• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Associate
It should definitely be more powerful and cheaper than the 970 at the very least. That's the whole point of every generation right? More performance for your money.

Associate
I think people should make more use of the 2nd hand market.

I agree they should and in the past few years it's been a great way to get a 2nd hand card with effectively the same technology as the newest cards. I do think the change in process changes things though, especially with the power/efficiency gains nvidia have realised.

Associate
yes I did look at a certain auction site for a decent 2nd hand card last week for my nephew..most people seem to want more for last gen cards than they are new lol.

Associate
It's the opposite. PC gaming has gained a lot of popularity the past couple of years so companies can greedily charge more.

It's very easy to make a statement like that.

You however don't have any R&D costs, you don't have to pay staff, you don't have to manufacture anything and don't have to worry about customer support and games integration either. A company needs to make money in order to continue delivering. I for one have no issue with that. Not everyone wants cheap stuff, some want to see tech going forward and that can't be done by always selling to the cheaper segment of the market and never making any profit. What I am saying is that your point of view is very limited and you might want to consider other things before you accuse anyone of being greedy.

They can easily call you cheap as well. It's a matter or perspective but not only that.

There is a choice of cards available from both companies, there is a second hand market as well. We need them to continue investing. So, it might be worth to complain a bit less. Yes costs are higher than in previous years, no one is debating that, but at the same time we have seen interesting jumps and changes in architecture. Those don't come cheap.

Look at games, it takes years and huge budgets ( as in millions ) to produce one game and it comes out at what ? £40 average? Things are what they are and tech costs a lot.

Soldato
I agree they should and in the past few years it's been a great way to get a 2nd hand card with effectively the same technology as the newest cards. I do think the change in process changes things though, especially with the power/efficiency gains nvidia have realised.

The power/efficiency gains are nice, but what do they actually equate to over a year?

I'd have to know that before moving that up the priority list, and tbh my power bills are pretty low anyway. I understand power bills might be a real issue for those with 3-4 kids!

Soldato

You however don't have any R&D costs, you don't have to pay staff, you don't have to manufacture anything and don't have to worry about customer support and games integration either. A company needs to make money in order to continue delivering. I for one have no issue with that. Not everyone wants cheap stuff, some want to see tech going forward and that can't be done by always selling to the cheaper segment of the market and never making any profit. What I am saying is that your point of view is very limited and you might want to consider other things before you accuse anyone of being greedy.

They can easily call you cheap as well. It's a matter or perspective but not only that.

There is a choice of cards available from both companies, there is a second hand market as well. We need them to continue investing. So, it might be worth to complain a bit less. Yes costs are higher than in previous years, no one is debating that, but at the same time we have seen interesting jumps and changes in architecture. Those don't come cheap.

Look at games, it takes years and huge budgets ( as in millions ) to produce one game and it comes out at what ? £40 average? Things are what they are and tech costs a lot.

I'm sure nvidia is really struggling with costs after announcing record breaking profits two years in a row :rolleyes:

Caporegime

Your right of course but at £275 with 980 performance and nothing like the overclocking you get from the 970 its basically a pre-overclocked 970 at about the same money.

And that's fine as its a replacement for the 960, not the 970, that's the 1070, which is £150 more than the 970 was, 30% faster it is but its still one hell of a hike in price, can that much of a hike be justified like this?

IMO no, that's more about milking for cash, profiteering.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom