• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury Pro Fiji Owners Thread

Caporegime
I have always avoided Xfire so far due to the known issues with it, but I haven’t ruled it out. You don’t need the exact same card again do you? Like should any 290X work in crossfire?

Yes Rez, any other 290X should be fine :)

It's a bloody powerful combo tbh, and their are some sweet games coming up that should take advantage of it nicely :cool:

Permabanned
Yes Rez, any other 290X should be fine :)

It's a bloody powerful combo tbh, and their are some sweet games coming up that should take advantage of it nicely :cool:

A 290, 390 and 390x will all work with a 290x as well.

Personally I'd go with a 390 and crossfire that with my 290x, Then I'd put my 290x up for sale and once sold buy another 390. Just so they match up nicely in my mind.

Caporegime
XFX Preparing Custom Radeon R9 Fury

XFX-R9-FURY-DD-box.jpg

http://videocardz.com/57534/xfx-preparing-custom-radeon-r9-fury

Looks like I'll be finding out when I come back from holiday. Curse my impetuous nature. :o

:cool:

Caporegime
Just had a heart stopping moment, was playing a bit of GTA V, and just thought id check to see if my fans were going, and just as id looked at my 2nd card, the fans wen't going, they just twitched, and its temps were around 67, so i just stared at the ground to make my frames shoot up, and to get my cards heated up again so my temps would rise, and they kicked back in, tested a few times, and they seem to just go off and on all the time, only kicking in when the temp starts to rise on it, then when the temps are lowering, they go back off (my primary cards fans were going non stop), so when i caught the fans twitching, i must have caught them just going off again :cool:

No wonder the buggers are quiet when im gaming! :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just had a heart stopping moment, was playing a bit of GTA V, and just thought id check to see if my fans were going, and just as id looked at my 2nd card, the fans wen't going, they just twitched, and its temps were around 67, so i just stared at the ground to make my frames shoot up, and to get my cards heated up again so my temps would rise, and they kicked back in, tested a few times, and they seem to just go off and on all the time, only kicking in when the temp starts to rise on it, then when the temps are lowering, they go back off (my primary cards fans were going non stop), so when i caught the fans twitching, i must have caught them just going off again :cool:

No wonder the buggers are quiet when im gaming! :D

Nice!!! Really odd decision then for AMD not to allow partners to develop air coolers for the X if they do run so cool. would have helped I think, esp for those who didn't want any potential pump issues!!

Caporegime
Nice!!! Really odd decision then for AMD not to allow partners to develop air coolers for the X if they do run so cool. would have helped I think, esp for those who didn't want any potential pump issues!!

Yeah, look at the piddly fan the Nanos got, and supposedly that copes, as theres a guy over on Guru says hes got his Nano at 1070 on the core, and it stays under 80.

Thought when they got over 50, they'd just come on and stay on, but obviously not :p

Associate
They did the same to me during the week, so I think that confirms it wasn't an accident!
I decided to keep the card and overclocked it myself.

I got a refund on my delivery cost (effectively the price difference) and left it at that, didn't want to be waiting for RMA/returns and all that process.

Card itself is fantastic though!

+1

I wasnt going to be sending it back when I can probably get the overclock up 40Hz myself.

Photo coming in a sec....finally getting onto TROH. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Ah.....that's better!! ;)

21630036516_db639721d3_c.jpg

:D

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

Make Sapphire Tri-X, maonayze, Link, Date 23/09/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, r22snapper, Link, Date 10/09/2015
Make Asus Strix, BigDools, Link, Date 06/09/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Ajaxx, Link, Date 01/09/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, LoadsaMoney, Link, Date 14/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Radox-0, Link, Date 06/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, neil473, Link, Date 04/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, IainR, Link, Date 01/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Mr Evil, Link, Date 22/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Nutella33, Link, Date 21/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, sothur, Link, Date 17/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Lokken86, Link, Date 17/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, djtoltec, Link, Date 17/07/2015

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Fury Pro.

Man of Honour
OP
User Reviews.

8 Pack reviews ASUS Fury Strix on air cooling and beyond.

I have always had great sucess when air testing and LN2 testing pretty much all ASUS cards over recent years. Great build quality and software support features making them
so easy to overclock and make big scores with.

On initial inspection the card is huge. Not because of the PCB but because of the massive DC3 cooler used on all ASUS full length Strix GPU. The cooler is the trade mark ASUS
black and red color scheme, supports three fans and some very substancial heat pipes. These heat pipes are in direct contact with the GPU and thus the aim is to make the
transfer of heat into them more efficient. The cooler is two slot so cards can be placed side by side without issue in upto 4 way Cross Fire X configuration. The backplate is not
only substancial in thickness and clean in looks it also supports an extra shim around the core area. This shim painted red is designed to further protect the BGA from cracking
if flexed and prolongue the longevity of the card. Lets take a look at this slick looking card mounted in my review system.

This ASUS Strix Fury DC3 was my first AMD Fury to try so I was keen to see how the card performed and overclocked.

Test system:
5960X 4875ghz
ASUS Rampage 5 extreme X99 MB
Kingston Predator DDR4
Kingston SSD
8Pack Superflower 2000w PSU

Microsoft WIndows 8.1
AMD Cataylst 15.7 WHQL Drivers.

Here are the results:
3D Mark Firestrike

3D Mark Firestrike Xtreme

3D Mark Firstrike Ultra 4K

Heaven 4.0 maxed out 1080p

Valley Xtreme HD setting 1080p

Heaven 4.0 Maxed out 4K

Valley Xtreme HD 4K

So as we can see using stock fan profile and stock volts my sample was rock stable at an overclock of 1100mhz on the GPU and 575mhz on the HBM memory. This yielded an
aproximate gain of 10% in terms of bench mark scores over the stock Fury GPU. Fury is not known for its crazy overclocking prowess but 10% free performance is not to be
sniffed at!!

The cooler for this card was very, very good indeed. AMD cards have a reputation for high heat output but the new DC3 designed cooler dealt with the overclocked card very
easily. At idle the temp of the card with the fans not spinning in 0db mode was around 48-49C. Even more impressive was that even with the card under full load the cooler
was almost silent while keeping GPU temps below 70C at all times with the average load temp being around 68C.

In summary if your in the market for an AMD Fury card the ASUS is a great choice. Its well built and packaged, cool and silent in operation and yields a decent performance
boost from Overclocking,

LN2 results:
Josh a budding Overclocker in our technical department is an AMD fan and saw the potential for XOC with this card. So we decided to team up and test on Ln2. We modded
the card in line with ASUS guide so LN2 could be used. This essentially means moding the 0.95v reference rail to avoid block screens at low temperatures and high voltages.
modding this rail to be around 1.3v meant we could bench around -90 with a smooth benching experience and no black screen issues.

We then flashed an ASUS R and D bios which allowed for a special version of GPU tweak to run high Core and Memory voltages. Using Josh's CPU and my LN2 pots, Kingston
mems and 8Pack PSU we managed to take the 3D Mark Sky Diver global first place with an overclock of 1437 on the core and 1025mhz on the HBM memory. Thats over
100% OC on the memory which I thought was very impressive.

Here is the screenshot of this great score.

and the link to Josh's submission on HWbot.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2979704_

Congratulations to Josh on his first Gold Cup.

This card once modded was really fun to bench and we hope to try more next week which I will update the thread with. Thanks to Shamino and Elmor for providing us with the
mods and R and D software for this card, As usual ASUS lead in developing XOC across all GPU.

http://185.103.4.11/showthread.php?t=18693939

Back
Top Bottom