Terry Pratchett dies :(

Soldato
I read Mort again last night and it still made me laugh as much as it did the first time around.

I sincerely hope Rhianna keeps the Disc alive outide of our collective imaginations.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
B_-SMm0WUAAQ3Ro.jpg:large

Associate
Terry Pratchett was definitely the writer who most shaped my own way of thinking and outlook on life, while managing to be genuinely laugh out loud funny at the same time. An unbelievable literary genius claimed all too soon by an awful disease.

RIP Mr. Pratchett. I'll likely wear a sprig of lilac every March 12th as a little mark of respect.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The luggage is one of the best characters ever created, then Death. We are talking a 10 and a 9.999999999999999999999999999999999999999. One in a million chance he would create two therefore it was bound to happen.

A pure genius.

Soldato
Oh, happy memories. I think I need to start reading them all over again. So do I start at the beginning or with my old favourites!

IMG_20150313_193809_zps2lrk1i0x.jpg

One thing is for sure Terry, I'll think of you often :)

Man of Honour
Extremely sad about this. One of my all time favourite authors and brought me many hours of joy. The physical books and the audiobooks, radio adaptions, animated, and live action variations.

I'm glad that over the years I've managed to get a complete 1st edition set and a complete set of the Unseen University bound books. Even got a number of the author proof copies. Mostly signed too. They tend to live in the bookcase, my paperbacks get read and re-read

Associate
RIP Sir Terry Pratchet

So it's been a couple of weeks now but on 12th March 2015, Sir Terry Pratchett passed away from Alzheimer's Disease after suffering with the disease since 2007.

I know and many have enjoyed his Discworld novels, keeping in the theme his assistant posted on Twitter:

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25401679

RIP.

Soldato
Bit of a thread resurrection but it seems the most appropriate place to put this....

Both my partner and I attended on Thursday 14th April at The Barbican, London. If you are not aware (where were you?) then there was a draw for tickets (approx 1000 of them) by the publishers last month. It lasted a month too and several people that missed out managed to get tickets from the waiting list. It was a packed house.

The introduction was given by Lord Vetinari informing us that both still and moving picture recordings were strictly forbidden. Charlie Russell (The guy that filmed all the documentaries that Terry has been in) was floating around with a camera on his shoulder. I very much doubt those that couldn't attend will get to see it all as I understand it will appear in another documentary at some point.

First up, was a choir (I missed where they were from) with a rendition of Thomas Tallis' Spem In Alium. This caused many an eye to water and set the tone for the night.

Except it didn't.

I was expecting stories from those that knew and worked with him, his life both as an author and as someone that gave back more than most will ever know. I was ready for tears. I wasn't ready for all the laughter. There were many in jokes directed at certain people which I can't repeat (timing and context relevant).

Rob Wilkins (Terry's manager/PA etc..), introduced guests and recounted stories from working with him for all those years from how they first met to Terry's sad passing.

His Daughter, Rhianna spoke about her father first and his influence on her life. I believe all fathers should be like this.

Steeleye Span performed 3 songs over the evening, 2 coming from Wintersmith.
Sir Tony Robinson (Time Team and Baldric from Blackadder) gave a speech. Tony was a Terry's stunt double for the BBC Dimbleby Lecture in 2010 on Shaking Hands With Death as Terry was unable to give the speech.

Neil Gaiman read his foreword from Terry's A Slip Of The Keyboard. A hard listen but it was unmistakably Terry.

Bernard Pearson and Dr Pat Harkin recounted a few stories of the phone calls they would receive from Terry (as did every guest) in their particular fields of expertise. (A lot of you probably do not know those names. Bernard is a potter by trade, he owns the only physical Discworld store in the world and had a lot to do with Clarecraft. Dr Pat is a lecturer in Pathology at Leeds and a superfan (his house is covered in Terrys stuff))

Although Terry had many books that he started writing, some nearly complete, they will not be finished and will never see the light of day. This is what he and his family want which is perfectly understandable. However, do not despair, The Discworld Estate is in very good hands with many projects both planned and in production.

The Sir Terry Pratchett Scholarship - 1 student every 2 years will receive this. And it will keep happening. FOREVER. Trinity College, Dublin and University of South Australia will be arranging this courtesy of David Lloyd

The Wee Free Men - Rhianna will be writing the screenplay. Various rumours have been around for a few years in what format it will be (animation, live, CGI etc...) but I can confirm that nothing has been confirmed

MORT - Yes! This will be written by Terry Rossio so a very high standard is set.

The Discworld Encyclopedia - Whether it will span 26 volumes is unknown at the moment and its only in the planning stages. It will certainly appear on my bookshelf.

Illustrated Small Gods - Out this summer, looking forward to that.

And not forgetting.....

Good Omens - Neil announced both this night and in the past that Good Omens and anything connected to it would only ever be worked on by the both of them. After Terry's passing, Good Omens as a film would never happen. Rob asked him if he would reconsider. Neil refused once more in front of everyone. A shame but understandable.

Before his passing, Terry wrote letters to various people for after he died. One of these was to Neil telling him to write the screenplay. In Neil's words "You *******!"

So Good Omens is happening!! Neil did ask Rob if he can mention a 6 part mini series (he was hastily silenced). Read into that what you will ;)

Also, The Watch. They're coming to a TV series near you soon.

At the end, we were interrupted by Eric Idle on screen giving a few words. He then picked up a ukulele and started singing (and was assisted by the aforementioned choir and the audience) Always Look on The Bright Side of Life...

What I thought might be a sombre night, was actually an incredible night of laughs. Thank you for all the words Terry.

PS: Every seat had a bag on it when we arrived. Here's look at what was inside

2lseeet.jpg

Genuine Ankh Water, a pack of tissues, some postcards, some dried frog pills, a pin badge and a book containing many words.

A lovely touch.

Mind how you go....

Caporegime
well that one would be the first one so you could start there, but it isn't essential

there are some books that follow on from others so perhaps best not to start with them - for example the light fantastic comes directly after the colour of magic and so probs better to read the first one first...

Back
Top Bottom