• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
Plenty of people, if people could get out of the mindset of sticking to a particular brand like a puppy humping a leg then a lot more would also.

It's not about mindset at all. For example I have a GTX 970 and had it for a year and a half, I don't upgrade that often. Why would I get a 480?
For virtually no gain?

I am buying a 1080 and that will tidy me over for at least 3 years at which point I will look at the market again. Hopefully AMD does better ( a lot better actually! ) next time, if they can or are still around.

Caporegime
It's not about mindset at all. For example I have a GTX 970 and had it for a year and a half, I don't upgrade that often. Why would I get a 480?
For virtually no gain?

Its a lot about mindset, some people outright refuse to buy one brand or the other regardless of price or performance. And your comparison is pretty moot, im obviously referring to the bigger picture over the years and of things to come, 970 to 480 makes no sense, but 970 to vega over a 1080 could well make a lot of sense, the fact is some people just stick to one brand and thats it.

Associate
Its a lot about mindset, some people outright refuse to buy one brand or the other regardless of price or performance. And your comparison is pretty moot, im obviously referring to the bigger picture over the years and of things to come, 970 to 480 makes no sense, but 970 to vega over a 1080 could well make a lot of sense, the fact is some people just stick to one brand and thats it.

well ok, where is vega? what am I supposed to do? Play the waiting game?

By the time vega comes out, NVidia will be ahead of the game again, waiting makes no sense to me. Might as well buy the best card I can, enjoy it and buy another when it makes sense. This isn't how everyone is thinking of course, but it works for me.

Caporegime
AMD Radeon RX 400 series naming scheme explained

Naming.jpg

http://videocardz.com/61721/amd-radeon-rx-400-series-naming-scheme-explained

Caporegime

By the time vega comes out, NVidia will be ahead of the game again, waiting makes no sense to me. Might as well buy the best card I can, enjoy it and buy another when it makes sense. This isn't how everyone is thinking of course, but it works for me.

You don't know who will be ahead of the game then, i'm saying for an upgrade NOW from a 970 a 480 makes no sense unless you're vram limited. People are content to play the waiting game as there's always something coming down the pipe.

Sad fact is there's a lot of ignorance and outdated thinking when it comes to gpu's, when amd is concerned all you hear is "drivers", this has long been the warcry of why not to go amd and its a reputation that persists despite it not being relevant in a decade plus. Thats the one main reason why some people refuse to try amd cards out, and it amazes me people can still hold to that kind of thinking in 2016.

Crossfire and sli is an area where both sides have their issues but for single card at least both are pretty solid, that being said the myth of amd "bad drivers" still remains ad its something that has hung around since the old rage fury maxx days back in 1999.

Soldato

I don't get people like you, why are you even in this thread? This card was never supposed to be a replacement for people who already have 970/390. You get 1080 if you want to upgrade now or wait for whatever comes out in the future when you're ready to upgrade. Why waste time whining about a card that wasn't made for customers like you? Just buy a 1080, 2nd 970 for SLI, 980TI or wait for more to come out. The choice could not have been easier...

Associate
I don't get people like you, why are you even in this thread? This card was never supposed to be a replacement for people who already have 970/390. You get 1080 if you want to upgrade now or wait for whatever comes out in the future when you're ready to upgrade. Why waste time whining about a card that wasn't made for customers like you? Just buy a 1080, 2nd 970 for SLI, 980TI or wait for more to come out. The choice could not have been easier...

I am sorry, I didn't realize that I wasn't allowed to post in this thread.
I am not sure where you see this whining you're talking about, I suggest you read up about what difference of opinions actually means.

Associate

By the time vega comes out maybe just maybe you got your 1080 deliverd :p

Man of Honour
Is talk of this potentially killing Motherboards a real issue or just hyperbole?

Serious question.

Looks like overclocked and overvolted it can exceed the minimum spec that motherboard manufacturers have to work to - especially if you don't have adequate case cooling there is a chance of killing the board in edge cases where the motherboard manufacturer hasn't designed in sufficient margin.

Associate
True, still glad I didn't buy one.

How right you are sir!

Looking at some of the crossfire results that are starting to come through suggests that you should not just buy one, you should buy two. ;)

In all honesty I am a little dissapointed that the RX480 is not the 390X/980 equivalent that we hoped it would be. However, AMD have never quoted that it was going to be. That was all from hype and hope on this very forum.

However, this morning after trawling You Tube I have seen what can only be called pretty favorable crossfire game benches across almost all games (6 mainstream AAA titles not withstanding, which do also have some SLI issues too or no support at all).

Has anyone else seen any RX480 crossfire benches and if so, what do you think?

Soldato
Pretty sure the 960 had the same issue. Doesn't seem like too much of an issue. If it was me, I'd just reduce the voltage. Seems to have performance benefits from undervolting too.

It's actually worse on the 960 since it spikes much higher but no one complained or had their mb destroyed yet.

1467278576107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom