Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
And someone has now directly compared this monumental event, to a game of football... Outstanding.

just trying to lighten the mood, but I can see that you are still in grief. You have to agree that as silly as this would be it is in no way different.

If the rule was in place before the vote that would have been fine, but don't change the rules of the game after you lose.

Democracy is a wonderful thing, everyone eligible to vote in this country can vote, and indeed a large proportion did.

If the argument for staying was compelling then more people would probably have voted that way, unfortunately it wasn't. Whilst the remain camp might think that all the leavers are thick and uneducated and their side are all in Mensa I very much doubt that is the case.

Soldato
It's an interesting study from Ashcroft, but what demographic has given you that 3.6% (easily half of that coming from downright lunatics and nasties, stirred up by tactics even Gove, Carswell and Bo found deplorable) iirc boost over the finish line? Now that's more telling of the immigration issue. Further, what's their number 2 issue, and how many said 'control' but thought 'immigration', as it has proved rather publicly divisive? But as I said earlier, it's bean counting at this stage and not that relevant to how the winners will be handling their many referendum promises. For the sake of the country -- good luck to them, they'll need it.

12,369 sample according to the website, and it was online so you'd hope Ashcroft tried to make it as representative as possible. My understanding (which may not be correct) is that it's a fairly respected polling firm.

My bigger point is that it's a convenient line for the more sour remain supporters (not including you or most people on here in that) to now wheel out, when in reality it was just one of many factors for a lot of people (it actually isn't really an issue for me). The biggest reason for most (I would say, and according to the Ashcroft survey) is democracy, self-governance and self-determination.

As for your question of whether it tipped the balance, I guess we'll never know. But you can certainly apply that point to both sides, i.e. how many remain votes were based on the completely fabricated economic doomsday scenarios presented by HM Ministry of Propaganda, etc.

Man of Honour
it is really a fairly exceptional circumstance this referendum not a regular GE. Still if the day of the General Election Win for the Tories they retracted a bunch of the manifesto and the Bank of England had to allocate £250Bil to shore up the economy, I would have similar thoughts about that.

I'm stunned that the Leave guys in here don't seem to care about the back peddling. Oh yea we didn't actually means 350m for the NHS and we didn't mean it'd reduce immigration. Never mind lollllllll

:confused:

What else didn't they mean and why don't you care that they misled you?

Man of Honour
Do any Remain voters actually think there are some positives to leaving the EU? Surely you can't think it's all negative?

Soldato
If we have a decision of this magnitude made (either way) on a narrowly divided country, we leave about half the country disenfranchised.

Both camps were appalling at putting together a reasoned debate and the leave camp retracted what can only be called campaign LIES moments after the result.

A second referendum with some actual measured debate and some understanding of the genuine implications is what the country deserve, I believe if this happens something more decisive would come of it. If that was to be leave so be it.

Thing is no one actually knows what will happen now that a leave vote has happened. Yes there is an element of uncertainty currently but whats to say that in 6-12 months, we could be in a better position economically than we were before brexit and vice versa.

Associate
We've had years to talk about the arguments on both sides. The referendum on Thursday was the culmination of that. The time for debating which way to go has already passed. It seems like suddenly people have become interested in politics and want to turn back the clock.

Genuine question: do people who think his referendum represents democracy also believe our current general election voting system equally represents democracy? I've heard a lot of 'all votes are equal' arguments. Surely this viewpoint is only consistent with thinking proportional representation is more democratic than first past the post where votes are clearly not equal

Caporegime
Do any Remain voters actually think there are some positives to leaving the EU? Surely you can't think it's all negative?

I don't, but i think the negatives to leaving far out weigh any positives.

This period of economic turmoil just simply will not be worth it.

Soldato
Shamelessly copied from Facebook, and worth a read:

A Prime Minister resigned. The pound plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the pound rallied past February levels. And the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4 per cent up on last Friday, its best performance in four months.

President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the back of the queue after all and that our special relationship was still strong.

The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place.

The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be "orderly" and stressed the UK would continue to be a close partner of the EU.

A big bank denied reports it would shift staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt.

Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bilateral talks with the UK immediately.

If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

Soldato
Edit: and for those that are having a go at young ones protesting. Of course they're going to, they're the ones that are going to live with this decision. Good chunk of retired people will not even see UK leaving EU and those who will it will impact only for a short time. Think I've said it before that anyone within 5 years or over current life expectancy age should not had been allowed to vote.

Maybe more of them should have tried votin' instead of whinin'

Another remain democracy hater, you're all much more dangerous than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom