Where do I start with Battlestar Galactica?

Permabanned
So I'm sick as a pike and want to use the time recovering in bed to catch up with some shows.

People are constantly telling me how good this show is, but aren't there like 2 or 3 iterations? Where on earth should I start??

Man of Honour
If you want to watch the new one, I wouldn't bother with the old one. It's a true reboot - lots of the characters and the main themes remain, but it's quite different, including the gender of at least one of the main characters :p

For the new series then, you should begin with the "Mini Series", sometimes described as series 0 or the pilot. It is a pretty essential pre-amble to the main series. If you don't watch it, you will be dropped right in to a narrative that will take you a little while to understand, time better spent enjoying the show for what it is instead of trying to work out what happened in the run up to the events of the main series. In my eyes, the mini series is really just the "main series", but they released it separately before running Series 1. It's not something that can be skipped in my opinion.

Aside from the mini series and the main show, forget all other shows like Caprica and Blood and Chrome. Those add to the main show, and wouldn't work well without having already seen Battlestar Galactica major.

:edit: TL;DR, Watch this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(miniseries)

Then this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(2004_TV_series)

Permabanned
OP
Awesome dude! Thanks for that!

I think it's still available on Amazon Prime TV at the moment so I'll be sure to report back next week with my thoughts.

Soldato
Zefan has already said what I was going to, don't skip the pilot/mini series, it's absolutely essential.

I gave up on BSG first time around as I watched the first episode after the mini series and had no clue what as going on.

Since then i've rewatched this series in it's entirety 3 times, only second to Babylon 5 in my favourite sci fi shows ever.

Man of Honour
Came back to say, the show is as good as people say, and also as exhausting as people say. I've watched it twice, and it's been a tiring watch at times but also delivered many of my top TV/movie moments of all time. I won't say any more as it will spoil it, but people who have seen the series will know the bit I mean. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

Soldato
So I'm sick as a pike and want to use the time recovering in bed to catch up with some shows.

People are constantly telling me how good this show is, but aren't there like 2 or 3 iterations? Where on earth should I start??

If you like dreary, depressing TV shows then I highly recommend the latest BSG.
The original early seasons were good, but campy. When they arrive at their destination that is when BSG became awful.

I tried to get into it, but with similar depressing concept like SG Universe it just drags.

Man of Honour
TBH only the mini series and the first season is really that good - the rest (some exceptions aside) you just keep watching hoping it recaptures that.

Soldato
Two words: Pegasus and the 'drop'

The entire Pegasus plot is crazy good, and the orbit drop is badass.

The show was awesome, still one of the best. I know people love to bash it: 'too slow' 'too random' 'too much boxing' 'the reveals were crap' 'ending made no sense' 'starbuck' 'Agathon turned into a right bitch' etc etc but all that aside it holds a very special place in my heart.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Two words: Pegasus and the 'drop'

The entire Pegasus plot is crazy good, and the orbit drop is badass.

The show was awesome, still one of the best. I know people love to bash it: 'too slow' 'too random' 'too much boxing' 'the reveals were crap' 'ending made no sense' 'starbuck' 'Agathon turned into a right bitch' etc etc but all that aside it holds a very special place in my heart.

Oh man, the boxing episode is brilliant.

Commissario
I tried this a few years ago. The mini-series was great but when I moved to the next part, I got bored quite quickly. It took a religious/philosophical and almost spiritual path that I really didn't enjoy. I never finished it.

Soldato
Maybe keep the direction the show goes out of this thread as it is a 'where do I start thread'. I realise nothing particularly spoilery has been said but the general 'path' the show goes has been described and i'm sure its better for a first time viewer to uncover it all themselves :)

Have seen it through twice now, the very first time I was told to watch it by a friend he just directed me to Ep 1 Season 1 and I got bored within about 2 eps as didn't know what was going on. He in fact had watched the whole series without seeing the mini-series and didn't realise. Once I uncovered the mini-series a couple of years later I binged the entire thing and again another couple of years later. Maybe not the greatest overall but it has some of the greatest moments and attachment to certain characters I have felt.

Back
Top Bottom