The next Conservative Leader thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What's the alternative here? We, whatever you may think of Cameron's decision, had a referendum which was sold to the British people as we will leave the EU or remain in the EU, and we - in our great and collective wisdom - decided to leave.

We can argue about how dumb that was but it doesn't make much difference, we had that vote. How can we not respect that vote without doing permanent and lasting damage to public perceptions of democracy?

Unless there is material change of circumstances, I don't see how we can do otherwise than leave the EU.

a material change of circumstances like the best the ne PM campaign can negotiate is EEA membership with freedom of movement, adherence to all relevant EU laws and a massive financial contribution to the EU?

I seriously doubt that if the choice on the ballot paper had been remain a member of the EU or accept the above scenario we would have seen a leave majority. I think it would be criminal of our politicians to sign up for a version of the above scenario without consulting the people as it isn't what either side voted for!

Soldato
a material change of circumstances like the best the ne PM campaign can negotiate is EEA membership with freedom of movement, adherence to all relevant EU laws and a massive financial contribution to the EU?

I seriously doubt that if the choice on the ballot paper had been remain a member of the EU or accept the above scenario we would have seen a leave majority. I think it would be criminal of our politicians to sign up for a version of the above scenario without consulting the people as it isn't what either side voted for!

That would be an interesting press conference:

"Hey guys, I'm pleased to announce that I've managed to negotiate a deal with the EU that includes everything you hated about membership in the first place and very few of the associated benefits."

Soldato
And yet his does indeed seem the most likely outcome.

It's been my prediction since the result was announced. I can't see the EU voting against their own interests, and our new status as plucky under dogs isn't going to do us much good when we sit at the negotiating table across from a much larger, faintly hostile trading bloc.

I'm pretty much resigned to going with the flow. I won't argue against democracy and insist on another referendum so I'll just continue to try and safeguard myself as much as possible and see where we are when the dust settles.

Soldato
Except EEA membership would place an absolute cap on our EU integration which was not guaranteed under our homeopathic re-negotiation which arguably gave up more than it gained.
So we would keep much of what we like, lose the risk associated with further integration, no longer have to blanket apply EU regulations where they do not impact the EU which is the case for a majority of UK businesses. And any necessary future negotiations will be on a far more even footing because we won't be subject to Article 50, qualified majority voting or any of those other great things designed to allow the process of the EU to grind individual members into submission.

As for free movement we'll see what happens, I doubt we'll ever want to close our borders to the EU but we may be able limit in and out of work benefits.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
due to the abuse Oo oh dear the poor little thing. good job she's jacking it in then as god knows how she would handle being pm.

Caporegime
Well, her reputation has astonishingly naive is sealed. Amazing.

And May is our next Prime Minister, the BBC are talking about her being in by the end of the month. Makes sense really, no point Cameron carrying on as a zombie PM.

Soldato
That's saved two months. Leadsom clearly wasn't up to it. Mrs. May wasn't a hard line remainer and she has set out categorically that we're leaving.

She's played it perfectly.

Soldato
It is my honest belief Leadsom never entered the contest expecting to get selected for final ballot. It is often a good tactic to go for these things and get knocked out as it raises your profile and demonstrates some support which can be parlayed into a ministerial position. For her having done pretty well on the Leave campaign a failed tilt for party leader would have burnished her improved image had she not been unfortunate enough to get to the final 2 and been exposed as out of her depth. She will no doubt improve as a politician and may get a promotion from her efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom