• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Will we see a price crash on the Titan X now that it's been surpassed by the 1080 ?

Part of me would be tempted if I could pick up two for say £450 a pop(new) but it'll still be old sh*te tech :D. I mean 28nm, DX11 with DX12 ready support, come on..........

780ti to 9 series wasn't so hard on the 780ti at the time I don't think but think this change will be on the current (last) gen.

Associate
Calm down people, you have been caught in Nvidia's net and all they have is a few non detailed graphs and lots of buzz words. Don't get me wrong the 10 cards sound awesome. However, I think you all ought to hold off on the pre-orders until you see the cards properly benchmarked with games.

You know how they throw all this wonderful stuff out to ensnare you and it seems that only the "Founder" edition is available first....you will all go out and get one then regret it when they pull another fast one in one way or another.

All I am really saying is take your time, wait for the proper benches (DX11 AND DX12) and also wait for AMDs response with Polaris. Polaris 10 may not be aimed at high end but it may give an indication of what is to be expected in Vega.

Don't rush this.....it's still a lot of your hard earned money and you all want to spend it wisely.

Still it was a great shout out from Nvidia and If I am totally honest I kept saying "Holy ****" all the way through the 1080/1070 bits. :D

But that is what this event was designed to do....no mention of anything DX12 etc....

Okay people, be careful out there....exciting times ahead ;)

Soldato
We might now start getting TrueAudio in games? Well not TrueAudio thats AMDs name but the same tech its based off. Nvidia just announced
VRWorks Audio

Next NVIDIA Works project: VRWorks Audio, the worlds first physically based acoustic engine. This almost sounds like AMD TrueAudio, which is something we don’t hear much about anymore. NVIDIA said that this is a major upgrade for VRWorks to create more physically-accurate simulations.
NVIDIA then noted that having a common architecture platform has improved production values. All the current consoles use semi-custom AMD GCN GPU solutions, so this is interesting.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-...faster-gtx-980-sli_181204#rfSPci7yVYzHBOp0.99

Soldato
I think a lot you guys should wait on real world performance before jumping the gun. Nvidia are very clever in how they market there hardware.
While we should always wait for actual reviews, there's very little reason to doubt any of the claims overall.

People who didn't think they could do a 1070 that matched/bested a 980Ti, or a 1080 that beat it by 20%+ had obviously just forgotten what a die shrink brings to the table.

But yes, obviously dont put down money til you know exactly what you're getting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What i want to know is will Nvidia now support VESA standard Adaptive Sync with Pascal?

They have no excuse not to now.

Assuming that the DP 1.3/1.4 is all that is needed hardware wise... then yup, no reason for them not to other than greed and locking people into their ecosystem.

2 possible ways they could stop it from happening

1. "pressure" monitor manufacturers to disable the feature on the monitor firmware side (I'd be very surprised if they did this given that intel will be supporting it in the future)

2. disable it in their own drivers, I assume some kid could hack it though....

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming that the DP 1.3/1.4 is all that is needed hardware wise...

1. "pressure" monitor manufacturers to disable the feature on the monitor firmware side (I'd be very surprised if they did this given that intel will be supporting it in the future)

It wont just be simply disabled. Nvidia would need to write a driver to support it.. Or some clever kid like you say.

Associate
I game at 2K on a 144hz monitor and I want to get as close to a consistent 90 frames plus as I possible can. On my current card, a 980ti, with a lot of modern games I can't achieve this so the 1080 is unlikely to be a card i'll ignore IF I can get a reasonable good return for my current 980ti that is.

What monitor offers 144hz at that res!?

Or is it that Nvidia scaling thingymajig?

Soldato
So who are these new cards aimed at?

If you want 1080p/1440p performance then a 980Ti comfortably nets you 60fps+ at either resolution. If Nvidia started dropping 980Ti prices for the slightly more powerful 1080, wouldn't common sense be to get the Ti instead? Nvidia aren't stupid, they lower the prices and the 1080 loses out in sales.

A 980Ti starts to show its limitations when gaming at 4K/60fps with all the bells and whistles in the more demanding titles. A Titan X has those same limitations, so that instantly makes a GTX 1070 nothing more than a more power efficient card to compete at 1080p/1440p. Not exactly 'next gen'.

I think anyone who's using a 970 or below at the moment would probably find the 1070 a good upgrade path if they want to game flawlessly at 1440p/60fps for the next couple years.

Anyone on a 980 or above should wait for the 1080Ti if they want to go 4K, the Ti version should be the real killer at 4K res and it also allows the 4K monitor market to catch up with the newer ports.

we should see a big increase in minimum frame rates. The biggest problem with reviewers in general is they focus on average fps, I expect the reviewers notes for these new cards will encourage focus on minimum fps and frametimes.

Soldato
Good cards from NV. They brought the performance what was needed.
Did they mention any architectural changes, or is this a 16nm high clocked maxwell?

I would like to see if clocked the same how much faster the 1080 is but it is insane clocks that is for sure I just wonder what it has left in the tank a how much more it can over clock from out of the box?.

Man of Honour
I would like to see if clocked the same how much faster the 1080 is but it is insane clocks that is for sure I just wonder what it has left in the tank a how much more it can over clock from out of the box?.

I'm betting without going to silly measures like LN2 people will struggle to top around 2.2-2.24GHz based on what other stuff made on 16nm FF has managed though as per my other post that doesn't directly equate to what can be done with GPUs.

Soldato
5710005_zpssd3iokd1.jpg~original

Haha

Caporegime
Assuming that the DP 1.3/1.4 is all that is needed hardware wise...

VESA standards, Free-Sync is simply AMD's software, the hardware is a universal standard, anyone can make their own software to run on Free-Sync screens. the hardware is not licensed to AMD so they have no rights to block other vendors from using the hardware.

The chances of Screen vendors blocking others is next to nothing, as you point out there are potentially other customers for their screens.

Back
Top Bottom