposed to turn an enemy in to an ally. All it does is make them attack me, though they don't do any damage.

when you activate second tier of signs, do you need both on your "menu"?

Soldato
Just finished the game this morning. What an epic experience!. Best RPG that iv played in a long time. The main story really picks up in the second half of this game and I couldn't put it down. It was amazing.

Soldato
How many of you are playing this with hairworks disabled?

I've been playing since release with everything maxed at 1200p and it's playable no probs. But it keeps nagging me that hair works is killing too many fps for the IQ gain. This is why I was contemplating buying another 970. But I dont know if I will be dissapointed with SLI.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I play with it on with my 980 at 1080p, everything else on max except shadows on high. Hardly ever drops below 50fps and 90% time it is at 60fps.

I could easily get a constant 60fps with it off but i think it looks fantastic so i live with drops into the low 50's from time to time.

Another killer is foliage visibility but i leave that maxed as well as the extra foliage draw distance is quite significant.

Soldato
Gwent is all about spies, 1st turn throw as many spies as possible, and stack your deck with decoys to take enemy spies and put them in your hand once they are placed on your field. Sometimes the enemy will blow some damage cards in the first turn even when you're stacking their board with spies, in which case surrendering the first round and completely dominating the next two with massive card advantage is even sweeter than normal.

The most broken card in the game is the Mysterious Elf, 0 damage spy that is immune to any form of board removal, including decoys. Completely broken, but I have no idea where to get it. :(

Associate
Think I've bit off more than I can chew with one of the Witcher contracts (Oxenfurt Drunk), everything I do does nearly no damage to that damn thing and it takes 1/2 my health with one hit :(

Guess I shouldn't take a contract 6 levels above me, either that or I'll just have to turn difficulty down but I'd rather not.

Soldato

I've been playing since release with everything maxed at 1200p and it's playable no probs. But it keeps nagging me that hair works is killing too many fps for the IQ gain. This is why I was contemplating buying another 970. But I dont know if I will be dissapointed with SLI.

I play with Hairworks off.

Incidently, I see a new patch is out today. 1.06?

Caporegime
Think I've bit off more than I can chew with one of the Witcher contracts (Oxenfurt Drunk), everything I do does nearly no damage to that damn thing and it takes 1/2 my health with one hit :(

Guess I shouldn't take a contract 6 levels above me, either that or I'll just have to turn difficulty down but I'd rather not.

I'm the same, ran into an outlaw camp and I was level 4 and they were all level 9/10, playing on one difficulty down from max. Took bloody ages killing them all, had to flit around the camp drawing them out, but satisfying when I won. Much better than battling a handful of similar level monsters because it was so hard.

Combat is a bit broken though, you can just stand out of the max range the bandits will come out and crossbow them. If they just rushed me it would be impossible for me to win, but they would come out so far and stop, allowing me to back off, heal, and come back again and again.

Last edited:
Soldato

Why not just come back to it once you've levelled a bit?

Man of Honour

Hairworks on with x8 tesselation. 1440p, mostly stays at 60fps, occasional drops to 40fps. Full tesselation gets a little choppy and goes down to 30fps. 295X2 here.

Caporegime
I pretty much always sacrifice the first round for card advantage. The opponent usually practically let's you win the 2nd round too if you have a few more cards than them.

Getting sick of crashes.

That old Nilfguard wins on a draw is a real pain when I was trying to beat the old boat guy in Oreton! So many times he either beat me due to a draw or beat me on the last card!

Gwent is all about spies, 1st turn throw as many spies as possible, and stack your deck with decoys to take enemy spies and put them in your hand once they are placed on your field. Sometimes the enemy will blow some damage cards in the first turn even when you're stacking their board with spies, in which case surrendering the first round and completely dominating the next two with massive card advantage is even sweeter than normal.

The most broken card in the game is the Mysterious Elf, 0 damage spy that is immune to any form of board removal, including decoys. Completely broken, but I have no idea where to get it. :(

In general the first round is about using up spies, stealing and replaying spies and trying to get your opponent to waste some better cards.

After say 2-3 spy cards being played the opposition usually has a strong point advantage but ultimately if you play cards they will either pass, in which case you can work out if you can win easily without spending too many cards. IE you may have 20 points less and a 3 card advantage, but playing a weather card and one high points card you could win. THe other option is if you throw away a weaker card you could force them to play more stronger cards staying in the round. They may have a 30 point lead on you but throwing away a 3-5 point card could force them to waste a scorch, a weather card, a trumpet or one of their stronger hero cards. More than a few games I've gotten an opponent to end up with a ridiculously strong hand but only 1 or 2 cards left for the remaining rounds vs your own 3-5 meaning an almost certain win. Don't be afraid to keep pushing them even if you are losing big. Losing big means they've played strong cards and leaves you stronger later.

Gwent is one of the exceptionally few things in the game that levels really well throughout the game :p

Late game matches where both sides draw 2-3 spies, have 2-3 decoys, have 2 medics... two rounds of both sides playing, decoying, replaying, redecoying, replaying over and over for a round. Then a second round of medics, spies, decoys again. Going into the last round with 13 cards a piece and having an epic round is great.

Close combat scorch though is epic, combined with a winter weather card can be crushing. Usually when facing a monster deck you can face a round where you have 10-15 cards all in close combat, opponent passes because they have a seemingly unbeatable hand, play winter card and you have say 12 cards all equal on 1 point. Play close combat scorch and boom, scorches all 12 cards.

Soldato
OP
Finished yesterday.
Exactly 200 hours, as reported by Steam.

What can I say ? It was the best game I have ever experienced. Combined my two favourite things about games - exploration + interactive narrative - into a single package, at higher quality than anyone has achieved before. Also, it was a complete love-letter to the fans of the book saga like me. I have never experienced so many strong emotions in a game before..or hell, in a movie or TV.
It was something special indeed. I had the beautiful, if a little bittersweet, ending I hoped for, too, without any consulting with guides or what not.

Now I am just depressed this amazing journey is over. The books, the game trilogy...it spanned 16 years, and now it is over. Sure, there will be expansions, but those will most likely take place before the conclusion..

Listening to soundtrack now, at least. I think once all expansions are out I will have to replay it whole :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished yesterday.
Exactly 200 hours, as reported by Steam.

What can I say ? It was the best game I have ever experienced. Combined my two favourite things about games - exploration + interactive narrative - into a single package, at higher quality than anyone has achieved before. Also, it was a complete love-letter to the fans of the book saga like me. I have never experienced so many strong emotions in a game before..or hell, in a movie or TV.
It was something special indeed. I had the beautiful, if a little bittersweet, ending I hoped for, too, without any consulting with guides or what not.

Now I am just depressed this amazing journey is over. The books, the game trilogy...it spanned 16 years, and now it is over. Sure, there will be expansions, but those will most likely take place before the conclusion..

Listening to soundtrack now, at least. I think once all expansions are out I will have to replay it whole :)

I'm nowhere near finished, but it's definitely the best RPG I've played and definitely the largest game too.

Soldato
I'm level 18 and am trying to catch up on Witcher Contracts and side missions within 5 levels lower than me. The quality of these side missions is so good that I've had to put the main story on hold for hours so that I can catch up.

My main story so far...

I'm in Skelleige with Jennifer and have just used the mask that we stole shortly after our "encounter" on the unicorn.

I'm assuming I have a few hours of game play left yet. :cool:

Soldato

I'm actually going through the Witcher 2 again now with my Witcher 1 save. After which I'll import that to 3 for my second play through. :D

This is easily my game of the year, and the best RPG I've played since the Baldur's Gate series ended.

Back
Top Bottom