Project - 37a (Wendyhouse)

Soldato
OP
Top work - quickie regarding your groundwork - roughly how deep & wide are the concrete footings?

I'm planning a shed for my motorbike and it's about this size :)

Massively overkill was the general consensus once they were dug! In fairness they're about 300mm deep by about 500-600 wide in the shallower parts and about 600mm deep where the driver went a bit OTT. A few comments were passed that new builds are built on these dimension footings.

Soldato
OP
Todays update, unfortunately not much to look at, in fact it's nearly heartbreaking how little it has changed!
Internal skin is starting to come up now with the insulation in the cavity.

Only other lesson to come from today is don't drill outwards in on hammer with a 25mm bit :-\ huge mess on my living room wall and its took a fair bit of plaster off, fortunately it's behind the TV so it'll be filled and painted over and then cat5 faceplated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No damp cause? Have you have the cowboys round?

There will be DPC. I'm no builder so wouldn't have a clue where it goes but I know they are doing it in he next couple of weeks. There's still 4 tonnes of stone and insulation to go down in the flooring so I'm guessing it will go I there somewhere.

Associate
No builder myself but damp course should be visible at least and should be clear in this photo

** Image removed **

Over 1,280 pixels wide and spoiler tags aren't allowed.

Surveyor

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
No it shouldnt be, and be sides engineering brick are damp proof also.
Call me old school but i was taught to set it all out build internal block/brick first so you dont get a james bond like in thoses internal corners.

Soldato
OP
No damp cause? Have you have the cowboys round?

No builder myself but damp course should be visible at least and should be clear in this photo

So I've had a look at my invoices and although I haven't yet spoken to my builders the blues they have used are engineering blocks and can be used as a DPC.

I am no builder at all, I regularly hurt myself near building implements but I've checked the website and it says the blocks can can be used as a DPC, I won't be asking them if they've put in a DPC as I'm confident they have me covered.

Soldato
OP
Nice update today, probably only half a day more on the block work until finished. I'm told the roof should be on within the next couple of weekends as well. Really happy with the progress today, felt like it was taking forever but the finishing line is starting to be within site

Rubbish mound is now gone which make the garden look loads bigger

Double skin most of the way round now

This will be the office room

So much hype over having my side gate back on, the wall will be rendered but at least it's there and privacy has returned

Garden looking like a garden

***Had a conversation about damp proofing and the bottom blocks are laid on membrane on the concrete footings, the 2 rows of engineering blocks are plenty enough as they are a DPC in themself anyway. When the floor is laid there will be more membrane down as well. My mind is at rest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom