The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Associate
German stuff is a fortune. For dealers there's very little money in them unless the manage to steal a bargain from a collection. There's lots of fakes or adapted non German to look German. Many are back alley stamped with the swastika. It's a minefield if you excuse the pun.

I haven't got any German stuff yet. As Macca says, a lot is faked and I feel like you need to do a lot of research to gain 'the knowledge' before wading in with hard-earned cash!

I thought you had bought a Bren already, Macca?

Thanks guys, shame the market is like that would love an old MP40 or something :(

Tea Drinker
Don
If you buy from a reputable dealer you can guarantee the provenance however it'll cost you.

The German stuff is wanted worldwide especially to the Yanks. If you want expensive go to France, the shops selling militaria around the Normandy landing areas are lol € because the Yanks visit

Tea Drinker
Don
Here you go, 1940 Enfield Mk1 Bren .303 LMG matching numbers, original and well used.

I'm not sure the barrel carry handle (the one on the table) is correct and it would have had a rear carry handle as well. Think I'll find both of these over the coming months. And a tripod :D You can go on and on collecting all the right gear, boxes, spare barrels with carry case, all the correct tools, the list is extensive :eek:

tVvX6tg.jpg

dvXFBkH.jpg

TlJzB74.jpg

FNPGLn7.jpg

2YUoiR6.jpg

XiRJW3Z.jpg

jAuUnUB.jpg

SD1bqLr.jpg

7JeW6a6.jpg

Soldato
OP
Here you go, 1940 Enfield Mk1 Bren .303 LMG matching numbers, original and well used.

I'm not sure the barrel carry handle (the one on the table) is correct and it would have had a rear carry handle as well. Think I'll find both of these over the coming months. And a tripod :D You can go on and on collecting all the right gear, boxes, spare barrels with carry case, all the correct tools, the list is extensive :eek:

Beautiful, very well done indeed! The barrel handle is correct in that armourers would use any part they had available, regardless of Mark. But yeah, that handle is a Mark II, and it looks like the rest of the Bren is Mark I so it would be more fitting to source an earlier one. I think the rear butt handle is something to do with stabilising the gun when using it in the anti-aircraft role - there are lots of repros of them about, though.

You're right when you say there's lots to buy - you'll know you've gone too far when you find yourself owning the original, super-rare gunsight that fits into the dovetail slot on your receiver's left side. I last saw one at auction and the estimate was £3,000!

Caporegime
Was waiting for that post macca, dunno how I missed it. It's good to see something in that condition end up with someone who appreciates it so much and will look after it.

Tea Drinker
Don
Beautiful, very well done indeed! The barrel handle is correct in that armourers would use any part they had available, regardless of Mark. But yeah, that handle is a Mark II, and it looks like the rest of the Bren is Mark I so it would be more fitting to source an earlier one. I think the rear butt handle is something to do with stabilising the gun when using it in the anti-aircraft role - there are lots of repros of them about, though.

You're right when you say there's lots to buy - you'll know you've gone too far when you find yourself owning the original, super-rare gunsight that fits into the dovetail slot on your receiver's left side. I last saw one at auction and the estimate was £3,000!

Is that the line of sight? Facebook Bren group say there's only 35 in existence :p

Going to pick up a proper carry handle and have picked up an original manual and a later (1944) carry case for the lot so I can throw it in the cupboard.

Early butt plate is probably a definite buy if I can find one :)

Soldato
OP
Fixed line sight or something? I don't actually know how it works but I think they took them off and trialed some Enfield Number 4 sniper rifles with it. (Purely from memory: I might be making that all up!)

Soldato
Some nice Deac's in this thread, they make me weak at the knees!

Currently half way through my firearms club probation period so come Christmas I can submit my application for a FAC Then sometime next year (when the red tape is done) I plan to pick up a few live firing examples of those in this thread! Namely the Enfield Mk4 and Mosin Nagant.

Soldato
OP
Sorted your barrel handle yet Macca? Sadly, I'm going to shift my Bren. I really, really, really want a nice 1796 Light Cavalry sabre and the Bren takes up a lot of space. Swords can go on the wall; light MGs can't. Also want to sell my lovely 1886 boxlock as that's gathering dust in a wardrobe right now.

Edit: swirly Damascus steel barrels...

sY2jTxjl.jpg

...maybe I'll just keep it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorted your barrel handle yet Macca? Sadly, I'm going to shift my Bren. I really, really, really want a nice 1796 Light Cavalry sabre and the Bren takes up a lot of space. Swords can go on the wall; light MGs can't. Also want to sell my lovely 1886 boxlock as that's gathering dust in a wardrobe right now.

The logical answer is to buy a bigger house.

Back
Top Bottom