• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury Pro Fiji Owners Thread

Caporegime
Going through Metro 2033 again at the mo, and im well impressed with how it runs on these, im getting mostly 120+, maxed out (just the PhysX off), ive even got the Advanced DOF On, which i remember being a crippler :cool:

Associate
Seems that OCUK now only have the non-OC tri-x available. I had ordered the OC but got a non-OC. I've been asked if I want a refund or if I want something else for the same price.

The price of the non-OC is similar to what the OC was before it got de-listed. Any suggestions gentlemen?

Soldato
Seems that OCUK now only have the non-OC tri-x available. I had ordered the OC but got a non-OC. I've been asked if I want a refund or if I want something else for the same price.

The price of the non-OC is similar to what the OC was before it got de-listed. Any suggestions gentlemen?
I'd just see if it does the 40hz extra... If it does, keep the card tbh. It's equal to the strix and if you still want a fury pro those are your options.

Associate

They did the same to me during the week, so I think that confirms it wasn't an accident!
I decided to keep the card and overclocked it myself.

I got a refund on my delivery cost (effectively the price difference) and left it at that, didn't want to be waiting for RMA/returns and all that process.

Card itself is fantastic though!

Associate
Just wondering if anyone had unlocked the cores on the fury pro. And if so if they encountered any stability problems. Tempted to unlock an additional 4 CUs (low) based on my CUInfo but just wondering its worth it.

Soldato
OK I haven’t finished reading the whole thread yet but what’s verdict for people who moved from a 290X to Fury?

While I don’t really need an upgrade (yet) I am tempted. In some reviews they had the Fury 30% ahead of the 290X but in others it was much lower, particularly at lower resolutions. I game at 1920 x 1200 and some of the benches don’t show much of an increase.

Last edited:
Associate
Just wondering if anyone had unlocked the cores on the fury pro. And if so if they encountered any stability problems. Tempted to unlock an additional 4 CUs (low) based on my CUInfo but just wondering its worth it.

Mine unlocked fully and has been like it for quite a few weeks. This is despite it reporting one CU was damaged. Had no problems at all :)

Thanks, I was going to hang on but couldn't resist at the price I got it for.

I guess that was from the same place I got it :)

Associate
Mine unlocked fully and has been like it for quite a few weeks. This is despite it reporting one CU was damaged. Had no problems at all :)

I guess that was from the same place I got it :)

Thanks. Will give it a shot this week so. I'll try the 4 low first then if that looks ok I'll try unlock all. Can always flash back the original bios if need be.

Permabanned
OK I haven’t finished reading the whole thread yet but what’s verdict for people who moved from a 290X to Fury?

While I don’t really need an upgrade (yet) I am tempted. I some reviews they had the Fury 30% ahead of the 290X but in others it was much lower, particularly at lower resolutions. I game at 1920 x 1200 and some of the benches don’t show much of an increase.

I moved from an MSI Twin Frozer 290x Gaming to a Sapphire Fury Tri-X.

I'm happy I did but in all honesty that is more to do with the fact that I had a bad 290x. It suffered from heat issues. If I had as an example owned a Sapphire Tri-X/Vapor-X 290x that seem to have handled the Hawaii temps well then I would be a bit disappointed.

While performance at stock clocks is better on the Fury there is little to no overclocking headroom and as the benchmark threads on this site often show a well overclocked 290x can often be ahead of an overclocked Fury.

There also seems to be inconsistencies where the Fury just does not perform as good as it could in some games and lose to the Hawaii chip even though it should do better than a 290x when you look at the processor count.

As I said results seem to be inconsistent, You can have games where the Fury is 10 to 20 frames ahead and others where it loses.

I remember reading an article by AMD regarding how HBM cards would need fine tuning on a game to game basis, It was briefly discussed on this forum and then we all moved on. I now wonder if this is an example of that.

If you are happy with the 290x and it runs nice then I'd wait for the next gen but if like me you are not happy with the 290x in some way and want a replacement AMD card try and save a little more for a Fury X.

The Sapphire Fury Tri-X really is a great card but it's not miles ahead of a good 290x and the difference is not really worth the couple hundred it'll cost on top of the 290x resale value.

Associate
Just wanted to say thanks horrorwood. Have fully unlocked my fury pro, and its all working like a champ. Appears to be Benchmark and game stable at 1050. Might try and push it further but cant complain with the free extra performance. Amazed how quiet these cards are even compared to my old 290 tri x.

Soldato
I moved from an MSI Twin Frozer 290x Gaming to a Sapphire Fury Tri-X.

I'm happy I did but in all honesty that is more to do with the fact that I had a bad 290x. It suffered from heat issues. If I had as an example owned a Sapphire Tri-X/Vapor-X 290x that seem to have handled the Hawaii temps well then I would be a bit disappointed.

While performance at stock clocks is better on the Fury there is little to no overclocking headroom and as the benchmark threads on this site often show a well overclocked 290x can often be ahead of an overclocked Fury.

There also seems to be inconsistencies where the Fury just does not perform as good as it could in some games and lose to the Hawaii chip even though it should do better than a 290x when you look at the processor count.

As I said results seem to be inconsistent, You can have games where the Fury is 10 to 20 frames ahead and others where it loses.

I remember reading an article by AMD regarding how HBM cards would need fine tuning on a game to game basis, It was briefly discussed on this forum and then we all moved on. I now wonder if this is an example of that.

If you are happy with the 290x and it runs nice then I'd wait for the next gen but if like me you are not happy with the 290x in some way and want a replacement AMD card try and save a little more for a Fury X.

The Sapphire Fury Tri-X really is a great card but it's not miles ahead of a good 290x and the difference is not really worth the couple hundred it'll cost on top of the 290x resale value.

Thanks, good reply. I am happy with the 290X - no heat or noise issues with the Windforce, it's pretty good actually, even two years later, it's just two years old, that's the only issue!

Hm, I might wait and see what the requirements are for Steam VR first. Cheers.

Caporegime
Thanks, good reply. I am happy with the 290X - no heat or noise issues with the Windforce, it's pretty good actually, even two years later, it's just two years old, that's the only issue!

Hm, I might wait and see what the requirements are for Steam VR first. Cheers.

I'd add another 290X instead of pondering a switch to Fury tbh Rez, still a great combo when it works well :cool:

(just need to give AMD a few months to sort their Crossfire profile out sometimes, but at least the game price goes down!!! :D)

Associate
All this talk of unlocking is tempting me. I have to ask what the plan is if the flash goes arse end up? you just flick the switch and get the second bios as a backup?

For me the plan was flick the switch, so boot into windows on the untouched bios. Then within windows flick the switch and flash the original bios back onto it. Figured worse case scenario I'd just use the 2nd bios if I couldn't flash back the original.

Soldato
I'd add another 290X instead of pondering a switch to Fury tbh Rez, still a great combo when it works well :cool:

(just need to give AMD a few months to sort their Crossfire profile out sometimes, but at least the game price goes down!!! :D)

I have always avoided Xfire so far due to the known issues with it, but I haven’t ruled it out. You don’t need the exact same card again do you? Like should any 290X work in crossfire?

Back
Top Bottom