Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Soldato
If a gay bar refused me service because I was heterosexual I would honestly move on. Not sue, them and force my heterosexuality down their throats.

Wouldn't reach far down :p.

Has there ever been a recorded case of discrimination against hetrosexuals(because of their sexuality)?

Caporegime
OP
great outcome, if those are your beliefs. then don't have a job where you feel you need to discriminate.
Same reasons churches shouldn't have a right to choose if they provide gay marriage. either provide marriage services or don't.
no ones forcing you to go against your beliefs.

So should a printer who currently refuses to print leaflets for the EDL now have to print leaflets for a hypothetical 'EDL gay division' for their anti homophobia campaign against Islam?

I mean it is a political campaign 'inextricably linked' to the sexuality of the client.

It seems these bakers would have been free to turn down other political messages that conflicted with their beliefs had they chosen to but because this political message was linked to homosexuality then it becomes protected????

Permabanned
So should a printer who currently refuses to print leaflets for the EDL now have to print leaflets for a hypothetical 'EDL gay division' for their anti homophobia campaign against Islam?

I mean it is a political campaign 'inextricably linked' to the sexuality of the client.

It seems these bakers would have been free to turn down other political messages that conflicted with their beliefs had they chosen to but because this political message was linked to homosexuality then it becomes protected????

Just curious if you would be ok with any muslim owned business to refuse you because your a non believer or a Christian.

Soldato
Wouldn't reach far down :p.

Has there ever been a recorded case of discrimination against hetrosexuals(because of their sexuality)?

It depends on how content you are with your sexuality.

I am happy that I am heterosexual, which is why if someone takes the **** because I'm heterosexual I honestly wouldn't care if someone discriminated against me. I mean straight people don't need straight pride festivals to make us happy now do they?

I believe when a person is homosexual and they're not content with it, is when discrimination gets felt a lot more. It's the externalisation of an internal conflict.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just curious if you would be ok with any muslim owned business to refuse you because your a non believer or a Christian.

nope I wouldn't

and likewise I wouldn't be happy with them refusing someone because they're gay

I'm not quite sure what your point is - are you trying to attack a position I'm not even arguing for?

Permabanned
I mean straight people don't need straight pride festivals do we?

Gay pride was not born to celebrate being gay.

It evolved out of a need as human beings to break free of oppression and to exist without being criminalized, pathologized or persecuted.

Instead of wondering why there isn't a straight pride ...be grateful you have never needed one.

Soldato

It evolved out of a need as human beings to break free of oppression and to exist without being criminalized, pathologized or persecuted.

Instead of wondering why there isn't a straight pride ...be grateful you have never needed one.

But it's not criminal now is it? Are you saying gay pride festivals used to happen when it was still illegal?

Or did they just keep on having sex in private without advertising it to the whole world, just like most heterosexual people who aren't on a mission to heterosexualise the world.

Why does any sort of sexuality need to be exhibited? And why do some homosexualists feel that their sexuality needs to be exhibited more?

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on how content you are with your sexuality.

I am happy that I am heterosexual, which is why if someone takes the **** because I'm heterosexual I honestly wouldn't care if someone discriminated against me. I mean straight people don't need straight pride festivals to make us happy now do they?

I believe when a person is homosexual and they're not content with it, is when discrimination gets felt a lot more. It's the externalisation of an internal conflict.

By content you mean not satisfied with being homosexual? As in they're looking for more homosexuality? :confused:

There's always going to be people more sensitive than others but that doesn't detract from the bakers discriminating against them due to their sexuality.

If heterosexuality had been viewed as against Christianity and they refused to bake a cake promoting heterosexuality then inevitably someone would take offense and sue them.

V F

V F

Soldato

A little piece of power at a time. It is always how it begins.

Permabanned
Why does any sort of sexuality need to be exhibited? And why do some homosexualists feel that their sexuality needs to be exhibited more?

As a gay man.... I've never wanted to exhibit my sexuality. In fact I keep most things private. However... Its clear to me why pride is needed.

it's the little things i see in straight couples that I become very jealous of that I can't do. When you are walking down the street holding hands with your partner.... Do you have to look around and check the neighbourhood, for any groups of people that might not like it. When someone is walking towards you..do you have to decide to let your partners hand go as the hassle you may get from the person is just not worth it.

I'm not for public displays of affection, but sometimes a peck on the cheek or quick kiss on the lips, as a hello or goodbye that I see most straight couples do.... Would I dare do that in my city.... Again... I need to check my surroundings.... Which city I'm in and which people are around me.... Just in case I get abused hurled toward me. I'd then get weird looks.

To be honest.... It's quite sad that I can't do any of this with my partner. I've held my partners hand once.... And heard some snide comments and had abuse for it. In the end... It's just not worth it and so I don't do it.

It's these little things that we can't do that takes away the romanticness of a relationship. There can be no 'in the moment' because we always have to be careful about where we are'.

Wife been away for a month on business and just want to grab her and kiss her the moment you see her?
Your wife just bought you a gift and your so happy you want a quick kiss?
Got that promotion and your wife is soo happy for you she just hugs you on the spot....
Your favourite song comes on and you want to dance with your partner?

I'd love to be able to do things like that
That's why pride is needed

Last edited:
Soldato
:confused: Are you really saying it's saddening that people are OK with gay people? really?

You mean society has evolved to a point where people don't care about other people's sexual practices and it's done in private bedrooms/kitchens/dungeons/whatever.

Or are you saying everybody's sexual practices need to be constantly publicised in order for society to improve?

"I'm about to have a ****", does that make you feel better knowing I'm a ****er?

Me saying I'm about to have a **** is EXACTLY the same thing as Stacy saying she's about to suck off Brian, which is EXACTLY the same thing as Richard saying he's about to bone Tim.

I don't want to hear any of it, but just because Richard and Tim are gay they suddenly have a right to be offended?

What? No, that's exactly the opposite of what I was saying. I write in sentences, try reading, and quoti NJ g the whole sentence. Rather than editing it to twist what in saying. This is OcUK, not the Mail.

This isn't about sex, it's about discrimination. They didn't have sex on the counter, they ordered a cake.

Straight people don't have to hide who they are in a relationship with. I wasn't refused service for my straight wedding cake, I never had abuse for holding my wife's hand in the street. But this happens to gay men and women.

Soldato
To be honest.... It's quite sad that I can't do any of this with my partner. I've held my partners hand once.... And heard some snide comments and had abuse for it. In the end... It's just not worth it.

It's sad that there are so many idiots out there who can't just see it for what it is - two people showing each other affection. Sorry you feel that way. :(

I usually think "good for them" when I see stuff like that. There is a threshold where PDA regardless of sexuality makes me want to vomit, however - as in, get a room level. :p

Soldato
To be honest.... It's quite sad that I can't do any of this with my partner. I've held my partners hand once.... And heard some snide comments and had abuse for it. In the end... It's just not worth it.

Thats really sad that there are people who actually care enough to say anything :(.

I only ever remember seeing one gay couple in my life (on the street) and never even thought to give them a second glance let alone say anything :confused:. I don't understand why anyone else would feel the need to get involved it's hardly like you've done anything to them.

Maybe having a few gay friends numbs me to the horrors of homosexual couples living their lives out in the open :eek:.

Soldato
Do you have to look around and check the neighbourhood, for any groups of people that might not like it.

Trust me, it's not just you. There will always be people who will hate on your sex life. I could get stabbed or shot if I'm seen holding hands with the wrong girl. I've witnessed someone get sliced up with a machete because he was seen holding hands with a girl.

As for holding hands and kissing. I think that's just immature. Even for a straight couple.

Caporegime
Should we really be expecting minority groups to have to shop around to find businesses willing to serve them? Is that the best we can achieve? Segregation?

But that's the thing. This ruling apparently doesn't mean all businesses must serve them, just that they have to be careful not to give a reason for declining them. So what's it achieved?

I can't see any progress has been made here, whatever you define progress to be.

It effectively means you just have to lie or keep schtum if you don't want to serve someone, in a specific way (we all know they wouldn't have been refused a plain old cake).

Man of Honour
Should we really be expecting minority groups to have to shop around to find businesses willing to serve them? Is that the best we can achieve? Segregation?

That's irrelevant to this case because the bakery was and is willing to serve homosexuals. They're not discriminating against homosexuals. They don't care if a customer is homosexual or not. This has been repeated many times.

Making false statements about the bakery in order to smear them implies that the people doing so don't have any reasonable counter-argument to the bakery's position.

I'm not comfortable with people being forced to publically and actively promote any specific legal/political/social position simply because there's enough power behind it. That's the issue here - the owners of the bakery didn't want to have their business actively promote a specific legal position. They weren't even speaking against that position. They just didn't want to play an active role in promoting it. So now there's legal precedent that everyone must publically and actively promote any legal/political/social position that has enough power behind it. Are you sure that's an entirely good thing?

Incidentally, why do you specify minority? I know it's fashionable to rationalise irrational prejudice against people by saying they're not a minority (even if they are and in any case it's obviously irrelevant), but perhaps that's not what you meant.

Back
Top Bottom