Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I am only going to make one comment in this thread about this, as I have had enough to the back teeth of it. :mad:

The special ********* generation don't get it, they think they can change things by shouting down and screaming we are wrong.

Welcome to the real world and the is no safe space or naughty step anymore, its the real world deal with it.

I am no activist but if the MPs reject this vote, I will be on the streets as we are suppose to be a democratic society.

Not please mum can I have my Ipad back society and just give in, just for peace and calm.

Real world, real issues...

Real b-itchy.:D Chill, and let your betters take care of the hot messes you keep leaving around the house. :p

Soldato
I think the issue of a referendum is that it is a snap shot of opinion at a point in time. I get the impression you could run this in/out vote 10 times and it would be split 5-5 depending on what had been in the news the night before. For me the question is, should 52% (or 34% depending on how you frame it) have the right to fundamentally change the lives of the rest?

I thought this back when the Scottish Independence Referendum was running. It does seem madness that such significant changes can be brought about by such slim majorities.

Can't say I agree with the idea of changing the rules after the fact though. That would be ridiculous.

Caporegime
Does anyone actually have any idea the timescales we are talking about when it comes to certain things? Lets say we are ejected and treated like a non-EU/EEA country - how long could it take to organise:
  • Ability to move into/around the EU short term - both holidays and for business
  • Ability to emigrate into the EU
  • Import/export trade agreements with the EU for goods/services
  • Any short/long-term immigration to non-EU that have been lost due to exiting the EU
  • Trade agreements with the non-EU for goods/services that have been lost due to exiting the EU
Im sure theres more to think about but it be good to get a ball park figure on those types of negotiations.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I am only going to make one comment in this thread about this, as I have had enough to the back teeth of it. :mad:

The special ********* generation don't get it, they think they can change things by shouting down and screaming we are wrong.

Welcome to the real world and the is no safe space or naughty step anymore, its the real world deal with it.

I am no activist but if the MPs reject this vote, I will be on the streets as we are suppose to be a democratic society.

Not please mum can I have my Ipad back society and just give in, just for peace and calm.

Real world, real issues deal with it.

I think the way people respond to you isn't because of what you voted but it's the reasons you give for doing so.

You know, I had a friend who worked in a mental home and he told me the most difficult part of his job was trying to get the residents to understand that they're not behaving rationally.

Caporegime
The liklihood is a visa waiver/free travel system, like the US and Canada will be put in place IMO.

Out of interest what are the opinions of forcing a General election before article 50 is invoked. It's not out of this world to suggest the people should have a say in who negotiates quite possibly the largest political decision/negotiation in 60 years.

If that did happen then my gut feeling is we would have a Conservative party led by Boris who would be campaigning for enacting article 50, and then other parties campaigning for staying in. Could be an interesting situation if that happened.

Whether parliament elects to dissolve itself is another question though, but there could be enough MPs to do so as long as there wasn't a major whip on the subject.

Caporegime
What about the global and European companies that have chosen to have their European HQ's in the UK? Large business, large employers and large amounts of both corporate and employee taxes being paid in the UK?

It's all going to go.

Haven't tata steel announced that the rescue package to save 11000 jobs in wales, Sheffield and the north east is all off now because of the brexit?

So that's 11k jobs gone already and those areas all voted out.

Soldato
Does anyone actually have any idea the timescales we are talking about when it comes to certain things? Lets say we are ejected and treated like a non-EU/EEA country - how long could it take to organise:
  • Ability to move into/around the EU short term - both holidays and for business
  • Ability to emigrate into the EU
  • Import/export trade agreements with the EU for goods/services
  • Any short/long-term immigration to non-EU that have been lost due to exiting the EU
  • Trade agreements with the non-EU for goods/services that have been lost due to exiting the EU
Im sure theres more to think about but it be good to get a ball park figure on those types of negotiations.

No-one knows. I'm not being flippant, quite literally no-one knows.

Brexit didn't make any plans for how exactly they would proceed after winning, perhaps because they didn't really expect to win and have no major political party driving their policy on this. And Remain had no Plan B because they were that arrogant and over-confident about success.

It's a right British muddle. But what else would we expect?

Soldato
Depends if freedom of movement is part of any exit deal. If it is, then no visa needed. But since blocking freedom of movement was a central pillar of the Brexit campaign, who knows what will be agreed. Depends who is doing the negotiating I guess and how much backpeddling they are willing to do.

You don't need freedom of movement to have visa-free travel. Plenty of non-EU countries have visa-free travel to the Schengen area.

Caporegime
The liklihood is a visa waiver/free travel system, like the US and Canada will be put in place IMO.

Out of interest what are the opinions of forcing a General election before article 50 is invoked. It's not out of this world to suggest the people should have a say in who negotiates quite possibly the largest political decision/negotiation in 60 years.

If that did happen then my gut feeling is we would have a Conservative party led by Boris who would be campaigning for enacting article 50, and then other parties campaigning for staying in. Could be an interesting situation if that happened.

Whether parliament elects to dissolve itself is another question though, but there could be enough MPs to do so as long as there wasn't a major whip on the subject.
I would want a GE before activating article 50 - seems mad to allow the PCP to decide which person will act on our behalf to argue our rights as per our divorce from the EU.

Ultimately people werent happy when Gordon Brown didnt call for an early GE when he took power let alone now when we have such a decision/negotiation to make. Id want someone thats been duly elected...

Soldato
I think the way people respond to you isn't because of what you voted but it's the reasons you give for doing so.

You know, I had a friend who worked in a mental home and he told me the most difficult part of his job was trying to get the residents to understand that they're not behaving rationally.

What's not rational is giving 50-60m people a vote and then expecting them to get an A level in Politics and Economics to make that decision.

We paid Remain and Leave £m's to help us make that decision instead and both failed to staggering degrees.

But given that Remain had more money and the support of the PM and the leader of the opposition their failure is total.

Remain voters getting sound bites out of the Guardian are getting so tedious.

Soldato
You don't need freedom of movement to have visa-free travel. Plenty of non-EU countries have visa-free travel to the Schengen area.

It is mutually beneficial as it makes travelling around the continent a lot easier. That benefit is not as prevalent for an western island.

Soldato
What's not rational is giving 50-60m people a vote and then expecting them to get an A level in Politics and Economics to make that decision.

We paid Remain and Leave £m's to help us make that decision instead and both failed to staggering degrees.

But given that Remain had more money and the support of the PM and the leader of the opposition their failure is total.

Remain voters getting sound bites out of the Guardian are getting so tedious.

I agree. The referendum should never have been given, it was unnecessary, pointless and only promised as a tool for election.

What annoys me the most is tory campaigners who warned voting labour was a risk to the economy. Many of the same tory campaigners then threw that angle out of the window and supported the biggest economic gamble we are ever likely to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom