Snow Sports 2016/17

Caporegime
That sort of pass price isn't normal though, even for preseason sales. That's ridiculously cheap compared to pretty much any other season pass I've seen, especially for a multi resort pass.

European resort passes can be a bit hit and miss. The can be cheaper in a package, but they can also be cheaper when bought separately, it all depends on the exchange rate. Usually most package operators charge the price based on preseason/beginning of season exchange rate. If it gets worse before you go then it can be cheaper to buy at resort.

If you're doing a package tour then it worth knowing the price and then seeing how much the rep is selling them for when on the coach to the resort, although some companies are difficult as they will quote in euros and then take payment in £ with their own exchange rate...

IME there's never been a huge difference in price, but buying from them may mean you don't have to faf around at the window buying your own. Many companies also throw in free passes/ do two for one offers.

The main negative about package tours is it take forever to get to the resort. Book your own flights and accommodation and you could be at resort at noon on Saturday and leave after the lifts shut on Sunday where's go with a tour and you won't get any skiing done on he Saturday and you'll have to leave Saturday morning. So doingit yourself can give you lots more time at resort to ski.

Last edited:
Associate
We've been looking at doing it our selves, as some of the prices that have come in are crazy! France is just stupidly expensive!
So we thought we'd look at Bulgaria, But I've heard mix reviews.. So we now thinking of Andorra

Any thoughts on Andorra?

Caporegime
Not sure where you are looking but France can be dirt cheap if you don't mind 1960s concrete hotels etc.

Soldato
I absolutely love the 3 Valleys. The ski area is tremendous and the villages are all pretty well set out. The only problem is actually getting there as the transfers are a couple of hours from either Lyon or Chambery.

Meribel is my favourite of all 3 simply because it's in the middle so great access to everything and the Apres ski is the best. Although Val Thorens is a very close second!

http://alpineethos.co.uk/meribel_chalets.html

Can't recommend this company highly enough. We've stayed in some absolute horror shows in the French Alps over the years, but these guys were awesome. Really couldn't do enough to help us.

Bumping this thread as I'm currently stuck in Chambery which has to be the world's worst airport.

The issue is the airport is so small that they're not able to land/park many planes, and of course all the airlines cram as many flights in as they can which just leads to lots of delays.

So anyone looking at booking a ski/snowboard holiday in France, steer clear of Chambery.

Soldato
Bumping this thread as I'm currently stuck in Chambery which has to be the world's worst airport.

The issue is the airport is so small that they're not able to land/park many planes, and of course all the airlines cram as many flights in as they can which just leads to lots of delays.

So anyone looking at booking a ski/snowboard holiday in France, steer clear of Chambery.

I don’t envy you, it’s terrible! Are you trying to get on a plane back to the UK?

Soldato
How was the actual snow, though ?

Chambery itself is a good destination for ski mountaineering, spent several days their (drove) main recollection was the giant tartiflettes we made.

Caporegime

Why would you necro a thread from 2016/2017 when there is a far more recent snow sports thread? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/snow-sports-thread-20-21.18901103/

Last edited:
Soldato
Approaching our last day in Norefjell. Absolutely love Norway and the hotel has been brilliant for the family. Ski area isn’t the biggest but it’s got enough. Expectations had to be seriously managed about the amount of actual skiing with young kids anyway.

Would highly recommend though!

Back
Top Bottom