Terry Pratchett dies :(

Soldato
As an aside.

I know he had his problems.

But he was only 10 years older than me. :eek:

Can one really "age" that badly so quickly? ( I am not talking about illness as such, but he looked really old!)

I may be mid fifties but I can still upend and manhandle a 205L drum of antifreeze (240Kg!) without really worrying about it!

The idea that somebody might be able to go down hill so quickly is really quite scary.

:(

FTM

FTM

Soldato
enjoyed a lot of the discworld books. Couldn't get on with some of them though. Might have to read some of the ones I remember liking, because its been so long I can remember much about them.

nothing wrong with that..I still cannot get on with any of the witches books, they just don't do it for me

whereas I am really really gutted I will never get to read a new book featuring the city watch, they were just great entertaining reads.

just sat here reflecting there will be no more, no more detritus, no more nobby and colon...gutted

Soldato
Unfortunately yes. He was diagnosed in his late 50's and the difference between then and December (last saw him) is very noticeable. It was uncomfortable to listen to him read or talk as it was very broken. My heart goes out to anyone living with or caring for some with this condition.

Associate
Well that's just ruined my year :(

RIP and thanks for all the fantastic times I spent reading all of your books.

The Discworld books really had everything in them, and you could always tell when someone was reading them on the bus/train as you could see people trying not to laugh out loud and make a fool of themselves :)

My favourite was Reaper Man.

Soldato
He sounded like one of those guys you really wanted to go out drinking with and talking general rubbish about gaming, books, and general nerdy stuff men want to talk about (well at least I do).

Associate
I have wanted to read the series for a few years now. RIP Terry. I will be buying The Colour of Magic tomorrow and reading the series in publication order.

Commissario
Never read his books but back in 1995 I was playing this

and still to this day it remains one of my first and most fondly remembered adventure puzzle games. RIP.:(
Oh god, I remember that, the belt buckle puzzle...(or was that the second game?)

I have wanted to read the series for a few years now. RIP Terry. I will be buying The Colour of Magic tomorrow and reading the series in publication order.

You're in for a treat, COM and to a lesser degree The Light Fantastic are not as good as his later books (his style changes over time), but by the time you reach Wyrd Sisters or Guards Guards you'll probably be hooked.

The disc has a huge cast of characters and although you can usually read the books without knowing the previous ones, if you have read the older ones you'll spot characters popping in for cameos etc on a regular basis.

Caporegime
I attended the launch of The Last Continent in Western Australia many years ago. He was just as witty, hilarious, and charming in person as I expected him to be!

PHOTO_20150313_163610.jpg

Sleep well, Sir Terry. You made my world a more magical place.

:(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
RIP, I only read a couple of his books which I loved so should read more. I remember the PS1 game Discworld, that blew me away with all the dialogue, was funny too. You will be missed.

Soldato
RIP Terry.
His Discworld books have been a massive part of my life since the late 80s.
I would lose myself in them and read them over and over again when i was younger.

And now there will be no more stories.

Associate
Started reading the Discworld novels just after Wyrd Sisters came out and have read every one since. I can't put a measure on the joy I've had from reading them, RIP Sir Terry, a truly brilliant man.

Back
Top Bottom