• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3D Mark Time Spy not using true A-Sync, Maxwell A-Sync switched off!

Associate
... dramatic music playing ... yup, just reached lvl 2. Let's see how high it gets.

Nah, just head over to the Steam forums. It's over 9000 over there. :rolleyes:

Yes after 7-9 months releasing a competitor of GTX 1080 , it will finally beat GTX 1080, however at that time Nvidia will be launching GTX Titan (pascal) and GTX 1080 Ti.

And charging and arm and a leg for that. Trust me, i loved my old 660, but NVIDIA card prices are getting ridiculous. At least one vendor is trying to bring acceptable performance for the masses. And it's not charity, it just makes business sense.

Last edited:
Associate
I was just about to say, he posted a screenshot of a Fury-X killing a 980TI and 95% the performance of a 1080.

Thats what proper A-sync does.

Vega will kill the 1080 stone dead.

to be fair, looking at how much it costs, that fury x should be close to a 1080 in everything not just in 1 game using 1 api. Async should not even come into discussion, it's a £559 card ( and yes I know it's discounted now but that's not the point, is it? )

Caporegime
Nvidia will always remain best at high end parts with a heavy price demand. When Nvidia will be releasing GTX 1080 TI then AMD will only be competing with GTX 1080.

You seem more like a walking evangelical Nvidia commercial telling us to worship the Nvidia faith. "Oh lord praise the NVIDIA, i say PRAISE THE NVIDIA"

Vega maybe crap or it may utterly kill the 1080TI, all we know right now is with proper DX12 AMD's old generation makes Nvidia latest and greatest tremble.

Soldato
Nvidia will always remain best at high end parts with a heavy price demand. When Nvidia will be releasing GTX 1080 TI then AMD will only be competing with GTX 1080.

This won't be the case. I am not saying overall AMD will be faster but there is 2 variants of Vega. These should be made into around 3-4 Gpu's between them. I expect the lesser variant will be able to handle the 1080 and the big variant to challenge the ti.

Soldato
I was just about to say, he posted a screenshot of a Fury-X killing a 980TI and 95% the performance of a 1080.

Thats what proper A-sync does.

Vega will kill the 1080 stone dead.

Nope, Hitman was made with AMD, All those dx12 goodies that help Amd should be present in that game, I don't care i just dont buy such games, Like farcry 4 was nvidia at the time.

Associate
You seem more like a walking evangelical Nvidia commercial telling us to worship the Nvidia faith.

Vega maybe crap or it will utterly kill the 1080TI, all we know right now is with proper DX12 AMD's old generation makes Nvidia latest and greatest tremble.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all proclaimed Vega basically competes with 1070. Kind expect that from AMD, but hey, there is room for a real surprise. C'mon AMD, let's see what you can do.

Soldato
to be fair, looking at how much it costs, that fury x should be close to a 1080 in everything not just in 1 game using 1 api. Async should not even come into discussion, it's a £559 card ( and yes I know it's discounted now but that's not the point, is it? )

So by that the 980Ti and Titan X should be doing the same to the 1080?
Since we're ignoring discounts here.

Associate
So by that the 980Ti and Titan X should be doing the same to the 1080?
Since we're ignoring discounts here.

All I am saying, at that price point it should work everywhere. This whole, oh look it's killing anything in one game and just wait 2,3,4,5 years until more games like that come out is simply not cutting it for me.

I don't play just one game do you?

Soldato
All I am saying, at that price point it should work everywhere. This whole, oh look it's killing anything in one game and just wait 2,3,4,5 years until more games like that come out is simply not cutting it for me.

I don't play just one game do you?

So then the 980Ti and Titan X should also be matching it gotcha, considering their entrance price point.

Also there is more than one DX12 game, but a single vulkan game for now. Plenty more AAA titles coming the end of the year.
The FX also does work everywhere, it doesn't suddenly stop working, and in DX11 it's matching or slightly behind the 980Ti. It's just in new API's it's doing better than both of those, and getting ahead of the 1070.

So by price point then both the 980Ti and Titan X are terrible really for matching and beating the 1070 in older games and newer according to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What i get much LOL from is i still use my 290p i bought almost 3years ago, i bought a Freesync screen, it has rendered getting an upgrade kinda pointless right now, as everything is smooooooth and looks good, whats the point having 200fps if your monitor is capped at 60hz?

Another thing, in the time ive owned my 290, a mate has owned a 970, 980, 980ti and now a 1080, yet still runs a 60hz screen.. that my friends is the typical nvidia fan, absolutely driven by the media and reviews that "you too can game at 200fps" on a 60hz screen hahaha...

ive tried to explain to him countless times that the additional power is basically wasted until he upgrades his screen but he wont have it, "but i get 160fps average!" umm no, you really dont..

I find it hilarious that poeple chase the never ending increase in performance by buying newer gpu's over and over but never actually improve the most important part of gaming... the monitor, as thats what you spend your hours looking at, unless your some weirdo who just sits and looks at the pretty gpu in the case?

Associate
I find it hilarious that poeple chase the never ending increase in performance by buying newer gpu's over and over but never actually improve the most important part of gaming... the monitor, as thats what you spend your hours looking at

wow, I am shocked, someone pinch me.

You actually said something I actually agree with .... of course there had to be some insult thrown in there for some random guy who forgot to upgrade his monitor but hey ... can't have everything, can I?

But yeah, as my favourite actor used to say ... spank me rosy ... I am shocked ... shocked I say!

Soldato
OP
wow, I am shocked, someone pinch me.

You actually said something I actually agree with .... of course there had to be some insult thrown in there for some random guy who forgot to upgrade his monitor but hey ... can't have everything, can I?

But yeah, as my favourite actor used to say ... spank me rosy ... I am shocked ... shocked I say!

Cool, i still think your spout more nonsense then sense though, but hey we both cant be winners can we? ;)

Infact your probably spouting nonsense right now, no one accuses me of making sense and gets away with it!

Caporegime
What i get much LOL from is i still use my 290p i bought almost 3years ago, i bought a Freesync screen, it has rendered getting an upgrade kinda pointless right now, as everything is smooooooth and looks good, whats the point having 200fps if your monitor is capped at 60hz?

Another thing, in the time ive owned my 290, a mate has owned a 970, 980, 980ti and now a 1080, yet still runs a 60hz screen.. that my friends is the typical nvidia fan, absolutely driven by the media and reviews that "you too can game at 200fps" on a 60hz screen hahaha...

ive tried to explain to him countless times that the additional power is basically wasted until he upgrades his screen but he wont have it, "but i get 160fps average!" umm no, you really dont..

I find it hilarious that poeple chase the never ending increase in performance by buying newer gpu's over and over but never actually improve the most important part of gaming... the monitor, as thats what you spend your hours looking at, unless your some weirdo who just sits and looks at the pretty gpu in the case?

Whilst I agree that a 1080 is getting into the realms of overkill for 1080p and 60hz, a 290 level performing card is not powerful enough to run the latest games maxed out at a constant 60fps at 1080p. What resolution monitor does your friend have?

Some people are more susceptible to drops below 60 than others and i don't think any card, bar a 1080 perhaps is overkill for 1080p.

The sad fact is, is that for all these 1440p, 4k and 144hz monitors, we simply don't have the grunt to feed them yet ( not with a single card solution anyway). Not if you want to play the latest and greatest games graphics wise and have room for maneuver on more demanding future titles.

Associate
from AMD results, you know that the test isn't right, AMD cards still way inefficient in using all their CUs on that test, the overall performance gains seem to be coming from CPU usage.
i wanted to say maybe it's AMD drivers, but future mark is supposed to have full access to the GPU, and drivers wouldn't be that much of an issue, one thing is sure i was disapointed by the test, maybe the workload is low, because higher one would create problems on maxwell.

Soldato
http://steamcommunity.com/app/223850/discussions/0/366298942110944664/?ctp=27#c359543951702496488

http://www.futuremark.com/business/benchmark-development-program

"AMD, NVIDIA and Intel are all members. They can see the source code, they have direct access to the developers and they have had pre-release builds for months.

The only people I know of that are not fine with the implementation are a couple of people participating in this thread and similar threads in other forums. I don't think they've read the source code and I don't know their credentials, but this is an open forum and as long as the discussion stays in this thread and civil, by all means...

...and yes, some of it has been less than civil, but I've opted not to remote the offeding posts because most are from posters that would most likely next move on to yelling "censorship" and "Futuremark is trying to hide the truth(tm)(R)" or something like that. They can freely give their viewpoint and I hope the readers of this thread can form their own conclusions.

We will have an official clarification and will most likely update the technical guide with more in-depth explanation of internal workings of Time Spy, hopefully tomorrow."

Back
Top Bottom