Item arrived damaged in Denmark

Soldato
Most likely forgot that the plug would be UK standard and tried to re-wire it to fit an EU style connector. Made a complete mess of it and then took a hammer to the PSU so he could claim it was damaged in transit.

Should never ever have posted to Denmark in the first place though.

Soldato
OP
Right, I've made a couple of adjustments and just this moment sent it. Feeling a bit nervous now. :p

Hi Xxxx,

Apologies, I only just noticed your message! I'll chase them up again.

Some things that have been on my mind however that I'm confused about and wanted to ask you. I hope you don't mind. I've shown your photos to some colleagues, and we're trying to figure out some odd things about the smashed plug.

The flex grip with the two small screws is still intact, so how did the cable get free?

That type of fibre flex grip has a flat surface and yet the cable has rib pressure marks caused by a different type of plastic grip.

Also, both the brown and blue wires are attached to a plug pin. Yet the live wire screw connector attached to the fuse holder has no wire connected. The plug is wired wrongly to earth and neutral and so obviously the unit wouldn't power up if the plug was plugged in. But it was working when plugged in before it was sent meaning the brown wire would have been connected to the fuse holder pin. Doesn't make sense.

Is there blue writing on the other side of the plug?

Even with some hard knocks to the box during transit, it takes a considerably large force, I dunno, like a hammer I guess, to shatter a plug like that.

Any ideas on those points?

Cheers,
"

Soldato
Feeling a bit nervous now

The questions about the plug need to be asked. If he's genuine and not scamming you he should have no issue with your questions.

Were you sent pictures of the packaging? If that plug was destroyed during the shipping the packing would have been crushed / ripped open. Why would he sign for and accept the parcel?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure about the suggestions of posting on that gear forum, at least, not until I've heard back from him. Also, I've checked his profile there and he last posted there quite a long time ago. I've seen his website and he runs a very nice studio and seems to be a very busy person recording various artists in denmark. How much impact posting on the forum would make I don't know and perhaps might make things messier.

The questions about the plug need to be asked. If he's genuine and not scamming you he should have no issue with your questions.

Were you sent pictures of the packaging? If that plug was destroyed during the shipping the packing would have been crushed / ripped open. Why would he sign for and accept the parcel?

It's a good point and no I wasn't sent any pics other than those four pics of the plug.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure about the suggestions of posting on that gear forum, at least, not until I've heard back from him.

It's a good point and no I wasn't sent any pics other than those four pics of the plug.

To be honest you're being a bit of a wet blanket considering you sold the item and you're tip toeing around the guy because you're scared of him going straight to paypal.

Meanwhile the rest of us are 100% convinced of scam.

If you ask him those questions and back him to a wall, he can go straight to paypal. If you post this on the thread in question I doubt he'd be so fast to do that.

Caporegime
I'm not sure about the suggestions of posting on that gear forum, at least, not until I've heard back from him.

Then instead of posting it publicly, ask the opinions of the mods of that forum in private, you conducted the sale there so they will be able to advise.

Soldato
Zooming in on the last (4th) picture on the dropbox link, the cable clamp doesn't have any grooves. If that's true then that wire didn't come out of that plug.

If there was enough force on the pins to rip the lower half of the plug apart you would expect some damage or markings on the lid where the top part of the pins/screws are inserted.

I'll be damned if that damage was done in that packaging, looked like it could survive a nuke! Suspect he was a legit buyer but did something silly with the power pack and is now trying it on.

Asking for picks of the packaging at this stage is probably useless as he could just take a hammer to that as well and send pics. I say you have nothing to lose and confront him niceley about the discrepancies then if get no further use the postage refund to have it shipped back.

Caporegime
Basically you have nothing to lose by not challenging this, the worst that can happen is PayPal rule against you, which is in effect the same as refunding him, so do a little legwork and try to get to the bottom of it.

But why? Something is obviously fishy, so why take a purposefully botched item back? :confused:

Because the unit might be fine and he's just mucked up the powerpack and thought "Hmm i wonder if i can get this for nowt!". Im just hoping he doesnt have one of these units already thats broken and he will ship it back as damaged swapping out for the perfectly good one you sent him :(

Soldato
Because the unit might be fine and he's just mucked up the powerpack and thought "Hmm i wonder if i can get this for nowt!". Im just hoping he doesnt have one of these units already thats broken and he will ship it back as damaged swapping out for the perfectly good one you sent him :(

To hell with that. He tampered with it so he has no right to demand any kind of return. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom