Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Associate
Rather than type it out again, I'll explain my experience with my long-awaited replacement by copying the email I just sent to the Acer escalation contact who has been (in fairness) helping me sort this out:

Hi Mark.

The replacement monitor arrived earlier this week - only just got round to unboxing and testing it.

I was a little disappointed to see that the manufacture date on the box is March 2015 - I had expected that would have been from a newer production batch than the first one. The box also looks like it has been opened and resealed again, with an extra layer of tape. I guess in fairness this could have been down to a QC procedure though. Also the VESA mounting bolts on the back looked to have been turned before, with paint missing where a screwdriver bit would have applied pressure.

Ultimately though all of the above would not matter if I got a panel that didn't suffer from the issues my first one did. Sadly, this one is a complete dud.

I cannot get any image whatsover on the screen. I've tried three DisplayPort cables including the bundled one, on all six DP outputs across my two video cards, in both SLI and non-SLI mode, and while Windows detects the display and the LED on the panel goes from orange to blue indicating a signal, the screen remains 100% black. I've tried every refresh rate option from 24Hz to 144Hz, setting it it as primary, secondary and tried with no other displays connected and can't get any life out of it whatsoever. I've tried installing the XB270HU driver, reinstalled the GeForce drivers and G-Sync off and on, no luck at all.

I've attached some photos (apologies for the contrast, tough to get the lighting right) that show the Nvidia display manager reporting three screens connected, and the blue LED indicates the Acer has a signal, but nothing is displayed on the panel.

In addition, in the time since I have been waiting for the replacement panel I have changed motherboard and graphics cards. That means the two screens I've received have been tested across seven graphics cards, two motherboards and around nine DP cables. I'm running another DP monitor which works every single time on all combinations of hardware. I can say with 100% certainty the issues are not with my kit.

Inexplicably, you've replaced my faulty monitor with one that is even more faulty, and the date of manufacture and signs of wear and tear make me fairly confident it isn't even new, let alone of a newer batch.

If you know of any debug mode or device reset that I could try to kick-start this into life I'm all ears, but as it stands it looks like its DOA.

Let me know if you can clear this up and/or offer a solution, otherwise I think it's time to collect these back and get a full refund.

You've been very courteous and helpful throughout this, which I appreciate, but with the absolute lack of quality control and massive delays it will take nothing short of a very quick and total resolution to this to stop me from never buying an Acer product again.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Jonas

So from bad to worse really. To recap, my first one was ok in terms of pixels and bleed/glow, but at anything above 100Hz it would flicker to black, and sometimes lock up my GPU to the point I needed to reboot. On anything other than one particular DP cable Windows would report back the maximum refresh rate as either 85Hz or 100Hz, and even forcing other display modes couldn't get it to do 120Hz+ with any reliability.

However, at least it sometimes did something.

Your move, Acer...

2VlfKkO.jpg
rYnhMhR.jpg
BPWZjZA.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Well my replacement has the IPS glow issue. I finally get one without pixel/dirt issues but its now glow. My 2nd one which I still have had much less glow but a spec of dust under the panel.

After contacting them I have a few choices. Either keep one and return the other or send them both back for a full refund via Acer.

I can probably live with a spec of dust but my common sense is telling me I should get a refund and just wait a while to see what else comes along.

The screen itself is fantastic, best screen I've ever used in terms of picture quality.

But... I should probably just slide my dell U2711 back into place for now and go back to 60hz IPS without gsync.

With the monitor costing so much I feel if I keep it then I'm letting them rip me off.

Have until monday to make my mind up..... what a friggin mess.

Associate
Just keep returning them until you get one you are happy with. Note the serial numbers so you get different ones each time.

I will say that all these photos of the glow issue are over exposed, you can tell because of how bright the working screen looks. So the 'ips glow' issue looks a lot worse than it actually is.

I had a similar issue with my Panasonic 42" TV, all 4 corners were slightly bent in and caused glow on all 4 corners in black scenes. I nearly returned it but I didn't bother in the end and don't notice it usually.

Soldato
Well my replacement has the IPS glow issue. I finally get one without pixel/dirt issues but its now glow. My 2nd one which I still have had much less glow but a spec of dust under the panel.

After contacting them I have a few choices. Either keep one and return the other or send them both back for a full refund via Acer.

I can probably live with a spec of dust but my common sense is telling me I should get a refund and just wait a while to see what else comes along.

The screen itself is fantastic, best screen I've ever used in terms of picture quality.

But... I should probably just slide my dell U2711 back into place for now and go back to 60hz IPS without gsync.

With the monitor costing so much I feel if I keep it then I'm letting them rip me off.

Have until monday to make my mind up..... what a friggin mess.

Think about resale value too....................

Soldato
Here is the cluster of dead pixels on the replacement:

DeadPixels_Small.jpg

Those aren't dead... dead pixels are black. They are stuck if anything, although they have a soft edge which is odd. Stuck pixels don't usually do that.

Associate
Those aren't dead... dead pixels are black. They are stuck if anything, although they have a soft edge which is odd. Stuck pixels don't usually do that.

Think it's just the camera, look black when looking at it but they do seem a little different to normal dead pixels.

Anyway UPS collected both monitors today, just gotta wait for a refund.

Soldato
LOL :) was thinking about going for theno competitor hinting please! as they offer free returns delivery to minimise risk? maybe will get one which isn't too bad?

Soldato
:( I like the specs of this monitor........... its a lot of money tho for the quality concerns... whats the worst can happen - it has issues - I return it back free no quibbles and wait or get another type?

Soldato
LOL :) was thinking about going for the rain forest as they offer free returns delivery to minimise risk? maybe will get one which isn't too bad?

There are rumours, stories told by travelers from afar, that they have encountered high quality flawless examples of the creature known as 'XB270HU'. No one really knows if there is truth to this... some say they are merely fairy tales told by the elders to their children as they lay in bed at night to keep away the evil spirits... others believe the stories and continue to search, one day hoping to hold aloft to the sky the holy grail of monitors. Many will die in the pursuit; others will go mad, driven insane by their desire; some will simply give up and return home, while a precious few choose a higher path, one that has become known as the '4K'... a path beset by treachery, false promises and an uncertain future.

Choose wisely, and may your journey be a profitable one.

Soldato
LOL - I just wanna enjoy my 980ti on a big screen monitor and not have any issues - not too much to ask for when paying so much money? hmmmm never had this problem with my BENQ 24" !!!!!

Soldato
I just wanna enjoy my 980ti on a big screen monitor and not have any issues

Then don't buy an acer. While you may well be able to get a screen that has no issues, if it develops ones within warranty then their support is balls, and you will most likely be getting back one which does have the bleed problems etc.

Wait for a company with better support, or go TN, or without gsync, or lower hz.

Associate
Waiting for my original & its replacement to be collected so I can a refund through Acer.

Just wow really... I have to laugh at it sometimes :)

When I get the money back I'm not sure to try 1 last time with a V2 , get a swift or just sit back, wait and endure heavy screen tearing until another option comes along.

Having experienced 144hz IPS + G-sync i'll admit it hurts to go back

Associate
Monitor has now left the building never to be seen again and hopefully money will be back in the bank asap.

? Is now what?, has put me off spending that sort of cash on a monitor again.………, trusty old 24" Dell here I come, good job I didn't bin that one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom