Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Going to get messy, Europe has absolutely no reason to make this easy for us. Actually, they will make it as difficult as possible to dissuade others from doing the same. The financial sector will move to Europe (a lot of talk already to this effect) and in the meantime we can't even make a decision to build a much needed runway (now more than ever) so I can't see us making the necessary decisions. Won't affect me much directly, can probably even make a good bit on property in the long run, but it still makes me feel uneasy. Longer term I hope this gamble pays off.

I wish there had been a greater margin on the vote, there should have been a required percentage to meet.

Associate
Exactly this. it is misplaced anger to blame the ordinary people who were persuaded to vote Leave by disinformation, outright lies and hate rhetoric taking advantage of the extremely difficult economic conditions they have been forced to live under for way too long now.

Who can blame anyone for being angry and disillusioned at being constantly trampled by the privileged classes in this country, squeezed by austerity that wasn't their fault, exploited by zero hours contracts and competing for jobs with lots of migrants undercutting wages. But sadly their anger was misdirected onto the EU by the right wing for their open advantage. That's the real scandal.

I suspect there'll be a lot more anger when such Leavers wake up to the fact they've been manipulated, that there won't be any change to immigration, they won't be spending 350m a week on the NHS, there won't be any replacement for the regional development money currently dished out by the EU. But by then it might be all too late to stop the slide down the toilet bowl, which is where UK politics and the economy are heading if Brexit isn't halted.

Remain over exaggerated and told lies also.

Not all of us voted on a 350 million figure. My reasons was for nation sovereignty.

Wish the remainers would stop whinging and trying to excuse the result in any **** way they can and start trying to move the country forwards.

We had a lucky escape imo.

Soldato
I'm serious, where is the positive news.

Over half the voters won this vote of their own free will.

There's no end of people to say don't complain about the outcome. Ok fine, lets hear what there is to celebrate.

Don't all rush, I have a whole day off to read it all.

Soldato
Going to get messy, Europe has absolutely no reason to make this easy for us. Actually, they will make it as difficult as possible to dissuade others from doing the same.
That's fine unless more countries do take the plunge regardless. Each one gives the EU less power to wield. I firmly believe if one more country decides to leave, it's the end for the Eu as we know it now.

Caporegime
Ireland is an EU country, has quite relaxed requirements for citizenship and Dublin is doing nicely at the moment with a lot of US tech companies.

As selfish as it might sound the only way this ends well for the UK is if it damages the EU massively on the way out.

Associate
Because they didn't vote to remain or, in fact, at all, it means they are instantly added to the leave camp? You don't see a flaw in that logic?

A number of posters have said that nearly half the population voted to remain when in fact it was a little under 35% that voted to remain, just over 37% voted to leave and about 28% didn't care enough to vote either way. Thats what i am getting at.

Soldato
The ruling class have essentially conned the working class into voting to keep the ruling class in power, simultaneously ****ing the working class... like they've been doing for decades. This vote has instigated austerity, it's allowed the ruling class a free reign and to totally take the ****.

I read today that the Tees area, between 2008 and 2013, has received £40m in EU infrastructure investments. Indeed, in the 80's the EU decided to invest in the area and Thatcher threw her toys out the pram when the EU wanted to give the money directly to the NE instead of to her in London to distribute. How on earth do the regions think this or the next government will invest in them. They've barely done it beforehand, now we're going to have less money floating around, why would they invest more?

Soldato
Remain over exaggerated and told lies also.

Not all of us voted on a 350 million figure. My reasons was for nation sovereignty.

It appears most likely we'll end up back in the EEA as such we'll still have to follow some EU rules without any input on them and will probably have to accept free movement.

I'm not 100% sure how much sovereignty we've regained there.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Another referendum is certainly on the cards but there are two major obstacles I see; currency and the fact Spain will never allow a break-away country to join for fear of Catalonia then following.

To quote a phrase..

Bazinga

Soldato
Ireland is an EU country, has quite relaxed requirements for citizenship and Dublin is doing nicely at the moment with a lot of US tech companies.

As selfish as it might sound the only way this ends well for the UK is if it damages the EU massively on the way out.

They'll also benefit from a load of our UK banking operations moving over there too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom