• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
That 6 core score is great 95 watt too this hype i am finding it difficult to hold on here

So tempted to sell one of my 4790k builds while there still at a good price 2nd hand.... decisions decisions....

Last edited:
Associate
Its a 6 core 12 thread RyZen chip vs a 6 core 12 thread Broadwell chip, the Ryzen chip is slightly ahead, of course the IPC of the Ryzen chip is better. :)

IPC is a little generic, there will be places where RyZen will outperform Broadwell, but in the flip side on others Broadwell will have the upper hand. However from how it's looking in most desktop use cases and a lot of server use cases RyZen will be close to (if not better than) Broadwell clock for clock.

The TDP and the (rumored) pricing will be the icing on the cake, and will really bring the hurt to intel for the next 6-12m. And that's without the APUs available

Soldato
Can't see it being an issue, from the leaks it appears to have really decent single threaded performance, on par with overclocked Intel CPUs of previous tens.

If those previous gen CPUs are still fine, Zen will be fine.

As we move closer towards more multithread stuff Zen will really shine.

Also bear in mind most people still game at 1080p, most CPUs can push decent performance at that Res anyhow.

If anything Zen is the smarter move especially if your on a budget, you basically get double the cores for similar price, and close performance, what's not to like?

Seriously anyone buying Intel now is only doing it for a high clocking i3, i5 or i7 that's going to be better in single threaded stuff but soundly smashed in multithreaded stuff, unless you exclusively use single threaded software there is no point buying Kabylake right now imho.

A question I had was, due to the nature of Ryzens design, it should be possible to update the chip via firmware type updates? If so does anyone think there potentially more performance to be gained with refinement to the firmware over time?

Caporegime
After all the leaks, assuming they are true i can't see not performing well in games, it would have to be performing well in everything but games and i think CAT had a few CPC Game benchmarks posted a couple weeks ago, from what i remember it looked pretty good in those too.

Associate
new leak about asrock and msi mobo line up, MSI seem to have an mATX mobo at launch, also i think asrock pricing is kinda steep though, 400€ for taichi and 470€ for prof gaming...
guess between mobo and ram prices thats enough to cancel Ryzen price value.
DhTM28U.jpg
Source : Videocardz

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Those prices are ridiculous, there's 3 Matx Asrock boards on that list, but the prices are laughable at best

Indeed. Even if they are including the VAT (21% I believe over there) and then adjusting to £ they are ridiculously priced. I thought these motherboards were less complex due to most of the stuff being on the CPU rather than chipset!

Associate
Indeed. Even if they are including the VAT (21% I believe over there) and then adjusting to £ they are ridiculously priced. I thought these motherboards were less complex due to most of the stuff being on the CPU rather than chipset!

Yeah they should be cheaper to design /produce that being said....

Release day pricing for any new / exciting is always over the top. Give it a few weeks and they will be where they should be. As long as they are not more expensive compared to Intels offerings everything should be OK sales wise.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yeah they should be cheaper to design /produce that being said....

Release day pricing for any new / exciting is always over the top. Give it a few weeks and they will be where they should be. As long as they are not more expensive compared to Intels offerings everything should be OK sales wise.

Trouble is, in a few weeks we'll have triggered article 50, and no doubt that will be a great excuse for the £ to tank even more meaning prices will be going up, possibly offsetting any settling of the prices after initial launch :(

Associate
Trouble is, in a few weeks we'll have triggered article 50, and no doubt that will be a great excuse for the £ to tank even more meaning prices will be going up, possibly offsetting any settling of the prices after initial launch :(

Sure but any change to the pounds value will push prices of all components. Both amd and Intel motherboards will get x% more expensive. So really the relative differences between the two will stay the same (after initial price inflation for it being a new product)

I get paid in $ so happy days for me ;)

Caporegime
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK would be £93 adjusted for UK.

MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK
£143

Yup... ridiculous prices :D

Oh.... the Z270 TOMAHAWK looks the same as this, now at least i know how much it costs.... :S

This one....
YNQd_Kc_Q.png

ljt

ljt

Soldato
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK would be £93 adjusted for UK.

MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK
£143

Yup... ridiculous prices :D

Yeah the conversion from the leaks of the US site isn't so bad, but I was referring to the European leaks of the AsRock ones.

Although the AMD Tomahawk seems to have a few less I/O etc than the Intel equivalent

Sure but any change to the pounds value will push prices of all components. Both amd and Intel motherboards will get x% more expensive. So really the relative differences between the two will stay the same (after initial price inflation for it being a new product)

I get paid in $ so happy days for me ;)

Oh I know everything will go up, whichever way you look at it though it means even more expense, and when you're working with a fixed budget it can mean the difference between buying or not!

Soldato
Well the 1600X 6c/12t really wallops the FX8350 at 5GHz in Cinebench (no surprise).

COMMENT=MAXON CINEBENCH is based on the high performance animation and rendering software MAXON CINEMA 4D.
COMMENT=These are your MAXON CINEBENCH R15 results.
COMMENT=
COMMENT=Results Disclaimer - CINEBENCH results are indicative of overall system performance when using CINEMA 4D,
COMMENT=and do not necessarily reflect the performance of the tested hardware with other applications.
COMMENT=Performance of each component (processor, graphics card) does rely somewhat on other components in the system.
COMMENT=Results provided are typical, although not derived from specific testing procedures.
COMMENT=
CORES=4
LOGICALCORES=2
MHZ=5040.000000
PROCESSOR=AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
OPENGLVENDOR=AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OPENGLCARD=AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
OPENGLVERSION=3.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104.0.0
DRIVERVERSION=12.104-130328a-157485C-ATI
CBTYPE=64 Bit
OSVERSION=Windows 7, 64 Bit, Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
CBCPU1=120.618168
CBCPUX=802.536014

CBOPENGL=0.000000
CBOPENGLQUALITY=0.000000
C4DINFO=
C4DVERSION=15.037
C4DBUILDID=RC83328demo

Back
Top Bottom