Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If only the EU and the government had had the goodwill to listen to the people, this could have all been avoided.

Don't blame the voters, blame the EU and the government. It's their mess.

Yes, they totally ruined a great idea with their greed for money and power and their contempt for democracy and ordinary people.

It never should have come to this but they wrecked the common market/alliance ideals with ever closer union, Shengen, the Euro and free movement.

Soldato
Can't tell if sarcastic or not. In case not, greater life experience doesn't mean they know better.

It's scary if you honestly think that.

He's deadly serious. Like many old toads, he really thinks he knows better than someone younger than him. The irony of how juvenile that is appears to be completely lost on him. Hilarious.

Soldato
It is not remotely in the EUs interests to give Britain a favourable deal.

Perhaps not, but they may not have a choice. Several EU nations have already said they don't want to see a punitive deal because it may impact their trade. Ireland in particular, but also The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and Finland have said as much.

Given that the EU's markets (Poland is particularly vulnerable) are damaged by this too, they may want a quick deal.

Soldato
I work in the financial sector. I know very well that not all of those roles will be paying that level of salary. There will be a variety of levels of seniority and remuneration within those 2000 jobs.

Of course, as I noted in my initial text that they would be at different levels of seniority and therefore different levels of pay. That means plenty could be on above or below that amount, and I was basing it on an average of £70k base + 50% bonus. I personally would say that's relatively conservative.

Associate
Can't tell if sarcastic or not. In case not, greater life experience doesn't mean they know better.

Of course not but I don't think it's fair to write all their votes off as protest votes or because they're old and bitter and miss 'the good old timed'. No, I think they have genuinely seen the country take a nosedive since joining the EU and sensibly have voted out as that is what they know best. Likewise the younger voters only know of current times and so have voted a majority in because they know no better, well the older population DOES know better.

Soldato
Of course not but I don't think it's fair to write all their votes off as protest votes or because they're old and bitter and miss 'the good old timed'. No, I think they have genuinely seen the country take a nosedive since joining the EU and sensibly have voted out as that is what they know best. Likewise the younger voters only know of current times and so have voted a majority in because they know no better, well the older population DOES know better.

Exactly.

Soldato
I'm talking length of time, and there's more to EU exposure than Erasmus. What you've had is a nice studying experience. Hardly representative of living under the EU.

Pretty sure that's more experience then most brits have in regards to the EU no?

How is 2 years of Erasmus more exposure to the EU than say 30-40 years of living as a part of it?

Because being frank here, most people I know who have had 30-40 years of exposure barely seem to understand the mechanics of the EU, how it worked or even how many nations it may have covered. Now of course this could be me just meeting a shed load of people seemingly all being oblivious, but I doubt it.

I guess it goes back to the initial comment you made of how if my younger generation was exposed to that many years of the EU then we would want to leave, honestly I doubt it, some would but I think firm majority would want to remain.

I think being born when we are already part of it and now knowing anything else may skew our perception and in turn is something the older generation may dislike seeing it evolve from what it initially started as, but I for one was happy with the EU as it is mostly.

Soldato
So the OAP's shouldn't vote because they will not be around long enough to deal with the consequences? Yet you think they voted out because they feel so threatened by immigrants taking their jobs and making what little time they have left unbearable?

Be interesting to see how many of this demographic are retired...

Indeed. Or in many cases, ever worked at all.

Soldato
There's a local in my pub, mid to late 50's whose life experience is a bricky and whose exposure to Europe is a bi-annual trip to resorts in Spain. He gets all his opinions from the Star/Sun and spends most his spare time ranting about people taking his job (despite him always seeming to have work on)

Is this the life experience we are talking about?

I have had this argument many times in the past, age does not equal wisdom or experience. Getting out there and experiencing life does and I would suggest that younger generations (sub 40) generally have better life experience due to the broader travel options that were not always available to an older generation.

Shut up son, you know 'nuffin!

Engerland!

Permabanned
Perhaps not, but they may not have a choice. Several EU nations have already said they don't want to see a punitive deal because it may impact their trade. Ireland in particular, but also The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and Finland have said as much.

Given that the EU's markets (Poland is particularly vulnerable) are damaged by this too, they may want a quick deal.

The EU cannot also be seen weak with the UK as if they are it could have a domino effect across europe, the EU will bend over backwards to bring scotland into club just to say a big FU to England and Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom