• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Yes for short benching runs, could never run it for more than a few minutes though with stability. Those scores are on record in the Firestrike thread, so will try to beat those as well.

EDIT

Nice touch donating your X99 system for a raffle, hopefully i can help expedite that process on the weekend.

Average result for a 5960x is 4.5ghz, if you wanted to do a fair system comparison with both systems dialed in correctly :)

Associate
On motherboards, from non-UK retailer that shipped CPUs:
"I believe we are currently working on getting these in stock and should be in and ready for dispatch within a week or so"

Caporegime
Average result for a 5960x is 4.5ghz, if you wanted to do a fair system comparison with both systems dialed in correctly :)

Perhaps, but temperatures get too hot with the H110i at 4.5Ghz. Even 4.4Ghz was seeing temperatures get very high and above what i was comfortable.

I settled on a 4Ghz (core+cache) 24/7 clock which kept temps in check, so this will be my main comparison. The 5960x chugs out some serious heat once you start bumping up the voltage.

Soldato
Another day to go :(

1080Ti embargo lifted early hours this morning, AMD NDA is still up. Apologies :D

Perhaps, but temperatures get too hot with the H110i at 4.5Ghz. Even 4.4Ghz was seeing temperatures get very high and above what i was comfortable.

I settled on a 4Ghz (core+cache) 24/7 clock which kept temps in check, so this will be my main comparison. The 5960x chugs out some serious heat once you start bumping up the voltage.

lol, I'll let you off. That's extremely conservative, though. Even for a H110i

Permabanned
if anand only got 4.8 out of a 7700k , at 1.4v at best for stability - 5gz , even under water it was hitting thermal limits

My mate is running hes at 5.1 delided 0 throtling bare core no throtling. Im talking ocuk 7700k delided that costs less than 1800x... In my opinion those bined ocuk 7700k are chips to go for gaming.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1080Ti embargo lifted early hours this morning, AMD NDA is still up. Apologies :D

Yeah 4.2-4.3Ghz would've been in reach with reasonable temps. The problem is i do a lot of video encoding that pegs usage at 100%, that kicks up temps into the high 70's at 4Ghz, never mind any higher. 4Ghz offers decent enough performance and there is little to gain by going much further at 4K outside of the synthetic benchmarks. I'll be running the 1800x at stock most likely, or with an all core overclock to 4Ghz. No need for any higher aside from benching runs/comparisons.

Associate
Ryzen 1800x @4Ghz
AIDI64 Benchmark
jQdGV.jpg

G34SG.jpg

Impressive memory performance latency seems high though.
Seems to be using Corsair MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 and numbers look good or on par here against others.
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/213562/Force-MP500

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah 4.2-4.3Ghz would've been in reach with reasonable temps. The problem is i do a lot of video encoding that pegs usage at 100%, that kicks up temps into the high 70's at 4Ghz, never mind any higher. 4Ghz offers decent enough performance and there is little to gain by going much further at 4K outside of the synthetic benchmarks. I'll be running the 1800x at stock most likely, or with an all core overclock to 4Ghz. No need for any higher aside from benching runs/comparisons.

I know this is slightly late in the day, but the thermal control tool would have really helped you there for when doing the encodes in contrast to gaming :)

Soldato

The H110i is rubbish though, my Noctua D15S beats it; and that was after I went and slapped on some Noctua IPPC 2000RPM fans on my H110i GT.

Bloody thing was more expensive, noisier in all cases, and hotter. I have my little 5820K at a very conservative 4Ghz, but it's never once even touched 60 degrees Celsius after an entire day of encoding and rendering projects.

Hottest it's been under stress was 60 degrees on one core under AIDA64 with the D15S.
The H110i GT easily exceeded those temps.

Soldato
The H110i is rubbish though, my Noctua D15S beats it; and that was after I went and slapped on some Noctua IPPC 2000RPM fans on my H110i GT.

Bloody thing was more expensive, noisier in all cases, and hotter. I have my little 5820K at a very conservative 4Ghz, but it's never once even touched 60 degrees Celsius after an entire day of encoding and rendering projects.

Hottest it's been under stress was 60 degrees on one core under AIDA64 with the D15S.

It's definitely not the best. Custom triple rad solution is the way forward, likely a similar story with Ryzen. The benefit of using the control tool, though, is that you can set your own upper threshold to throttle both the multiple and voltage based on package temps. Takes a short while to set up as you need to test the voltage is sufficient for both the heavy and light loads, but worth it in cases such as Matt's. Overdrive may even incorporate similar, but then again it might not.

Soldato

What core voltage are you running? My 5820k gets to around 65C in the default Aida64 stress test with 1.152V @4.1GHz using a Noctua NH-D15S and with a room temperature of 19-20C. I may have to reapply the thermal paste.

This is using Asus' fan profile which is fairly conservative.

Soldato
What core voltage are you running? My 5820k gets to around 65C in the default Aida64 stress test with 1.152V @4.1GHz using a Noctua NH-D15S and with a room temperature of 19-20C. I may have to reapply the thermal paste.

This is using Asus' fan profile which is fairly conservative.

I run it at 1.0833V @4Ghz, with the single Noctua fan having a range of 900RPM - 1200RPM.

I tried both Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, and Noctua NT H1, and the Noctua paste was easier to apply, and was 1-2 degrees better under max load.

Encoding a small 4K 60fps video at 68Mbs, and it's nice a cool; ambient room temp at 18 degrees at the moment.
kerBI3B.png

Here's the temps from AIDA64 when I first replaced my H110i GT with the D15S.

U9dbh4t.png

Associate
Yes for short benching runs, could never run it for more than a few minutes though with stability. Those scores are on record in the Firestrike thread, so will try to beat those as well.

EDIT

Nice touch donating your X99 system for a raffle, hopefully i can help expedite that process on the weekend.

Will look forward to your results...

And i am too very excited about this raffle ...does anybody know when the tickets are available to purchase

Soldato
Post up in Mother board section . some may find helpful or a bit interesting

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...d-asus-asrock-gigabyte-or-msi.18770244/page-2

So reading into your post, the first load of Ryzen samples were garbage so the motherboard vendors couldnt be bothered to really put any effort into supporting them, so AMD respun the chips and sent them out again and at this point the motherboard vendors were like "ooh yeah now its decent, lets make some motherboards for it" but this was obviously the cause of the delay in no one getting motherboards other than Asus shipping their out, and the lackluster selection we currently have of motherboards.

And ontop of this the Memory thing still has not been totally sorted yet, and its something likely to be patched in as and when memory vendors get their stuff to AMD to be certified and sent back?

All i want to really know is, can the 8/16 Zen chips beat my 4.3 4770k in Single thread and multithread performance, while keeping cool, and can i run some decent timed ram alongside it on a motherboard with some decent storage options and potentially xfire.

Soldato
I run it at 1.0833V @4Ghz, with the single Noctua fan having a range of 900RPM - 1200RPM.

I tried both Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, and Noctua NT H1, and the Noctua paste was easier to apply, and was 1-2 degrees better under max load.

Encoding a small 4K 60fps video at 68Mbs, and it's nice a cool; ambient room temp at 18 degrees at the moment.
kerBI3B.png

Here's the temps from AIDA64 when I first replaced my H110i GT with the D15S.

U9dbh4t.png
Okay, those are great temps! I really think the high end Noctua coolers are excellent value for money. My friend has an EK predator 240 and temps are not that much better, the Noctua is quieter and much less expensive too with great build quality.

Back
Top Bottom