• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
Which AMD AIB manufacturer offers the best warranty? (Old warranty thread doesn't seem to be kept up to date).

I know Gigabyte, Asus and MSI offer three year warranties. Are any of those apart from Gigabyte's transferable? And do they mind overclocking?

Associate
is that it for the announced polaris cards then? Only the 4? I honestly think there will be a 5th card, based purely on the fact that the star system Polaris itself is comprised of 5 stars.

At the PCGamer event Lisa said something along the lines of 'we can now reveal our full Polaris range' when she showed a glimpse of the 460 and 470, implying those along with the 480 were the only Polaris cards coming.

Associate
Yup, as far as we know the full desktop Polaris lineup is:

Maybe you could count the 480 superclocked versions as a separate card. If they actually turn out to exist.

But that's all until Vega. And Vega will at least be 2 chips.

Associate
Guys I'm an absolute noob. Would it even be worth upgrading to a Vega 490 if I'll only be gaming at 1080p for a few years. From what I've seen from the hype train the 480 seems pretty savage for 1080p.

Associate
Guys I'm an absolute noob. Would it even be worth upgrading to a Vega 490 if I'll only be gaming at 1080p for a few years. From what I've seen from the hype train the 480 seems pretty savage for 1080p.

Very likely yes, if you want to run at max settings on games, or you have an 120/144 Hz monitor. Games are only getting more demanding, and if you plan to not upgrade for a few years the new Xbox Scorpio comes out next year which will be nearly as powerful as the little Vega card. So that'll push game graphics even further.

Also if you're interested in VR, Vega will put you in the position to run any of the headsets with no issues.

One thing I'm confused about - why don't Polaris cards use HBM?

It's too expensive for this price range and/or the Polaris cards aren't powerful enough to use the memory bandwidth it offers over GDDR5.

Last edited:
Associate

480 performance would be plenty enough for 1080p, and even the majority of games at 1440p, if you are aiming at 60fps.

One thing I'm confused about - why don't Polaris cards use HBM?

mainly because of volume production and cost , HBM2 isn't there yet.
beside the GPU is mid range performance isn't enough to need a bus of the size of HBM2's, so it would be pointless.
maybe when we have cards that can push 4k@60.

Associate
Very likely yes, if you want to run at max settings on games, or you have an 120/144 Hz monitor. Games are only getting more demanding, and if you plan to not upgrade for a few years the new Xbox Scorpio comes out next year which will be nearly as powerful as the little Vega card. So that'll push game graphics even further.

Also if you're interested in VR, Vega will put you in the position to run any of the headsets with no issues.

It's too expensive for this price range and/or the Polaris cards aren't powerful enough to use the memory bandwidth it offers over GDDR5.
If that's the case, I'm thinking 4gb 470 for a few months and then small Vega. Providing the small vega is under 1080 price. I've had an r7 260 for months now I gotta upgrade to something for a bit.

Associate
If that's the case, I'm thinking 4gb 470 for a few months and then small Vega. Providing the small vega is under 1080 price. I've had an r7 260 for months now I gotta upgrade to something for a bit.

Seems like a sensible plan to me. I'd say it's very likely small Vega will be less than the 1080. The 1080 is a stupid price, and Nvidia are just trying it on.

Large Vega may be current 1080 price, but even that I'd expect to be £50 less or so.

What is this 'small Vega' I read about on here? Is that the one that may or may not release on October? When's the full fat version out then?

Vega has two chips, a bigger one and a smaller one, just like Polaris 10 and 11.

Small Vega is expected to be slighty faster than the 1080 and big Vega is expected to match/beat the Pascal Titan and 1080 Ti.

We have no idea when they're launching though. It could as early as October, or as late as March next year.

Soldato
Seems like a sensible plan to me. I'd say it's very likely small Vega will be less than the 1080. The 1080 is a stupid price, and Nvidia are just trying it on.

Large Vega may be current 1080 price, but even that I'd expect to be £50 less or so.

Vega has two chips, a bigger one and a smaller one, just like Polaris 10 and 11.

Small Vega is expected to be slighty faster than the 1080 and big Vega is expected to match/beat the Pascal Titan and 1080 Ti.

We have no idea when they're launching though. It could as early as October, or as late as March next year.

Ah right I see, thanks

Well, if 'small Vega' can beat the 1080 for a lesser price I might be swayed. I can also live with Large Vega being the price of a current 1080 but that'll be me DONE with graphics cards for at least 2 years. I just want something that can run 3440x1440 at 60 FPS on max settings.

Soldato

There are two answers to that. The first answer comes from millions of happy gamers and is as follows: "480 will be plenty for 1080 and will be for years."

The second answer is the OCUK one and reads: "OMG! Less than 500FPS? You'll definitely need more. Maybe get two? And a 4K monitor! And then a 1080 Titan when it's released! And the moon. On a stick!"

:D

Back
Top Bottom