Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Soldato
I don't think they should be forced to sell a cake promoting a political/religious view that they don't agree with.

They would have served them without issue if it didn't have the specific message on the cake so you can't claim they are refusing to serve them because of their sexuality.

No. They refused because they disagree with homosexuality, not because of the message.

Refusing to make a gay wedding cake is discriminatory - how is it equitable that hetero couples can get a service that homosexual couples can't?

Soldato
Kids driving cars is clearly a fantasy scene. What a pathetic comparison!

I hope you're forced to produce pro trump propaganda, then we'll see what you think about having to do things you don't agree with! :p

Isn't gay marriage in Northern Ireland a fantasy too?

And talking of 'pathetic' comparisons - aren't you the guy asking about pork from a Muslim butcher?

Man of Honour
They have a right to their religious beliefs, which have been trumped in this instance.

what utter rubbish. Nothing has been trumped. they are still free to believe what they want. it in no way infringes on their rights.
don't want to make a gay cake, don't run a cake shop.

nice to see bigoted views are doing so well in the public. :rolleyes:

it was a great out come, and may we continue to moving in the right direction.

Associate
I don't get why Christians are all anti-gay claiming it's what the Bible teaches, when it says that in the Old Testament which contains other commandments they ignore, like eating pork.
Leviticus 11:
"Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; 5 the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; 6 the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; 7 and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you."

They also reject other parts about stoning people since they say Jesus revoked those laws with a "new covenant", but for some reason they cling to the "you shall not lie with a man" law.

Soldato
I bet a muslim butcher wouldn't serve him pork.

And I bet he wouldn't go to a muslim butcher demanding pork.

Did you read the judgement? It's a little more nuanced than this thread would suggest.

There isn't a history of people being discriminated against and persecuted in Northern Ireland for not eating pork.

Associate
This will backfire badly on the gays, it's not a good result for them, the gaystapo hasn't done less militant gays any favours at all.

Man of Honour
Exactly. These bakers don't sell cakes condoning gay marriage.

They've at no point refused to serve gay men.

they do make custom cakes, they did exactly that refuse to make a gay referenced cake.

don't do a job where you force yourself to break the law. no ones forcing them to take custom orders or to do that job.

same as the b&b couple. if you want to stick to your beliefs don't have that job.

Caporegime
What religious belief is trumped by making a gay wedding cake?
what utter rubbish. Nothing has been trumped. they are still free to believe what they want. it in no way infringes on their rights.
don't want to make a gay cake, don't run a cake shop.
They believe that gay marriage is wrong :confused:.

That you disagree with that is fine.

nice to see bigoted views are doing so well in the public. :rolleyes:
Calm down, Betty.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They believe that gay marriage is wrong :confused:.

Do I really need to point that out?

no, but that is irrelevant.
again how is their religious belief trumped.

no one even the court has said they cant belief that in private. they just cant take it to work, so change jobs.

so no their beliefs in no way were trumped and it was absolutely the right outcome.

perfectly calm, its amazing how backwards many of you are though.

Caporegime
You don't seem very calm, you've been so fast to leap to a conclusion about what it is you think I believe.

You do type so quickly that you rarely manage a post without a mistake though; I wonder if you speak like that as well?

Caporegime
When I heard about this on the radio I was thinking that they shouldn't have been prosecuted/fined/etc for politely refusing to make a cake which carries a message that goes against their beliefs, even if those beliefs seem wrong to many of us, they are still theirs to hold.

They mentioned that they have served the person before and would happily do so again. There is a difference between discrimination and not doing something which goes against what you believe in.

Though you could argue that they still shouldn't have refused, because making a cake carrying a message doesn't mean that you believe in it. A bit like baking a cake bearing the emblem of a sporting team doesn't mean that you support them.

I can see both sides.

In either case I personally feel that it has been blown out of proportion. But maybe thats just me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom