Snow Sports 2016/17

Caporegime
6'1"

As I said 188s would probably be a better bet, but at the same time I prefer shorter skis so...

And TBH I've never really been given a legitimate reason why height is a more important factor than weight on ski length decisions. :p

Don
Because height indicates the length of your legs so impacts your centre of gravity over the ski when skiing.

Depending on ability, if your light for your height then the 180 would likely be recommended.

Caporegime
Because height indicates the length of your legs so impacts your centre of gravity over the ski when skiing.

Depending on ability, if your light for your height then the 180 would likely be recommended.

This, height is the most important factor. OK, if you are relaly heavy and want to float really high in blower then you could go longer, but wider would also help.

Fir a powder ski in any case you want to go long. I have Black Crows Nevis in 188Cm, i'm 5ft8 and they feel just right to me. Length really helps you float, even more so than width. Even in var tight trees I can throw the ksi over very quick, way quicker than my 155cm slalom skis for example in similar condition, because the front is floating nicely the skis become weightless.

Saying that, going shorter doesn't have a huge negative impact. It can be nice on some super tight couloirs. A few times I've done some chutes that were narrower than my skis which is really unfortunate!

Don
Other main negative of going longer is turn circle is longer for on piste skiing, though I've only really noticed it in moguls.

Depends on your skiing priorities, for me the 180 Soul7 is a superb one ski quiver.

Caporegime
Other main negative of going longer is turn circle is longer for on piste skiing, though I've only really noticed it in moguls.

Depends on your skiing priorities, for me the 180 Soul7 is a superb one ski quiver.

It is little longer on piste but I don't tend to ski on-piste, and if I am then i'll use a GS ski. Powder skis tend not to ski too well on prepared pistes, due to the different design requirements., e.g my Black crows have a soft front to rise up in powder, that leads to chatter when bombing it down a piste. I also have almost no waist on powder ski which makes carving hard.

Different tools for different jobs.

Caporegime

I've got a fairly long body for my height, which perhaps indicates why I've never quite seen it as much of a difference, especially when someone at 6"1 can be 10st or 14st, which will make just as big a difference IMO.

I'm not saying height isn't an important factor, just that weight is more important IMO for a lot of ski decisions. If you can't load the ski up enough you're not going to have as much fun.

Anyway, yeah, the reason I like shorter skis in general is the added control you get, especially in the bumps and narrow areas/couloirs. :)

Out of interest Jokester what sort of body size are you?

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got any good recommendation for gloves? I have a very old pair of salomon something or others that were a RMA from a customer back when I was living in the UK.

They're pretty knackered now and are probably more duct tape than anything else. Thing is I hate most gloves I find as they are massive. I like something a little more low profile, but obviously still need warmth.

Impossible request submitted.

Soldato
Have used mittens for warmth (even with thin polypro gloves beneath) they give enough dexterity for sking I think - using predecessor to Marmot expedition.

re: Powder skiing - where are the venues for this is Europe ?
I think you have to live adjacent to a ski resort to be able to have this in Europe so that you can take a day off and go if the conditions present, was near Southern Alps but even then powder was limited to Northern facing slopes on ski-mountaineering descents, and maybe 20% of trips to Chamonix.
Ski resort rules re off-piste skiing are also strict (vs USA?) and there are prosecutions for infractions.
(have not skiid in USA but think that altitude and stable/bigger weather systems may give you the edge ... or is that just a rubbish theory ? )

Caporegime
Have used mittens for warmth (even with thin polypro gloves beneath) they give enough dexterity for sking I think - using predecessor to Marmot expedition.

re: Powder skiing - where are the venues for this is Europe ?
I think you have to live adjacent to a ski resort to be able to have this in Europe so that you can take a day off and go if the conditions present, was near Southern Alps but even then powder was limited to Northern facing slopes on ski-mountaineering descents, and maybe 20% of trips to Chamonix.
Ski resort rules re off-piste skiing are also strict (vs USA?) and there are prosecutions for infractions.
(have not skiid in USA but think that altitude and stable/bigger weather systems may give you the edge ... or is that just a rubbish theory ? )

you can get powder any where in Europe. The best places are the very small quiet family places that aren't filled with Brits or Swedes. you need to look off the beaten path.

in spring powder will never last more than a day or 2 on anything that catches the sun, this is even more true in the US.

You have the restrictions backwards with regards to the US vs Europe. in Europe you can ski pretty much anywhere almost anytime, the ropes and fences set up saying do nt enter are only advisory for the most part. The exceptions are during periods if extreme avalanche danger where they make announcements that off-piste is forbidden. Prosecution only comes about if you cause an avalanche that kills someone.

In the US it is very, very different. Off piste is often forbidden outright and you get your lift ticket pulled. Areas that allow back-country set u specific gates that are often closed. They often have restrictions tht you must be in a group and will check you have full avy gear. A sign that says an area is closed strictly and legally means that in The US unlike in Europe.

Many US areas do get god winter snowfall and lighter snow but you also have far more competition for powder and the reorts are most much smaller. The Popular US resorts ae totally mobbed by powder hounds. You get about 2 hours t ski powder before you are going through cut-up chalk.

Again, the best places are the small family orientated hills that no one has heard of. One of my favorites was closed during the week and so you got great powder Saturday morning.

But IMO, if you really care about powder you need to earn your turns. Even in very busy areas in the US or Europe I can ski powder all weekend long, weeks after the last snow storm.

Last xmas i was at Jackson Hole and spent 10 days skiing waist deep blower. The 1 day i paid to ski , the day after i landed and after a big snowstorm had hit, the entire mountain was already totally skied out. I searched high and low but it was the biggest waste of $120 lift ticket. 10 days later I was getting face shots on a 3000ft line where the only tracks wee my own from the days before.

Man of Honour
trying to learn to ski, not finding it easy, my right leg is fine, my left leg is absolutely useless doesn't have strength, flexibility or coordination. which makes everything difficult.

got a skiing stag tri in Bulgaria in jan.

Soldato
Squats and lunges every night. Once you can do a pistol squat without holding on to any support you can officially blame your technique rather than your leg strength!

Do you have access to a Bosu ball? Any equipment that will produce instability will be beneficial.

Stretching will also be beneficial. Get yourself over to the gym rats thread to get a more educated response and training ideas!

Caporegime
D.P. I don't think it's that simple r.e. off piste skiing. It's probably more ski area specific.

For example there are a number of European ski resorts with where skiing out of bounds is forbidden, usually when they are adjacent to a national park or protected area. There is still usually plenty of off piste stuff to play in within the ski resort area though.

In North American, not entirely sure about the US, but certainly in Canada there are several resorts you can ski wherever you want. Yes, if an area/run is actually closed (with signs etc) then you may well get chucked off (same as european resorts), but you can quite happily ski out of bounds at places like Lake Louise, because it's in the national park. Obviously there won't be any patrolling outside the ski area, so you're more responsive for your own safety than usual, but you can go anywhere you want.

Just remember though that your Insurance may not cover you for anything other than off piste next to groomed runs.

Soldato
This is why I love the 3 valleys. The ridiculously cheap off piste insurance which can be purchased with the ski pass allows an unbelievable area to explore... and get helicoptered out of if you're in trouble!

Soldato
First ever ski-trip for me this winter.

Whilst we're on the glove talk: I'm looking into gloves - borrowed my wife's mittens for a few lessons at the snow-dome. They are a bit small, being a medium - could do with large, but I rather like that they were mittens rather than gloves, which feel bulkier around the fingers.

Are mittens ok? Is there good reason to go for gloves?

Associate
First ever ski-trip for me this winter.

Whilst we're on the glove talk: I'm looking into gloves - borrowed my wife's mittens for a few lessons at the snow-dome. They are a bit small, being a medium - could do with large, but I rather like that they were mittens rather than gloves, which feel bulkier around the fingers.

Are mittens ok? Is there good reason to go for gloves?

Nothing wrong with mittens, but I'd strongly suggest going with a "Mitten-Combo" which is where the index finger is separate.

Example

I personally think it's down to personal preference regarding mitten over gloves, mittens can be/tend to be warmer IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom