• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
The thread is just full of hope and zero substance!!!!!!!!! Don't understand anyone even typing in it till they see exactly whats going on.
Leaked benchmarks are substantive, even if you think they aren't real. All the ones we have that are reasonably credible (i.e. aren't some random person posting on a forum) point in the same direction. That's worthy of discussion, IMO.

Maybe in 10 days we'll find out they're all wrong and Ryzen is crap but that's getting less and less likely.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see Ryzen beating Kaby Lake core for core as the latter with no doubt have the clockspeed advantage for gaming,and probably even an IPC advantage overall. So I would try not to overhype things just in case - even at Haswell level IPC,Ryzen will be still great value for most people and if it has BW-E level IPC overall,then it is going to be even better. After all remember,the core is different from the Intel ones,so might need some time for devs to get the most performance out,which certainly won't be happening at launch,I suspect.

Soldato
The thread is just full of hope and zero substance!!!!!!!!! Don't understand anyone even typing in it till they see exactly whats going on.

I think that that understanding is naive. In the nowadays of the internet and a good competitor to the current sole main CPU provider is on the horizon, there is bound to be interest in any sort of rumour and every leak etc.

Otherwise we can just sit on our hands and be accepting until the NDA is finished. Perhaps a few less KBL CPU's will be sold meantime but heck.

Soldato
Leaked benchmarks are substantive, even if you think they aren't real. All the ones we have that are reasonably credible (i.e. aren't some random person posting on a forum) point in the same direction. That's worthy of discussion, IMO.

Maybe in 10 days we'll find out they're all wrong and Ryzen is crap but that's getting less and less likely.

I think the point to take away is some people's idea of credible is pretty flimsy. These people want the site traffic, they don't care if the information is correct or not.

Soldato

Asrock boards are generally very good these days at the top end. Z170 OC Formula and OCFM are truly great as is X99 Killer M and from Z77 infact all OCF great. Z270 Taichi is great and I know Nick was working on this along time so it will be good. Nicks products are good end of....

As others have said there is plenty of substance. New things getting leaked everyday but I guess you gotta shift those binned kabylakes.

Soldato
I can't see Ryzen beating Kaby Lake core for core as the latter with no doubt have the clockspeed advantage for gaming,and probably even an IPC advantage overall. So I would try not to overhype things just in case - even at Haswell level IPC,Ryzen will be still great value for most people and if it has BW-E level IPC overall,then it is going to be even better. After all remember,the core is different from the Intel ones,so might need some time for devs to get the most performance out,which certainly won't be happening at launch,I suspect.
Yes, Kaby Lake will almost certainly have a clock speed advantage even if Ryzen can match its IPC and beat it in terms of core count per pound.

Associate
Yes, Kaby Lake will almost certainly have a clock speed advantage even if Ryzen can match its IPC and beat it in terms of core count per pound.
it cannot match it, AMD probably did a great job with ryzen, but they still cannot shiet enough rainbows to make it better than a competitor who have better foundry and already in his 3rd refinement of the architecture on 14nm node.
single thread will be between haswell and broadwell, and thats very very optimistic, anything higher is delusional, no offence.

Soldato
it cannot match it, AMD probably did a great job with ryzen, but they still cannot shiet enough rainbows to make it better than a competitor who have better foundry and already in his 3rd refinement of the architecture on 14nm node.
single thread will be between haswell and broadwell, and thats very very optimistic, anything higher is delusional, no offence.
Yes, it's unlikely on the face of it that it will match Kaby Lake IPC. I've said the same thing many times. I'm talking about the leaked benchmarks, that's all. Saying "it cannot match it" when the leaked benchmarks suggest that it can, means you're trusting your own preconceptions more than the results. Since they aren't confirmed yet, I suppose there's nothing wrong with such a stance.

You might thing believing leaked benchmarks is naive but saying the result of a benchmark is delusional is a bit silly.

Soldato

It's a computer discussion forum and you don't understand why people are discussing the imminent release of an important component? Substance and content are not pre-requesites to a discussion taking place.

Associate
I for one will continue to be very excited about the new AMD chips. Reading through all the hype is the most fun I've had on this forum for a while, considering the state of the market these past years. If they turn out to be a flop then so be it, but I'l make sure I enjoyed the run up! Far more enjoyable than the recycled back and forths we see sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom