LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
I'd like to know this too. My house is currently fitted out with GU5.3 fittings and it seems to be difficult to find suitable bulbs. Tempted to see if I can convert them to GU10 fittings (with the help of an electrician), which will also help with adding LightWaveRF.

GU10 is the way to go for sure.

Just be careful with lightwaverf. Ive got my whole house connected up to lightwaverf. It's an excellent system but the lightwaverf dimmers are fussy about LED bulbs, especially gu10's.
You cant just fit any old led bulb as they have problems with buzzing, not turning off etc.
Ive just put some megaman 5.5w gu10's into my bedroom and these work fine.

Soldato
you don't find the megaman 5.5w have a rather narrow beam (35 degrees) and create a patchwork light pattern ?
it is OK for a hall/kitchen/bathroom, but a more homogeneous light is nicer in living-room/bedroom environment imhop.

I am still thinking of getting some of these gu10's 5 Watt 110° GU10 SMD LED
however these are not dimmable.

Caporegime
Instead of creating a new thread. Any ideas for garage lighting? I have some pretty old school tubes but would like something a little brighter. We had a whole new refit at work and the difference between the old lights and the new LED tubes was literally night and day.

Caporegime
JCC Skypack is a cheap and very good batten fitting.

I managed to acquire some iGuzzini Laser Blade units that were left over from an office. The quality of them is beyond anything else I've seen, both physical build and light. Well worth looking at if you're after a high end finish.

Man of Honour
Really impressed with LEDs. Bought some on offer from amazon. Most of our house has spots. Have gone from over 1000W to a fraction of that with a better light quality. Win win tbh.

Soldato
Recently managed to get a lot of LED bulbs for a couple of quid a pop so upgraded my whole house to LED. Mixture of bayonet and e27, warm in living room, bedrooms and hallways and Cool in the kitchen. So much better than the old energy saving rubbish there before.

Really like the Filament style LED bulbs.

Soldato
Hi guys, looking for a bit of help.

My rented flat has about 20 Gu10 spotlights on dimmer switches, which were all halogen when we moved in about a year ago. A combination of being sick of replacing them so often, the energy consumption, and spotting some LEDs at a very good price, I decided to replace them all with these https://www.aldi.co.uk/led-gu10-bulbs-10-pack/p/074572099953400 N.B. not dimmable ones.

Note, I would have done this a lot earlier, and probably with 'higher quality' bulbs if it was my own home (not sure how much longer I'll stay here and no idea if my next place will have spotlights).

Anyway, I have 3 different circuits, each with a dimmer switch. One of the dimmer switches (bedroom) buzzed a little when dimmed when it had halogens, but it was very quiet so never thought much of it.

Now I've replaced them all, the bedroom switch buzzes all the time, and a little louder. However the kitchen switch now buzzes like hell. Really quite loud, and if it's at full brightness the LEDs all flicker really fast. If I roll it off a bit then they are fine, but still a lot of buzzing coming from the switch. There is also the same buzzing at the fusebox. I switched it off at the fusebox and opened up the kitchen switch for a look, but I know enough to know that I can't really do much in there. I've done a bit of rewiring in the past, but it's a very fiddly looking cavity and I cba to be honest, and not really expecting that just rewiring would help anyway.

When I turned it all back on, it still buzzed but not as quiet. And I also noticed that there was a bit of a smell coming from the switch box.

NB the living room switch, which didn't buzz before, still works perfectly.

Can anyone shed any (mind the pun) light? Is it because I've bought cheap bulbs? Is there something wrong with my wiring that an electrician should look at? Or are all gu10 LEDs not suitable for all fixtures?

Soldato
eh - you seem to be saying you are using the dimmer function '... If I roll it off a bit ..' even when you have non-dimmable led bulbs ? that does not work
I have used non-dimmable leds(&ccfl) in a dimmer, but never use the dimmer function and that seems ok.
But depending on the dimmer quality even with dimmer at no-dim point, the dimmer and the non-dimmable leds maybe incompatible and you are 'killing' circuitry in both the dimmer and the bulbs.

If you search for dimmers on OC's you can find dimmer recommendations that are compatible with dimmable led bulbs, but since it is rented property, you maybe stuck with no solution.

You can buy good quality gu10's and take them with you if you subsequently move.

Might be worth unscrewing faceplate and seeing exactly what dimmers they have, and googling those.

Soldato
Well I'm not trying to use the dimmer function, but like I said if I just put it on full whack then they flicker, so I have to turn back the dimmer to make that stop. It doesn't alter the brightness, that's not what I'm trying to do.

Associate
some very technical stuff in this thread.

i bought some from ASDA and they are great.

my parents had 2 3 way lights in the kitchen that needed changing every 2-4 months. replaced them with LEDs from ASDA and they have lasted over a year so far with no change. had same problem in my girlfreinds bed room, but that room has me thinking there is a problem with the wiring or something one of the bulbs has died and the rest are still going strong.

also make sure to make a note of what light temp you have. something along the lines of 5800K.

Soldato
Question for you LED Guys

Ive got 2 matching ceiling lights that look a bit like this but are 10 arm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Enj14mIfL.jpg

These currently use g4 halogen fittings. One of the 12v transformers has failed in it and rather than replace both the lights I figued it would be more cost effective to replace the transformer.

Taking advantage of the opportunity I felt that changing to an LED transformer would be a good move to save power and hopefully money.

Ive seen this transformer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-35W-Vad...r-12V-LV-Halogen-amp-LED-Lights-/280823837025

I have 2 questions, would this do the job that im after or are there better?
The other one is the current transformer has a 10mm hole through the middle where a bolt sits and a nut locks the transformer in place in the ceiling mount. That transformer doesnt have one is there a way around this?

Pic of current transformer

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Z13Ld0I0ZKR1J5dEVFV08zUTA/view?usp=sharing

Soldato
I'm getting my bathroom redone and will be using a few downlights

I've been looking at the Aurora M10s can I just purchase these and my builder can fit them or do I need to buy any additional items?

Caporegime
Can anybody recommend a supplier of aluminium extrusion for LED tape, along with the tape itself and diffuser? I need to light a cupboard up and I think a strip from floor to ceiling at a 45-degree angle is going to be the way to go.

Associate
i got a e14 small golfball 250lumin bulb from well lit and it is surprisingly bright in the globe bedside light i bought, actually bit too bright like a mini sun :/

Soldato
What's the general consensus for the best all round good value GU10 LED bulb in warm white? I need 12 of them for a kitchen plus probably 20+ for the rest of the house.

Back
Top Bottom