Item arrived damaged in Denmark

Soldato
NO way that damage has been done inside that tube/wrapping.

Also strange how he's not show a photo with the blue writing on the plug that yours had when you sent it. It's almost like he's made sure the top of the plug is always face down in his photos.

This just stinks of a scam.

Try breaking a plug that badly - it's almost impossible to do that much damage to a plug

Soldato
There are definite marks on the body of that damaged power supply that are not in your photos.

If you zoom right in you can see what appear to be tool marks / scuffs which I am having a hard time believing were done to it whilst in that tube.

Likewise a plug won't get smashed like that in transit, not unless age has turned the plastic to cheese.

Any forces that were strong enough to cause that damage would have most likely damaged the main unit as well.

I believe it is likely the same unit you sent, but I think the damage has been done accidentally by the buyer and he is trying to pull a fast one. Perhaps he dropped it down some stairs or something?

Last edited:
Associate
Is it just me or is that a 13amp plug (it says "Fused 13amp" on the bottom, with a 3 Amp fuse in it?

Anyway; there is a scratch / mark on the unit just above the power outlet lead which seems to mirror the one on the pictures that you have posted.

Although the power lead looks to have some brown discolouration around it; where the pictures you have posted do not.

So I am unsure.

Soldato
OP
Well guys, as I can't start accusing him of scamming, (he might be, might not be, but personally I don't think so and he owns a very nice and expensive studio so my feeling is that he isn't trying it on), then I've done all I can for the time being. I've rung myparceldelivery and they gave me a claims email address. I've sent a detailed email including all the photos I posted here of the unit, plus pics of it packaged on the day of collection, plus the photos he sent me of the damaged PSU, plus screenshots of my paypal invoice and receipt. I also messaged the buyer saying this:

Hi,

Thanks for the photos. I've just spoken to myparceldelivery and they've given me an email address to put a claim in. They want photos so I'll send them the ones you sent me. They said don't fix anything yet until I've heard back from them. However, they said by all means get a quote for a repair. I mentioned the loose spring as well saying that it wasn't loose when I sent it and it was in a thick cardboard tube with no play between the unit and the inside of the box. Obviously we need to be able to power it up first before we know if there's any damage to springs or any damage that would actually affect it working or not, but like I say, there was nothing falling around or loose when I sent it and it worked as it should when I tested it.

If you can bear with me while I wait to hear back from the claims, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

My biggest concern is, even if he gets the PSU working and can power up the unit, it depends whether the main reverb unit itself is working, i.e, if one of the springs has been damaged. It depends on whether myparceldelivery are prepared to accept responsibility and cough up for the whole value of the unit, (over £400), or not. If they don't, and if he says he's not happy with it, I'll then have to send his money back and I'll lose out. I have a bad feeling about this but will try and stay optimistic.

Associate
There's a few odd things about the smashed plug photo.

The flex grip is still intact. How did the cable get free?

That type of fibre flex grip has a flat surface and yet the cable has rib pressure marks caused by a different type of plastic grip.

Both the brown and blue wires are attached to a plug pin. But the live wire screw connector attached to the fuse holder has no wire connected. It looks to me like the plug is wired to earth and neutral.

Soldato
OP
Yeah Sinopa, I don't know about that.

Anyway, the latest so far is that I should hear back from the claims department tomorrow or in the next couple of days. Yesterday's email from them:

"Hi,

Thanks for providing these photos.

I have raised this with the courier for you and opened the damage claim with them.
We will aim to advise whether the claim can be progressed within 2 working days.

Kind Regards
"

Meanwhile, my buyer just sent me a copy of a quotation from a qualified studio tech he knows, for repairs to the power supply unit, springs, spare parts and labour which when translated from danish krone to £ comes to £406. He admitted it's on the steep side! Far as I'm concerned, if myparceldelivery accept complete responsibility and pay for that quote, then he gets a fully working unit, doesn't have to send it back, and everyone is happy. Just need to see what they're going to say and hope they don't just want to pay for the PSU. Guess I should call them tomorrow and give them that quote?

Caporegime

That type of fibre flex grip has a flat surface and yet the cable has rib pressure marks caused by a different type of plastic grip.

Both the brown and blue wires are attached to a plug pin. But the live wire screw connector attached to the fuse holder has no wire connected. It looks to me like the plug is wired to earth and neutral.

You're right. There is no way the pins would go through the clamp still attached and clearly the fuse pin is the broken one and that should be the live wire but that is attached to a perfectly normal pin.

Somebody has messed with that and is not as it would come out.

Associate
The plug being wired like that doesn't make sense. If the parcel was delivered in a state to do that to the plug you would take pics of the unboxing or even a video if you wanted some sort of come back.

Soldato
OP

Having had time to look closer you're right. I can't understand how those wires are still connected to the pins and yet the cable is free of the plug and plastic grip while the plastic grip is still screwed down. I should ask him. I wonder what he'd say to that. And yes, none of the photos show the other side of the plug with my blue writing in permanent ink. Regarding the 3 amp fuse, I've no idea. If mine had a 3 amp fuse in a 13 amp plug, well, it worked anyway in the time I had it and I never changed any fuses that I remember.

Soldato
Looking at the pictures and replies, that looks so much like a scam tbh. The plug wired incorrectly for one and the wires still being connected to the plug pins but the clamp still in place for second just smacks of someone not telling the truth and manipulating the plug.

As has been said, the brown live cable HAS to go into the connection that's on the fuse. The fuse then connects to the pin that has no connector on it, just the two "prongs". That's ben wired up as has been said, to earth and neutral, and would certainly never work wired up like that.

The other thing is that there's no way a plug is going to break if it's just dropped. It takes a large force to shatter a plug.

Very very fishy.

Associate
I missed the plug being wired incorrectly and caught the fact that it's says 13 amp on the bottom, but has a 3amp fuse... Such an idiot...

There's NO way it arrived like in that condition with him. Even if all he's done is screw the bits back onto the plug it's definitely be tampered with prior to those photos.

Soldato
Defo scam, plug is not wired correctly

The brown wire has to go to the terminal on the fuse

He has earth and neutral used on pic 2

Soldato
OP
So how do I proceed from here, chaps? If the courier service is happy to pay for everything, then fine. If not, do I mention to the courier service that it looks like it's been tampered with and let them accuse or question him about it on my behalf?

Associate
So how do I proceed from here, chaps? If the courier service is happy to pay for everything, then fine. If not, do I mention to the courier service that it looks like it's been tampered with and let them accuse or question him about it on my behalf?

Who is contacting the delivery company?
You?

Caporegime
i wouldnt tell them your concerns, it will just result in them refusing to pay out to you and then you will be out of pocket.

File your claim and see if they knock it back. If successful, up to you whether you want to push it further with your buyer.

Back
Top Bottom