Where do I start with Battlestar Galactica?

Soldato
Would reccommend The Expanse (first series is on Netflix) to any BSG fans looking for some industrial sci-fi with political overtones.

I just got onto episode 8 of this last night and it's finally getting going. It has such a slow build with not much going on but I can see it's really paying off now i'm nearly at the end of the season.

There's always one

What if I said i'm not joking, not even a little bit ;)

Caporegime
I swear lll rewatch this because 1st time round it started to bore my socks off.
Way too religeony and gulf war 2 jihad nonsense, that only makes sense to me.

Did they ever meet any old school " by your command" cylons?

Well, yeah, if you've no time for religion then BSG is definitely not for you.

Caporegime
Original Apollo has just died :(

Had no idea he played Zarek in the remake!

Might have to start prepping for 3rd watch of all recent episodes/films :D.

Soldato
Really enjoyed mini -series + Series 1 but after that I gave up (even though I bought the 5 series on BR box set years ago) - it just got very tedious from what I remember

(I remember watching the original BSG when I was a lot younger and still cant "connect" fully with the sex change in the reboot :) )

Soldato
It's an amazing series, IMO one of the best ever, it was so good it got my wife interested who hates anything fantasy/sci-fi.

There are so many subtler themes and deep meanings running through the show that watching it as just plain stand and bang you probably would be disappointed but if you want something with some real depth then this is an amazing show.

Man of Honour
It's an amazing series, IMO one of the best ever, it was so good it got my wife interested who hates anything fantasy/sci-fi.

There are so many subtler themes and deep meanings running through the show that watching it as just plain stand and bang you probably would be disappointed but if you want something with some real depth then this is an amazing show.

I actually recommend watching season 4 upto the season break then watching the Caprica series even though its not the best ever or entirely connected - but it does better reveal some of the more subtle themes and depth in the remainder of season 4 that are easy to miss otherwise.

Caporegime
I thought I'd give this a shot despite not being a massive sci-fi fan, blu ray box set was available for £25 on Amazon so worth a punt.

So far I've watched the mini series and season 1 and really enjoying it so far.

Not many issues with the plot or acting, I do have some things that were mildly irritating and this is perhaps me just being a bit pedantic/nit picking...

they were doing the jumps initially to get away from the Cylons (we later discover that this was because one of the civvie ships was being tracked) - the very minor but slightly annoying point that bugged me was that they let the civvie ships jump, then a few seconds later they jump, then an order is given to start the clock... so we've introduced some random delays in our timing process yet the Cylons appear at exactly 33 mins - yes it is pedantic...

it was a bit odd that they took 200+ jumps to consider things like splitting the fleet, jumping to diff locations then re-grouping

now the slightly less nit picking ones:

this is supposed to be a bit like an aircraft carrier yet the main officers are pretty much all pilots or ex pilots in the case of the commander and XO - there is like one main cast member who is an officer and not a pilot - the technical guy who helps Dr Baltar...

when they need to interrogate a Cylon they don't send over an intelligence officer or NCO... they send a pilot!

when they need to provide security for their new parliament thing - the people in charge of providing it aren't say the marine corporal we've met briefly before, someone with comprehensive small arms training, but two pilots (Apollo and Starbuck)??? Though we do see the marines wandering about aimlessly a bit.

oh and they later have a bit of a party on board that luxury civvie ship - who is in attendance, together on the same unarmed ship: The President, the commander, the XO, Apollo - the head pilot/CAG, Starbuck - their best pilot - this is when they're in a scenario where these cyborgs could pop up at any moment and all the most important people are together on the same unarmed ship, leaving god knows who in charge of Galactica and any decision to launch alert fighters, jump etc. etc.. should Cylons appear.

it does seem the ships are all a bit too close together - then again I guess this is TV

likewise this goes for the dogfighting too - these days fast jets will engage each other over the horizon so I'd have expected spaceships could engage with each other before coming into visual range... granted that would be less exciting so we're going to suspend belief and pretend that weapons technology hasn't progressed since WW2 and they have to blast each other at close range with the equivalent of unguided machine guns that they crudely aim by moving their ship - then again I guess it is TV etc..

they discover a new planet and want to send people down to explore - do they send the marines they have on board... you know the ones with infantry training etc.. nope they send the 'chief' and his engineering crew to accompany Dr Baltar all lead by... yup a pilot! They do throw in a bit of realism whereby the young officer/pilot is a bit clueless after the accident and the senior NCO, the 'chief' needs to strongly advise him

don't get me wrong I love the series and it is the plot/acting that I'm most interested in - but things like this do take a little away from the realism(yes I fully appreciate it is sci-fi)

edit - oh and lastly, that captured Cylon vessel with the dead Cylon fleshy stuff inside - surely if that dead Cylon-thing was pulling the levers etc.. and she's got that figured out then they could clear all that flesh/gunk out of there now?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Re: the crew. You have to remember that they were down to an absolute skeleton crew for the ship's sendoff and the tribute to Adama, with a shed load of pilots on there for the display for him. They weren't properly crewed for actual work. That might go some way to excusing it.

Caporegime
though they seem to have got a Sgt and a Cpl plus they sent a bunch of marines on the rescue...

now into the second series - I really hope this doesn't turn into the walking dead

still enjoying it and thought the initial mini series was excellent - not sure I'd put it in the same league as the likes of the wire though

Soldato
though they seem to have got a Sgt and a Cpl plus they sent a bunch of marines on the rescue...
now into the second series - I really hope this doesn't turn into the walking dead
still enjoying it and thought the initial mini series was excellent - not sure I'd put it in the same league as the likes of the wire though

That season one ending though!
I love that ending.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Re: the crew. You have to remember that they were down to an absolute skeleton crew for the ship's sendoff and the tribute to Adama, with a shed load of pilots on there for the display for him. They weren't properly crewed for actual work. That might go some way to excusing it.

That's exactly it, it was a ceremonial crew, the Galactica was being turned into a museum, it was never meant to go back into service so the crew they have on board is just the ceremonial crew. They were lucky that key crew menbers like the Chief were there at all.

Caporegime
that doesn't explain it unfortunately - there is a marine Sgt, a marine Cpl and a bunch of other marines on board

easily enough to have taken the place of the crew that went down to the planet and perhaps better placed than the two key pilots who played bodyguard

Soldato
Bit of a throwback but ..

I finally managed to re-watch the entire series and films after giving up on it over a decade ago after a few episodes in to season 2. I'm glad I did; aside from some filler episodes here and there, the final season (4) was fantastic. Surprisingly dark and the series finale actually provided closure while leaving some aspects ambiguous for further discussion.

I know I'm extraordinarily late to the show but it is a must see for any sci-fi fans out there.

Man of Honour
I thought season 4 was quite poor compared to the rest.

Yeah I found that - however if you've not watched the show before I still recommend pausing season 4 after episode 10 (Revelations) and then watching Caprica before resuming season 4 - while Caprica wasn't that great it helps to flesh out the second half of season 4 when you understand a bit of the background better and helps to make it feel a bit less shallow, etc.

Back
Top Bottom