Cycling Holidays

Soldato
*Explores segments on Strava*. You have my attention :p

Where about do you stay? I'm on the fence about a Sept/Oct getaway again this year after Majorca in 2016. Judging by how I feel right now I will probably be needing it :o

With this guy http://www.cyclingholidayspain.net/

Airport transfers, all food prepared for you, recovery shake and massage when you get back in post ride and support car on all your rides. All set amongst some of the best roads going. The pros train there for a reason, it's superb.

Soldato
Quick q for the mallorca folks - one thing I hadn't considered was my transfer to and from palma to port de Pollenca. Obviously with a group it's not such an issue but given its just me I noticed most of the options seemed mega expensive. I can't be bothered hiring a car really either unless there's another option which isn't too expensive?

Soldato
Ride? :p

Hiring a car or a taxi is probably your best bet unless you drop the Cycle Shuttle a message to see if they're in the area but even then no guarantee it won't be equally as expensive.

Having a car does mean you can just drive to Andratx/Soller yourself for some of the coastal road without being at the mercy of the weather/CycleShuttle for availability.

Soldato
I've got the bus from Palma centre > Puerto Pollenca before but I didnt have any luggage with me at the time. They were quite frequent from what I remember and not too expensive.
I dont know about airport > palma centre though.

Soldato
You can probably get a public bus from airport to Palma and then another to Port de Pollenca. Won't be fast or pretty but likely cheaper!

Taxi cost about 80EUR to the south west part of the island when I was there. It cost me less than 80EUR for 3 days car hire later so I used that to get back to the airport too. (Roig was the company)

Edit: beaten by touch!

Soldato
Cheers folks, I've found there's a shuttle bus that should do and only about €50 with a bike return. I'm trying to keep the costs down as I discovered there's a few nice looking restaurants in Puerto Pollensa near my hotel and I'd rather be spending my money there :D

Soldato
Always rented a car, out of season it is cheap as chips (talking 35quid for a huge estate) 10 for fuel there and back if that and you're sorted for a week.

Soldato
I tried to slam the stem of my hire bike and ended up screwing it up because I'd not encountered the style of headset Cannondale uses. It ended up having a lot of play which damaged the paintwork.

Lesson learnt, I wouldn't tamper with a hire bike again! You probably aren't as ham-fisted as me though. :(

Crank went on without any issues so all is good. Hired a bike with Ultegra Di2 so life will never be the same again going back to ****ty 10 speed SRAM Force. :p Jokes aside, it's impressive kit. The front shifting is very very good.

Hoping to check out some of the less visited climbs this week as wel as redoing the big ones. Only so many times you can end up at that petrol station near Lluc before you lose the will!

Soldato
So I found out the shuttle buses don't start until 1st April, and given the price of hire cars it does sound like the best bet!

Just need to make sure the car is big enough for my bag!

Soldato
I booked some place in alcudia that was cheap half board and cheerful had a big outdoor pool and indoor pool and sauna. Kept bikes in the rooms.

Alcudia Garden aparthotel.

Had lots of other clubs there at the same time from Germany mostly.

Soldato
I booked some place in alcudia that was cheap half board and cheerful had a big outdoor pool and indoor pool and sauna. Kept bikes in the rooms. I'll dig out the name.

Had lots of other clubs there at the same time from Germany mostly.

If you could cheers.

We're probably looking first week of September, but conscious that still overlaps with the school hols so may be pricey.:(

Soldato
I've stayed in Fergus hotel in Port de Pollenca. Always full of cyclists.
It has an outdoor pool but isn't heated so it was a bit cold in march! Should be fine in september though.

Be aware that "Pollenca" and "Port de Pollenca" are not the same town. Pollenca is 2-3 miles away inland. Only ever cycled through it and havn't stopped there but it doesnt look as nice as Port de Pollenca.

Soldato
^Stayed there in October. Pretty sure I posted my thoughts further back for reference.

Pollenca 'old town' as it's referred to is a little more inland. Stay by the port as you have the beach front etc. Had a coffee in the Old Town and a walk around on another day but other than the chapel with about 300 steps there's not much there.

Back
Top Bottom