• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
I just eddied my BIOS to nativity Run my overclock + offset, now I'm finally able to use crimson and overclock lol.

Good aint it, i did it a few days ago, now that dual bios is fair standard it might be the way to go as it seems to just cut out all the third party problems.

If i had known editing the bios was so easy i would have done it years ago.

Soldato
How difficult is that? Even just applying a constant voltage offset would work for me

Not THAT hard as such. There's a couple of big active threads on overclock.net, one about hawaii BIOS modding, and one about using 390x BIOS' on 290x cards. The OPs on those 2 threads give you all the infomation you need, though it takes a bit of time to get your head around it.

I also used the BIOS from the 290x - 390x thread. Its using 390x memory contorller timings, and custom memory timings, gained me about 500 points of firestrike GPU score clock for clock, so that made it all worthwhile IMO.

I DID have to edit the BIOS to put my stock voltages for each DPM (energy saving) state though, which was a little extra work.

All in all, good fun, glad I did it.

Soldato
I might try that 390x bios, i just edited my own, im using 2 different brand cards, i didnt know if ya need to use the right model for each card or if ya can just bang any on.

Soldato
Yeah, I would say its worth a try.

I get a bit lower clocks, but higher scores none the less.

The only problem I had was using the BIOS as it was provided was very unstable, I had to edit the voltages and clocks for each DPM state to what my stock BIOS was giving it. This is a bit more work than it sounds for a couple of reasons, but if you go back a few pages on the thread, you will probably see the posts where I was being helped.

I guess we should leave the thread to get back on topic now lol.

Soldato
Ah well i didnt wanna have any set clocks so after having a mess with them i just stuck them back to default and just use AMD overdrive for them instead, like for GTA i set it to 120% then for something likw wow ill set it to 50% and so on, cause i find in some games it doesnt matter how much i overclock it i cant quite reach the speed to say upgrade to the next graphics settings, so then i would just drop the clocks as far as they will go while still holding 60 fps. Saves a bit on the electric bill :)

Soldato
DDU is a more thorough tool, it removes some registry entries and folders that the AMD tool leaves behind. For example, saved game profiles.

As I'm part of the global customer care team at AMD, i recommend the user of either tool, depending on the severity of the issue.

Matt, any ETA for the Freesync drivers on Linux? I want to get rid windows for ever, and is the only thing that stops me.

Soldato
OK I have this week decided to go to Freesync , got my Crimson drivers installed....but before I hookup my Freesync Monitor is there anything else I have to do please ?

thanx :)

Nope just plug and play, load up AMD driver software and under display see Freesync enabled done :D

Then either setup game profiles and use FRTC to limit frame rate below max refresh rate, or use Vsync in game.

Back
Top Bottom