• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
I run it at 1.0833V @4Ghz, with the single Noctua fan having a range of 900RPM - 1200RPM.

I tried both Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, and Noctua NT H1, and the Noctua paste was easier to apply, and was 1-2 degrees better under max load.

Encoding a small 4K 60fps video at 68Mbs, and it's nice a cool; ambient room temp at 18 degrees at the moment.
kerBI3B.png

Here's the temps from AIDA64 when I first replaced my H110i GT with the D15S.

U9dbh4t.png

All i will say is i use handbrake and that pegs each thread/core at 100% usage.

Soldato
I'm nervous about my 1700. They're either going to be belters, or have some hitherto unknown gimping that makes you wish you got the 1700X.

Thanks Gibbo for the hints pointing in the positive direction :)

Associate
@Gibbo
I know motherboards aren't your thing, but are you aware of or can you get any info on OCUK's stock for those that have pre-ordered the top-dog?

TIA

Got webnote reply from OCUK, no Ryzen stock issues but:
"Motherboard supply is more limited and you may expect to wait longer for us to receive stock for sale".

Soldato
It's not hard to find almost any review that finds the Noctua D15 come top in group tests, even against most AIOs. I don't know why people fall for the 'liquid cooling' marketing nonsense of AIOs over and over... D15 will trump them all for performance and certainly value. I totally get the AIO argument from an aesthetic point of view (especially vs Noctua) or if you have extremely high profile RAM or no height clearance in the case. Otherwise, it's quite amusing reading comments that have owners of AIOs questioning why they don't have amazing near record breaking temps. Do your research lol!!

I went from Noctua and Phenteks to the Corsair H100i over 3 years ago for these reasons:
  • Less faffing
  • Aesthetics
  • Performance was the same, better even in some cases, with little to no difference in noise
  • Less worry of weight on motherboard
The fact is, AIOs like the H110i and H115i now are basically the same performance as the high-end air. You just pick whichever is best for you and your build. Not comprehending why people choose AIO over the traditional heatsinks is just silly. Both are excellent choices.
Sure, don't expect it to be 10c+ cooler, that's madness. You want a proper watercooling solution for that, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Much mirth to be had in the "Images of Items I Have Purchased" thread of lots of Ryzen cpus with no motherboards :D

Soldato
All i will say is i use handbrake and that pegs each thread/core at 100% usage.

Same here, along with Prime, very good stability test. :)

Aye, I also included AIDA64 with FPU, Memory, and Cache running.

Premiere Pro At VBR2 doesn't always peg a CPU at 100% because it does two passes, I can run at VBR1 which instantly encodes a project without going over the first analysis phase, but it's worse quality. Although significantly quicker; and will peg it at 100% on all cores.

I rarely bother with Handbrake these days, as I don't need to transcode as much anymore. Even then never went over 60 degrees once.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ryzen 1700 & 1700X benchmarks leaked:

PmxNMVU.jpg
dnaeNia.jpg

Looked bit blurred as I am try to guess the numbers...

GTA V DX11

Ryzen 7 1700 167fps
Ryzen 7 1700X 130fps
Core i7 7700K 190fps
Core i7 6800K 145fps

Alien: Isolation DX11

Ryzen 7 1700 163fps
Ryzen 7 1700X 194fps
Core i7 7700K 165fps
Core i7 6800K 200fps

Battlefield 4 DX12 ??? I guess it a typo so it should read as Battlefield 1

Ryzen 7 1700 94fps
Ryzen 7 1700X 111fps
Core i7 7700K 93fps
Core i7 6800K 115fps

Ashes of the Singularity DX12

Ryzen 7 1700 44fps
Ryzen 7 1700X 55fps
Core i7 7700K 44fps
Core i7 6800K 56fps

Civilization VI DX12

Ryzen 7 1700 63fps
Ryzen 7 1700X 67fps
Core i7 7700K 73fps
Core i7 6800K 79fps

DOOM Vulkan

Ryzen 7 1700 101fps
Ryzen 7 1700X 127fps
Core i7 7700K 94fps
Core i7 6800K 123fps

Hmmm very interesting peformance but I noticed something wrong with 1700X GTA V fps is lower than 1700, it probably another typo.

Look like 1800X OC will have no problem smash 7700K in every games benchmarks. :D

If thats true thats pretty good, it beats out the 7700K half the time and its not even the top end one.

I would expect the 1800X to pretty much sweep the board

Soldato
I went from Noctua and Phenteks to the Corsair H100i over 3 years ago for these reasons:
  • Less faffing
  • Aesthetics
  • Performance was the same, better even in some cases, with little to no difference in noise
  • Less worry of weight on motherboard
The fact is, AIOs like the H110i and H115i now are basically the same performance as the high-end air. You just pick whichever is best for you and your build. Not comprehending why people choose AIO over the traditional heatsinks is just silly. Both are excellent choices.
Sure, don't expect it to be 10c+ cooler, that's madness. You want a proper watercooling solution for that, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Yes, I'm not dissing on AIOs, they perform just fine for the most part, but some people do have high expectations simply because they have liquid in them, which they believe is assured to offer a far superior cooling solution, when it factually does not. It's quite obvious many people buy them for this reason. The aesthetics argument is by far the strongest, and as mentioned, where high profile RAM or case clearance height is air cooler prohibitive.

On the faffing point though... I fitted a D15 recently and it was the easiest cooler I've ever fitted, bar none! The BeQuiet Dark Rock cooler is still a PITA though, so they aren't all so easy. Weight on the mobo isn't really an issue with modern boards, unless you're moving your PC around a lot. Noise levels can actually be higher with an AIO due to the pump noise... it's product specific and also the case can factor in, but a friend of mine has a Corsair AIO and regrets buying it because of the noise... he had a quieter system before with his BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler, and his temps are the same lol!

For Ryzen, no one NEEDS an AIO to achieve high performance from their CPU... that's the myth that needs to be busted here. There's a stronger argument for a custom loop if ultimate performance is desired (and you are happy to pay for it), but for a healthy overclock a top end air cooler will do the job perfectly fine, and then some!

Soldato
Interesting, I wonder how stock is gonna look like after tomorrow's reviews, benchmarks etc.

UK reviewers arent impressed with AMD that theirs was late by a few days compared to america. Time is money for AMD and with Skylake X Q3 , need to get a move on and better up their game. I think Chip stock wise they are fine retail wise but Reviewers wise, they are short! very short! I think about 6 UK sites have a Chip, and more with just a board waiting on chips...

So reading into your post, the first load of Ryzen samples were garbage so the motherboard vendors couldnt be bothered to really put any effort into supporting them, so AMD respun the chips and sent them out again and at this point the motherboard vendors were like "ooh yeah now its decent, lets make some motherboards for it" but this was obviously the cause of the delay in no one getting motherboards other than Asus shipping their out, and the lackluster selection we currently have of motherboards.

And ontop of this the Memory thing still has not been totally sorted yet, and its something likely to be patched in as and when memory vendors get their stuff to AMD to be certified and sent back?

All i want to really know is, can the 8/16 Zen chips beat my 4.3 4770k in Single thread and multithread performance, while keeping cool, and can i run some decent timed ram alongside it on a motherboard with some decent storage options and potentially xfire.

Your bang on with both two points! I think Gigabyte and ASRock put some effort in, ASRock actually went and did their flagship! so fair play to them. I'd expect Gigabyte to take note and release at least an 8 with the extra 4pin and ASUS to release an Apex to get some bragging rights.

Seems memory is a combined effort from the Mobo Vendors and AMD, seems ram makers have very little to do :( you'd thought they would offer their full range to Mobo vendors to get them Cert!

Its expected Bios will improve greatly with AM4, more so then over Intel side .

I have been told though, Intel hasn't put the same lack luster attempt from the z170/z270 into the x299.... But will have the price tag to boot =/

Soldato
I just realised, Trump became president and then six weeks later AMERICAN Micro Dynamics became great again XD

(I know that's not what the A stands for, it's a joke).

Back
Top Bottom