• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
Ah right I see, thanks

Well, if 'small Vega' can beat the 1080 for a lesser price I might be swayed. I can also live with Large Vega being the price of a current 1080 but that'll be me DONE with graphics cards for at least 2 years. I just want something that can run 3440x1440 at 60 FPS on max settings.

Obviously this is without seeing the real figures, but I'd be cautiously optimistic small Vega will be a great card for 3440x1440.

An overclocked 1080 will run that res very well, so something mildly faster should be excellent for at least a couple of years.

I'm actually thinking along similar lines myself. I'm on a GTX 780 right now, and I'm thinking of getting an RX480 and then whatever turns out the best in the ~£400 range once all the Vega and large Pascal cards are out.

Soldato
I'm actually thinking along similar lines myself. I'm on a GTX 780 right now, and I'm thinking of getting an RX480 and then whatever turns out the best in the ~£400 range once all the Vega and large Pascal cards are out.
This is pretty much my plan as well. The 480 should be a decent card as a holdover until the big guns arrive, be that later in the year or early next year.

Soldato
This is pretty much my plan as well. The 480 should be a decent card as a holdover until the big guns arrive, be that later in the year or early next year.

Problem with this strategy though(for some of us atleast) is if your already locked into the eco system of either freesync or g-sync. Currently on a g-sync panel myself powered by a r9 290 and while i thought about switching to an equivalent freesync i would hate to have to switch back again after that.

Normally i dont hold variable refresh rate in the same high regard as many others do in here but i do have a few problematic titles that has benefited from it in the past(fallout 4 would be an example).

Associate
Problem with this strategy though(for some of us atleast) is if your already locked into the eco system of either freesync or g-sync. Currently on a g-sync panel myself powered by a r9 290 and while i thought about switching to an equivalent freesync i would hate to have to switch back again after that.

Normally i dont hold variable refresh rate in the same high regard as many others do in here but i do have a few problematic titles that has benefited from it in the past(fallout 4 would be an example).

Yeah this is true. I've yet to jump on the g-sync or freesync bandwagon partly because of this. And partly because I thought I should wait for HDR monitors to come before changing, I'm currently on two 1920x1080 24" IPS monitors so they're ok for now.

In your position I'd say your plan should be to hope the RX 480 and 470 are good enough and cheap enough to make Nvidia drop the 1070 down by £50-100 and then buy a 1070.

Soldato
Yeah this is true. I've yet to jump on the g-sync or freesync bandwagon partly because of this. And partly because I thought I should wait for HDR monitors to come before changing, I'm currently on two 1920x1080 24" IPS monitors so they're ok for now.

In your position I'd say your plan should be to hope the RX 480 and 470 are good enough and cheap enough to make Nvidia drop the 1070 down by £50-100 and then buy a 1070.

Well i could get Dual RX480s and a freesync monitor and come out cheaper(compared to a 1080 or SLI 1070) as my dell should sell for around 300+ on the 2nd hand market.

I think im in the same situation as many others. I dont like nvidia as a business, i actually despises them and they are so darn expensive but im so picky about performance(as in i need the fastest) that they seem like the only option right now, especially if i dont want to deal with mGPU setups. I would love to support AMD as their approach to gaming in general, atleast for the time being, is much more healthy imho but while the RX480 looks like being a solid card and a very good deal its not the fastest single card. Personally im so torn, i mean a single 1080 cannot max out witcher 3 at 1440p at stay above 55-60 anyway, but will 2 480s be able to?. Here is to hoping that it will overclock its nuts off and be competitive with the stock 1070 :p.. a guy is allowed to dream is he not? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i could get Dual RX480s and a freesync monitor and come out cheaper(compared to a 1080 or SLI 1070) as my dell should sell for around 300+ on the 2nd hand market.

I think im in the same situation as many others. I dont like nvidia as a business, i actually despises them and they are so darn expensive but im so picky about performance(as in i need the fastest) that they seem like the only option right now, especially if i dont want to deal with mGPU setups. I would love to support AMD as their approach to gaming in general, atleast for the time being, is much more healthy imho but while the RX480 looks like being a solid card and a very good deal its not the fastest single card. Personally im so torn, i mean a single 1080 cannot max out witcher 3 at 1440p at stay above 55-60 anyway, but will 2 480s be able to?. Here is to hoping that it will overclock its nuts off and be competitive with the stock 1070 :p.. a guy is allowed to dream is he not? :p

Buy a 1070 if the prices drop, sit tight til the big Pascal / Vega reveals, decide then...

really no point you selling your G-Sync screen and 290 for a 480 and Freesync setup, you'd need 2 x 480 really and thats not advisable currently.

Better off waiting for the 1070 to drop a bit more, buy one of those, sell your 290 to offset some of the cost and wait out the bigboys.

Caporegime
I'm officially joining the hype train.

My 290x is on the bay, dont let me down AMD :D

My expectation is through the roof, so I know I'm going to be disappointed XD

Onboard graphics is depressing :(

There seem to be a lot of people (myself included) on 290x's/390x's/980's looking forward to this but i a getting concerned we are all going to be pretty dissapointed in terms of what this is going to offer over those cards.

Soldato
There seem to be a lot of people (myself included) on 290x's/390x's/980's looking forward to this but i a getting concerned we are all going to be pretty dissapointed in terms of what this is going to offer over those cards.

My fall back is that even if its not the best upgrade in the world at release, it will probably be part of AMDs lineup for ages like the 7950 (280) and 290 (390) was, and thus probably gain performance over time like those cards did through driver optimisations etc. So in a years time I'll probably look back and go, yeah, I'm glad I switched lol.

Through really I'm hoping it overclocks to the moon the the 7950s did.

Soldato

Same plan for me too! It's likely it will be AMD though since they know exactly what Nvidia has done in that range though surely.

Associate
I've sold my Nano whilst it still had much of its original value (I bought it for £360).

Planning on getting a 480 but will wait for the real benchmarks before going for it. If it turns out to be just hype, I'll probably end up getting a 1070.

Associate
TechPowerUp report an assembly line of 480s, and this GPUZ screenshot from Chiphell:
141c.jpg

Soldato
Buy a 1070 if the prices drop, sit tight til the big Pascal / Vega reveals, decide then...

really no point you selling your G-Sync screen and 290 for a 480 and Freesync setup, you'd need 2 x 480 really and thats not advisable currently.

Better off waiting for the 1070 to drop a bit more, buy one of those, sell your 290 to offset some of the cost and wait out the bigboys.

Well i didnt say before but the 290 is a loaner from a friend of mine so no selling that :). Problem for me with all the waiting is that gaming without variable refresh rate is fine as long as you can push high enough fps and that is were the 290 is showing its age cause so fare only overwatch of the games i play is able to be pushed north of 100(at medium). I know, first world problems.

Back
Top Bottom