DC Vault

Associate
I am also preparing a line of questions of Stephen as to the status of the project and what exactly we are still doing considering the information he posted in May here: www.stephenbrooks.org/forum/?thread=1564&bork=nmqzbcjzva

I personally don't think a project should be included into a challenge (DC-Vault is an ongoing challenge) if the project admin is telling you to only keep the project as a "side project" while he figures out where he wants to go when he has "free time". The previous poster got an answer to the question in regards to publications, but I think most people want a better idea on what the project is still really doing and why the admin doesn't think we should make it a priority...

Associate
Now that the team stats showed up again at SB... Tallying up the scores for all the BOINC Wrapper accounts for my team, it equates to 40,298,004. When you look at the difference between what the SB site shows for my team to what Free-DC shows, the difference is 40,298,004.3. This would support the concept that points are indeed being separated between YoYo and DPAD during stats exports. Can anyone show any evidence otherwise?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't know how my team mates feel that actually crunch this project, but my concern is the double dipping situation, I don't think it should be happening but at the moment I'm not 100% sure that it is, PDW did point out discrepancies in the scores and rankings between two teams which I have no doubt was true, but whether it was down to double dipping is another thing. I see that at least one Russian team member has his DPAD team name next to his yoyo@home name but the situation that PDW described would suggest that it would be FreeDC team members that are doing this.

Like I said, best wait to when we overtake you :)p) I then we'll know for sure.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Back in March I expected the Russians to overtake Free-DC (according to Free-DC stats site).
Free-DC stats showed the overtake as it predicted, the Vault didn't.
I emailed Rusty about why it didn't in the Vault but apart from a reply of "I'll look into it" I heard no more.
After a week of no reply I looked at the stats on SB's site and they showed Russia was still behind Free-DC. It was the Russian's score that didn't match with the Free-DC stats site.
It took until about May (I think) until Russia overtook Free-DC at SB's site and when that happened the Vault reported it the next day too.

I have no evidence about any stat sites only what I saw happen.

In order to get this issue resolved more quickly it would be helpful Coleslaw if you and your team mates could stop working on Dpad so that we can see whether the overtake happens sooner rather than later, thanks.

Soldato
OP
In order to get this issue resolved more quickly it would be helpful Coleslaw if you and your team mates could stop working on Dpad so that we can see whether the overtake happens sooner rather than later, thanks.

Said with a completely straight face :D

... oh and in other news, it's alive! board came yesterday and I got it going late last night, just putting it through its paces :)

Soldato
OP
Would these paces be on NFS as you stepped up there nicely :)

No, that's just my other rigs, I decided to fill my boots and put every thing on it when I realised how generous the points were. I have ran it there but just 56 work units, I'm trying it on all sorts of projects, it feels like going from dial-up to broadband :)

Associate
Well, to be fair, I do believe there is only 1-2 people even bothering with DPAD right now and it isn't much of a push. I'm one of them and it doesn't even have my full attention. I know when it comes to the code of the page for DC-Vault, that Nano is the one with most of the knowledge. Nano really has little to do with the DC-Vault any more. So, it does take Rusty some time to look into issues. Some of which he has to email Nano to come take a look at. As far as the team over takes, it doesn't happen that often so not sure what the behavior is with it. Like I said before, I'm not real keen on the project right now anyways.

Associate
Here is the responses I got today

Hi,

On points 1 and 2, if you have an "inactive/dormant" status for projects,
which can be reversed later, then that's what I'd recommend doing. That's
what Yoyo@home has done too. I'm going to keep the back end working in case
I need it later (and there are some hobbyists who like to run Muon1 no
matter what).

I'm not sure I like that last sentence as that pretty much says I'm leaving this up so people can potentially just waste resources. However, I guess that is just up to each person to decide.

On point 3, the file
http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/simplestats.txt
...may be of some help.

The Muon1 website displays the total of all results I receive, whether they
are via BOINC or direct. However, all the BOINC results have been removed
from the file above, as requested previously by another stats aggregation
site. The BOINC results all have the substring "(Boinc Wrapper)" in their
username, which doesn't appear in that file.

-Stephen

So, that is what he also states about the above topic. As far as what PDW experienced, I would have to see more details of the event to even begin to figure out what actually happened.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Coleslaw started a thread over at the Vault on 30th September requesting Muon1 be dropped from the Vault. I have just posted my response there.

PDW

PDW

Associate
No, that's just my other rigs, I decided to fill my boots and put every thing on it when I realised how generous the points were. I have ran it there but just 56 work units, I'm trying it on all sorts of projects, it feels like going from dial-up to broadband :)

Are you still running the new stuff at stock ?
Do you know how many watts it pulls from the wall when at full steam ?
Just trying to compare your PrimaBoinca results as they are fairly standard to see how many X99's I need to buy to keep ahead :D

Soldato
OP
Are you still running the new stuff at stock ?

It's slightly overclocked, but bare in mind although they are rated at 2.2 Ghz, all 56 cores turbo up to 2.5 Ghz.
When it comes to overclocking I can't change the multiplier, only the bclk which I have 103.1 (didn't like 104) so they all now run at 2.576Ghz

Do you know how many watts it pulls from the wall when at full steam ?

I had been meaning to test it, just done so now being as you asked. I'm currently full steam on NFS and it's pulling just 264W from the wall :cool:, which I'm chuffed to bits with! I think the 1250W PSU I bought was a bit of an overkill :D though it has 6 GPU slots, I currently just have an old crappy PCIe card in there just for the display.

Just trying to compare your PrimaBoinca results as they are fairly standard to see how many X99's I need to buy to keep ahead :D

Hmm lots, I'm already thinking about getting another one :p

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
264W is very good for all those cores for long term crunching, guess that need's to be offset by the higher purchase cost in the first place.

It doesn't sound like it is putting out much heat though, I'm thinking I might need half a dozen to keep the place warm in winter :p

Also looks like the NFS gravy train is coming to an end :(
Still have fast ones completing in 10 minutes in the cache but new ones coming through are back to the more normal hour (on a non-cached machine).

Associate
It's slightly overclocked, but bare in mind although they are rated at 2.2 Ghz, all 56 cores turbo up to 2.5 Ghz.
When it comes to overclocking I can't change the multiplier, only the bclk which I have 103.1 (didn't like 104) so they all now run at 2.576Ghz

I had been meaning to test it, just done so now being as you asked. I'm currently full steam on NFS and it's pulling just 264W from the wall :cool:,

Hey i got a monster catching me up on NFS !! gap closing each day
http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/top_hosts.php

Ah good to see tho lol, any pics of said monster?

Soldato
OP
Also looks like the NFS gravy train is coming to an end :(
Still have fast ones completing in 10 minutes in the cache but new ones coming through are back to the more normal hour (on a non-cached machine).

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hey i got a monster catching me up on NFS !! gap closing each day
http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/top_hosts.php

Ah good to see tho lol, any pics of said monster?

It's a mess at the moment, I temporarily set it up to test it and haven't touched it since :) I do need a 24 pin PSU ext first before I can box it up.

Associate
Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

It's a mess at the moment, I temporarily set it up to test it and haven't touched it since :) I do need a 24 pin PSU ext first before I can box it up.

lol i know the feeling, mine is stuck on the wall still , had loads of plans to make it look good but i dont dare even turn it off unless its urgent, o well as long as they crunch :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
lol i know the feeling, mine is stuck on the wall still , had loads of plans to make it look good but i dont dare even turn it off unless its urgent, o well as long as they crunch :)
Hey Andy, have you seen Thermaltake's Core P5 ATX Case ?
Not sure if they have ripped off your design or just want to make it tidy :p

Guess the optional rad+fans hanging out the window will be released at a later date :D

Associate
Hey Andy, have you seen Thermaltake's Core P5 ATX Case ?
Not sure if they have ripped off your design or just want to make it tidy :p

Guess the optional rad+fans hanging out the window will be released at a later date :D

Hey dont knock the idea of them hanging out the window, north facing and a chilly wind and i get 10oC lower temps then if it was inside the room even more in winter :)

wow it looks good http://www.thermaltake.com/content.aspx?id=6256

PDW

PDW

Associate
Agree, it does look good, might be a bit pricey though :eek:
I see OcUK have removed the other Thermaltake case they had from the site.

I'm also surprised OcUK are taking so long to add their own Window Wedge (©PDW 2015) AIO cooler to their product list :D

Back
Top Bottom