Snow Sports 2016/17

Caporegime
mid_gen;30460880 said:
Not sure I'll bother with the alps any more tbh. Next year I'm either going cheap or going somewhere with better snow. It's expensive, the snow is increasingly crap, and it's too busy. Even with the poor conditions you were looking at 30 minutes between runs with the queues.

I'm either gonna go to Kopaonik in Serbia again (insanely cheap, good snow, but a bit of a trek on the transfer). Or just suck up the airfare and jetlag and go to Niseko again (expensive, but amazing snow, great food, onsens, and nearly empty slopes with no queues).

Snow is always a game of luck. The alps have many smaller quieter cheaper places, even in Switzerland I now plenty of great ski destination that are a fraction of the cost of standard French resorts.

Caporegime
beh;30477305 said:
It's speculation whether a helmet would have saved her given that information is scarce. Anyway, anecdotes aren't sufficient.

Certainly don't think it couldn't happen to me. Someone collided with me today even and my goggles and beanie were scattered.

Aye Amp34, scariest run of the day always at the end, everyone is tired, focus is elsewhere, hitting the same bottlenecks en masse which are cut up and scraped.

I typically hang back and wait for the slopes to empty at the end, grab one of my stashed beers and unwind watching the sun lower. Then you can straight line it back to the bottom!

Caporegime
beh;30477465 said:
Genuinely, I would love to be convinced because it would make it an easy decision. My reasons for not owning one aren't great, the expense to buy/hire, uncomfortable and frequently too warm to wear, and they're a bulky item to have in luggage. Maybe more modern helmets solve some of these issues?

How fast do you ski? Given the testing standards they don't seem to be intended for typical speeds. Is it a false sense of security that will lead to more risks being taken?

As with cycle helmets it's a interesting subject for research, although I do wear one as they're far less intrusive/inconvenient.

Plenty of existent research, bottom line is helmets save lives.

And IMO, its is a lot of the innocuous situation where helmets help a lot. Number of people I have seen bashed on the head by a chairlift or retracting t-bar etc. that would be fine with a helmet but had to go to hospital/airlifted out, slipped on ice in the car park due to hard ski boots, lost control on some hard ice even at very slow speeds.

But the helmets are designed to give protection all way up to Downhill racers going 85MPH.

Soldato
I can't believe I used to ski without one. I got mine 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Most helmets have vents in them to aid airflow. In my opinion there is no reasonable excuse not to have one. I probably need to get a new one actually considering its age.

beh

beh

Associate
D.P.;30483659 said:
even in Switzerland I now plenty of great ski destination that are a fraction of the cost of standard French resorts.
Do tell, "fraction of the cost" and "Switzerland" don't usually go in the same sentence. Bit underwhelmed by Saas-fee currently, although possibly just needing a clear sunny day.
D.P.;30483699 said:
Plenty of existent research, bottom line is helmets save lives.

And IMO, its is a lot of the innocuous situation where helmets help a lot. Number of people I have seen bashed on the head by a chairlift or retracting t-bar etc. that would be fine with a helmet but had to go to hospital/airlifted out, slipped on ice in the car park due to hard ski boots, lost control on some hard ice even at very slow speeds.
Aye, got a black eye from a t bar in Scotland years ago, people blocking the unloading area.

Will have a look for next time, as much that I'm starting to feel self conscious that everyone seems to be wearing them these days.

I take it that everyone wears back protection too ...

Caporegime
beh;30483858 said:
Do tell, "fraction of the cost" and "Switzerland" don't usually go in the same sentence. Bit underwhelmed by Saas-fee currently, although possibly just needing a clear sunny day.

Aye, got a black eye from a t bar in Scotland years ago, people blocking the unloading area.

Will have a look for next time, as much that I'm starting to feel self conscious that everyone seems to be wearing them these days.

I take it that everyone wears back protection too ...

Pull up a map of Switzerland and look for any small mountain village with lifts. Places like Arolla I would be paying about 70CHF a night for a nice hotel, 30-40CHF for a day pass, dinner around 20-25.

http://www.arolla.com/kurhaus/tarif/index-en.php
e.g., I have stayed here before. The basic room with B&B in low season for 52CHF (+ 5-10% reduction for 7 days). Low season is quite extensive. So like 40 quid a night, of course before Brexit that was a lot cheaper.

http://www.arolla.com/new/remontees.php
You get a 6 day lift pass for 106CHF in January. But TBH I would combine Arolla with nearby Evolene in a single trip, ro go the next valley over to St Luc/Grimentz/Zinal etc.

Of course if you want 400km of immaculately groomed pistes then you are best heading to a French mega resort and staying in a 1960s concrete shoebox. I tend to choose my ski destinations by the quality of the terrain, the off-piste potential, crowd sizes, etc. 2-3 well placed lifts can give access to huge power field and gnarly terrain without any competition or fresh lines. Some of the terrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcqH0yvAqw

Caporegime
Something else to consider is a hostel in Switzerland is better than most hotels in eastern Europe. Some of them have their own hot tubs, steam rooms etc Decent food. If you have a few mates you book out one for the 4 bed rooms etc. That way you can stay in some of the best Swiss ski resorts for peanuts.

beh

beh

Associate
Small/quiet resorts are indeed great, queueing is the antithesis of being in the mountains. Did a season at a place with only 4 chairlifts (Sainte-Foy). Arolla looks cool, if a bit extreme for me. Zinal/Grimentz looks promising.

I'm quite keen on hostels in the UK. Certainly tempting to organise things myself after going the lazy tour operator route and then wondering what I'm actually paying them for (overly long transfers, lift passes and hire at poor exchange rates).

Soldato
There are some very well kitted out ski refuges in France/Chamonix if you want to try ski mountaineering, stayed at the conscrit refuge a few years back - great catering,comfort french food.
I am a bit puritanical(British?) and staying somewhere with steam rooms/hot tubs - this is a bit like glamping :D

injecting some factual info on helmet debate
here

“The helmet does a very good job at protecting against skull lacerations and skull fractures, but it doesn’t seem to have much effect on concussions or T.B.I.’s,” Shealy said, referring to traumatic brain injuries. “Our guess is that this is due to the fact that those injuries are occurring at such a high magnitude of energy that they overwhelm what a helmet can do for you.”

Was not using a helmet even for descents on ski-mountaineering, on balance I would probably get one now, but think it would be giving a false sense of security, danger would be more likely from a fatal spinal injury, or as the article suggest exceed energy capabilities of a helmet.
Also, have not had any skiing incidents where I think it would help, unlike cycling or climbing (for which I think you are less master of your own destiny, with possibilities of car/bike collision or rock fall, or just banging your head)

Soldato
Maybe I need to look at some smaller places. I've been to Mayrhofen and Morzine/Avoriaz and both times the snow has been crap, it's been expensive and you have to queue for lifts.

Done Niseko twice and it's been fresh powder bliss every day and nearly empty slopes. Is there anywhere in the alps that can offer that? I don't think the climate allows it.

I just feel like the alps are the worst option these days.

I've actually got a few places within 2 hours drive I can go to, may have a look at a cheeky midweek trip there to see what they're like.

Associate
Possibly a dumb question, but maybe Amp34 can confirm?

What is the North America/Canadian ski season?

Having had a quick look at the Canadian season it appears to start last week in November through to May. How good, or bad are conditions at both the start and end of this period?

I suppose the real question is, when are the best times to consider a skiing trip to Canada?

Thanks

Caporegime
beh;30477465 said:
Genuinely, I would love to be convinced because it would make it an easy decision. My reasons for not owning one aren't great, the expense to buy/hire, uncomfortable and frequently too warm to wear, and they're a bulky item to have in luggage. Maybe more modern helmets solve some of these issues?

How fast do you ski? Given the testing standards they don't seem to be intended for typical speeds. Is it a false sense of security that will lead to more risks being taken?

As with cycle helmets it's a interesting subject for research, although I do wear one as they're far less intrusive/inconvenient.

Agreed, they can be rather a pain when it's warm, even those that are vented, but at the same time I just feel naked not wearing one now! You can buy a new helmet for £60 so cost isn't really something you should consider.

That said you're right about helmets not being the be all and end all, for example look at Schumacher and what happened to him. A good example of what can happen if you fall (into a rock) going fast. That said bike helmets are proven to help with head injuries - just not so much on the road due to motorists. It's also one of the first things a ski patroller will ask and note down - whether the person had a helmet.

I have to say, that is one of the things I don't miss about skiing in europe. There just isn't the same "get to the bottom down a thin cat track with 5 bajillion other people" issues at any of the resorts I've been to here. They either have nice wide slopes, or just aren't as many people on the mountain.

jpaul;30478292 said:
Interesting point here I had not considered

but they are selling insurance too;
otherwise the stats they give are unsubstantiated in article, and lack detail.

some more genuine stats etc. the survey's they have done ask the injured parties if they have had alcohol/other recently :p breath testing on its way ?
For snow boarders wrist protectors+helmet seem recommended.

Lesson I have learned, with own ski's, is not to skimp on edge maintenance, after a few icey encounters in Brevant/G.Montets - accident prevention is better ...

Drugs/alcohol are also high up on the list of questions to ask/answer and will be asked in most instances if you are helped by a patroller. It's all to do with understanding the patient condition and the cause of accident/nature of injury(s). For example changes in vital signs - if the patient hasn't been drinking and wasn't wearing a helmet the confusing and memory loss may be more likely related to concussion or other serious brain injury; whereas if the patient stank of booze, fell over in soft snow and was wearing a helmet the same symptoms are probably more likely alcohol, rather than injury related.

Interesting stats!

Caporegime
izzop;30488657 said:
Possibly a dumb question, but maybe Amp34 can confirm?

What is the North America/Canadian ski season?

Having had a quick look at the Canadian season it appears to start last week in November through to May. How good, or bad are conditions at both the start and end of this period?

I suppose the real question is, when are the best times to consider a skiing trip to Canada?

Thanks

It really depends on the resort (and the seasons weather) but that timing seems about right. Somewhere like Lake Louise and Sunshine open earlier than most as they are higher and cooler. They both opened the beginning to mid November this season. Nakiska and Norquay, which are in the Banff area as well, opened in December but didn't have much of the hills open until almost new year due in part to being lower.

Early season skiing can be a bit rocky, but the piste stuff is fine - they have a lot of snow making at all the resorts around here to top up the pistes early in the season. I skied at the end of Nov in Lake Louise and it was nice. All the proper pistes were open, but some weren't groomed due to snow depth. The last few double diamonds opened in LL only recently though, but their opening very much depends on a multitude of factors as they are sketchy all year round.

As for late season, last year it was pretty bad as we had a very warm spring so April was hot. I don't think we did any skiing after March because the conditions were pretty poor. This winter has been cold so far, so we may have a late spring, or we may not! I think half the days I've skied this season have at least started below -20, and about a quarter haven't gone above -20! Bring your balaclava:p That said there have also had days when it's been around 0, and the later in the season the less likely you'll get extreme cold.

Ideally you want to aim for around nowish I guess - conditions are great, but that's partly down to new snow, but earlier and later probably aren't going to be bad, depending on what you want to do and where you want to go.

That said I've only had one full season here, so others may be able to give more historical information on it!

Associate
Many thanks for the reply and info Amp34, much appreciate it.

The reason for asking was due to seeing the following road trip itinerary: -

The Powder Trail

I appreciate the temps, well... maybe not :p Those aside are there plenty of clear days around this time of year?

These, regardless of the temp can make a big difference.

Soldato
Just back from a fabulous week skiing in Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Stayed at the Alpinresort Sport and Spa. Looks like it's warming up over the next week so glad we had the conditions we had which were excellent (just 1 day of snow which was needed & poor visibility). Roll on next season :cool::)

Soldato
Was intrigued by Bradley Wiggins apparently fracturing leg following skiing incident on this UK reality tv show The jump, with previous incident of gymnast Beth Twaddle (vertabrae fracture, was it)
this has to be a fairly unique reality show ?

are these 'athletes' naive with respect to physical preparations for a sport different to their native one ? is the lure of the money too compelling.
Although they are notionally doing ski jumping, the shock/twisting forces, muscles empoyed cannot be too different to ski ?,
and, although some sports eg cycling are open to the weekend warrior approach, I do not categorise skiing as the same,
some gym work or appropriate exercises are needed before re-joining the slopes.

Soldato
Just got back from Tignes on Saturday. The Tignes news is saying it was the Toviere area.

There was plenty of work being done with avalanche clearance while we were there with avalanche charges going off regularly for the first 3 days, after that there wasn't any snowfall.

Only our first holiday so we didn't do much off piste while we were there but we did regularly see plenty of people off piste in the Toviere area, and didn't see any signs of small slides at all.

EDIT: This site seems to show the area with the avalanche.

https://www.tignesnet.com/news/four-dead-in-tignes-avalanche-tignes-region-705798

Back
Top Bottom