• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
This is not a clean install of windows, same windows drive from my windows system, no amd chipset drives installed nothing....

cpuz_zpsmhl0fxvn.jpg
cpuz2_zpsgea8oc3l.jpg
hw_zpsax4yejzh.jpg
cine_zpsvx7zsdbd.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys,

My first post here, but been following the thread with great interest :)
First of all - the ASUS Hero manual has just been posted.

For the guy wondering about code 61: it's NVRAM initialization.

As my day job one of my main interests is architecture optimization on PS games, and all I can say is that a cluster switch for a thread is a major problem.
Seeing that CCX acts somewhat similar to a cluster on Jaguar (PS4, X1) with a decent thread affinity solution there is certainly some extra performance to be had.
The thread affinity solution could be done on the software side - I am willing to bet that's what AMD is asking developers to do as a very quick fix, just in case Microsoft is slow with a scheduler update.
L3 behavior should also be considered when tasks are executed - however this is more in the realm of game development, as the OS sees threads, not tasks, but modern game engines use thread pools with tasks executed on the pools.
The thread pool implementation should take the Ryzen architecture into account for optimal performance - this may require some time to get it right.
Ideally, the OS scheduler should take the cluster switch penalty into account and even if thread affinity is not specified by the application (pre-Ryzen games), it should consider keeping the threads on the same cluster/CCX if possible - this should be a fix for the OS by MS and/or AMD.
You'd probably want experiment with scheduling on separate cores as well, and seeing how utilizing 2 threads on the same core affects performance

Current console games use 8 cores (no HT) and a significant number of games (console ports) should actually work a lot better natively on 8 cores, which is pretty much Ryzen and i7 6900... the latter not really being an option for most gamers, unlike Ryzen.
What you want on Ryzen is very likely thread pools working similarly to the original console code, rather than dumbed down to the currently dominant 4 core Intel solution :)
I'd definitely expect great results once/if console developers get more involved with the Ryzen optimization - that's why AMD is courting them; they've been working on similar architectures for the past few years, unlike PC only developers.

Certainly interesting times :)

This tells me that Ryzen will be a fantastic purchase for gaming....in about two years.

..when the next generation of games taking full account of it's architecture start to be released.

Soldato
This tells me that Ryzen will be a fantastic purchase for gaming....in about two years.

..when the next generation of games taking full account of it's architecture start to be released.

Lol it's a fantastic purchase for gaming right now too! Gta5 at 128fps on RyZen or 135fps on 7700k? Yeah those 7 or so FPS are make or break! Not to mention RyZen schools Intel chips on minimums..

Soldato
Lol it's a fantastic purchase for gaming right now too! Gta5 at 128fps on RyZen or 135fps on 7700k? Yeah those 7 or so FPS are make or break! Not to mention RyZen schools Intel chips on minimums..

No, the 8 core Ryzens are a good purchase for gaming right now, not fantastic.

Associate
I've got high hopes for my 1700x and CH Hero setup with the cooling from a 360 rad dedicated to just the CPU.

Reading about some of the results you guys are getting is making me very jealous.

Associate
is there any talk of when there will be deliveries of the Asrock boards?

I believe they will be arriving early to middle of this week, hopefully in enough quantity. I noticed one other etailer has today as estimated, and a second etailer has Wednesday, so I guess OCuk will get them in soon for sure :D

Still debating whether to stick with 1700X or change my order to a 1700...

[EDIT]
Also noticed that 8-Pack was talking about testing with a Taichi on Monday/Tuesday in another thread, so I guess they must be expected soon unless they're shipping him one out especially for testing.

Last edited:
Associate
I believe they will be arriving early to middle of this week, hopefully in enough quantity. I noticed one other etailer has today as estimated, and a second etailer has Wednesday, so I guess OCuk will get them in soon for sure :D

Still debating whether to stick with 1700X or change my order to a 1700...

cheers. i went for the 1700 with the k4 asrock board for £150 which i thought was reasonable.

The processor is currently sat on my desk mocking and teasing me :D

Back
Top Bottom