Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

are people that stupid... we'd have a referendum every 6 months or so under those conditions

Soldato
The EU didn't exist in the 1980s.

I took that from another forum - it's not my neck of the woods, however I took their point as fact. Happy to concede if that's not the case:

When the Tories had done their worst to the north east in the 1980's, the north east of England qualified for a grant from the Eu which would normally be only available to third world countries.
Thatcher wanted the grant to be paid direct to Westminster, to be "distributed". The EU refused saying that the grant was for the north east and that is where it will go. Thatcher threw her handbag about but the EU stuck to their guns saying that if they did not give the money to the north east then they would not give it at all.- Thatcher relented.
The lesson learnt?- don't expect money from the tories

Soldato
Devastated, but whats done is done.

However I think what this vote has really highlighted is the massive divide / disjoint in parts of the country. I guess my question is what are the actual demands from the people who voted out. I see terms like Sovereignty, Democracy thrown around etc. But what are some actual things we can now fix to bring the two sides together now that we will eventually have full sovereignty as its put.

By the way genuine question, been mulling in my head for days the exact core issues are (not just screen words) and what needs to be done to fix them.

Caporegime
Your point is.... a different ruling class to our own ruling class ?

I have just took this snippet from Wikipedia regarding the current EU head honcho....

" In early November 2014, just days after becoming head of the commission, Juncker was hit by media disclosures—derived from a document leak known as LuxLeaks—that Luxembourg under his premiership had turned into a major European centre of corporate tax avoidance. With the aid of the Luxembourg government, companies transferred tax liability for many billions of euros to Luxembourg, where the income was taxed at a fraction of 1%. Juncker, who in a speech in Brussels in July 2014 promised to "try to put some morality, some ethics, into the European tax landscape", was sharply criticized following the leaks.[53] A subsequent motion of censure in the European parliament was brought against Juncker over his role in the tax avoidance schemes. The motion was defeated by a large majority.[54] "

So you see, we have zero control or accountability to these people.... But your happy to hand your future to them ?

Sorry something stinks in the EU and aside from London and the foolish Scots (they need EU money and is a Greece waiting to happen)

http://www.filmsforaction.org/artic...the-uk-just-kicked-neoliberalism-in-the-nuts/

I voted Remain, but the more I read about the EU, the more I dislike it

Soldato
I took that from another forum - it's not my neck of the woods, however I took their point as fact. Happy to concede if that's not the case:

When the Tories had done their worst to the north east in the 1980's, the north east of England qualified for a grant from the Eu which would normally be only available to third world countries.
Thatcher wanted the grant to be paid direct to Westminster, to be "distributed". The EU refused saying that the grant was for the north east and that is where it will go. Thatcher threw her handbag about but the EU stuck to their guns saying that if they did not give the money to the north east then they would not give it at all.- Thatcher relented.

Even if they're referring to the EEC, that was a very different organisation to the EU and not really comparable.

Soldato

Money we can't control. Did anyone up there honestly think it meant them or their local government? In Gove's calculus, it'd be: want money? np. here's a cut on business rates and taxes -- earn it yourself; can't? no skills? no infrastructure? businesses fleeing? not my problem, the market will sort you out -- play to your edge. etc.

Soldato
are people that stupid... we'd have a referendum every 6 months or so under those conditions

I think the issue of a referendum is that it is a snap shot of opinion at a point in time. I get the impression you could run this in/out vote 10 times and it would be split 5-5 depending on what had been in the news the night before. For me the question is, should 52% (or 34% depending on how you frame it) have the right to fundamentally change the lives of the rest?

Soldato
Some say we’ll need visas to go to Europe?

Depends if freedom of movement is part of any exit deal. If it is, then no visa needed. But since blocking freedom of movement was a central pillar of the Brexit campaign, who knows what will be agreed. Depends who is doing the negotiating I guess and how much backpeddling they are willing to do.

Soldato
Sadly, when those in power at the EU talk about the EU project, you know that they have an end game (Federal Europe) that they are working towards. Nothing will change that whilst the EU exists in it's current form.

Yeah, stuff like this makes me think in the long run we might just be better off;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-in-a-few-years-says-Jose-Manuel-Barroso.html

As much as I'm not really enjoying the idea of being on our own, neither would I want to be a part of a Federal Europe.

Soldato
I am only going to make one comment in this thread about this, as I have had enough to the back teeth of it. :mad:

The special ********* generation don't get it, they think they can change things by shouting down and screaming we are wrong.

Welcome to the real world and the is no safe space or naughty step anymore, its the real world deal with it.

I am no activist but if the MPs reject this vote, I will be on the streets as we are suppose to be a democratic society.

Not please mum can I have my Ipad back society and just give in, just for peace and calm.

Real world, real issues deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom