Cycling Holidays

Associate
Nice! I might borrow that first route if you can export a GPX?

What bike did you hire? I'm renting a SuperSix Evo Ultegra Di2 from Freemotion over Christmas.

I'll sort out the route I plotted on Strava, because I took a wrong turn on the descent, which meant me turning around and grinding back up - probably added another 800ft or so of climbing up a pretty poor road. My language was rather colourful.

Take some arm warmers, the first 20 minutes or so of the descent you will be freezing. I had a BH Quartz Ultegra, which is an endurance type bike; given the general great condition of the roads, the supersix is probably a better choice. Let me know if you don't have dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p21tdonaid78y3g/GC%20PICO%2060.tcx?dl=0

Associate
Hotter than expected 27-29 (should have been around 24) with a little rain late afternoon / evening. It was mercifully cooler & overcast on the Pico climb.

Associate
Tenerife has just popped up on my radar. Where about did you decide to stay?

I'm yet to visit Tenerife, and again it's not a cycling holiday (32 of us!) just a holiday where I plan to do a bit. We are staying in Costa Adeje. A lot of routes seem to start in that area.

The only thing about Tenerife is that there is Teide, or Teide. I'm thinking Gran Canaria or Southern Spain next March, and group of friends planning Marmotte for July.

I was very impressed with Gran Canaria, most (but not all) roads in very good condition and decent variety of terrain if you are based around say Maspalomas.

Soldato
I'm yet to visit Tenerife, and again it's not a cycling holiday (32 of us!) just a holiday where I plan to do a bit. We are staying in Costa Adeje. A lot of routes seem to start in that area.

I stayed in Las Americas when I was there. We found a bike shop which seemed to have decent hire bikes (we had our own bikes so didnt pay that much attention to the hire options). Called Bike Point Tenerife, it was on the Adeje side of town so might be walkable from where you are.

There is a lot more to the island than just the Teide climb, but there's no flat roads. It'll be great if you're only going to get a couple of days riding.

Associate
I used http://www.free-motion.com in Gran Canaria, bike was a brand new & unused BH Quartz Ultegra (I had to bed the pads / rotors in before I made any big descents), so I'm tempted to use them again.

That said, I've always liked BMC bikes & that Roadmachine RM02 Ultegra Di2 looks quite tasty.

Soldato
It's not cheap but if you want a full tour of the Alps...

http://pyreneesmultisport.com/raid-alpine/

There is an optional day to join the 'Club des Cinglés du Mont-Ventoux'.

We used them this year to do the Raid Pyrenees. Great if you just want to ride and no have to worry about anything else. Good value for what you get at the price. I would use them again.

Soldato
We used them this year to do the Raid Pyrenees. Great if you just want to ride and no have to worry about anything else. Good value for what you get at the price. I would use them again.

I've stayed at their HQ in Luscan for a self-guided tour and oli collett did the Raid Alpine this year with them. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, fully supported tour.

Soldato
Booked the ferry (outbound) and Eurotunnel (coming home) this week for a trip to France next June.

A week in Provence cycling, staying on a vineyard about 25k from Bedoin... :cool:

Soldato
Registered for Marmotte! Now to find some accomodation.

Trip coming together now, ferry out on the wednesday evening, going down on the Thursday, staying until the Tuesday near Bourg D'oisans, then going up to near La Planche Des Belles Filles on the Tuesday to ride to the tour stage on the Wednesday, home on the Thursday.

Soldato
Le Bourg D'oisans is beautiful. My father stays there a few times a year right at the bottom of Alpe d'Huez. I'll need to take along one year.

Soldato
Le Bourg D'oisans is beautiful. My father stays there a few times a year right at the bottom of Alpe d'Huez. I'll need to take along one year.

From everything I've read, it is the best place to stay in the Alps with all the major climbs within riding distance.

Hopefully got all our accomodation booked now. 5 nights near Bourg and then 2 up near Les Planches Des Belles Filles. Hopefully get in 7 days of riding.

Soldato
Does anyone have recomendations for holidays in the French Alps?
Very interested in what you find out mate, not that I'd ride with you, just to give an idea of pricing/schedules for that kinda trip so I can pitch it to the other half to check viability in the future...!
I was very impressed with Gran Canaria, most (but not all) roads in very good condition and decent variety of terrain if you are based around say Maspalomas.
Did a non-cycling holiday in Gran Canaria 4-5 years ago and the roads from the south (Puerto Rico) to the middle were amazing, although to really get to the highest points (did a 'Volcano tour') required a 4x4 so I wouldn't think a road bike ideal. 99% of the rest of the riding you'd be fine though. Roads seemed really wide & very quiet, even peak season (was June/July IIRC).
The only thing about Tenerife is that there is Teide, or Teide.
Not strictly true, there's tons of riding which the tourists supposedly don't know about. Did a group ride a couple of months back and one of the girls along was living out there (teaching English) and had got really into regular riding as a way to integrate with some of the locals. She's a bit of a mountain goat and regularly see QOM's on her rides. Based in Santa Cruz, think her profile is public if you wanted to take a look at some of the riding - https://www.strava.com/athletes/5011893

Last edited:
Soldato
100ft/mile for 420~ miles is going to be tough going. Not dissimilar ratio for my trip to Majorca though it was a 'holiday', included a day off the bike and 1 recovery ride and about half the distance/elevation :o :p

Back
Top Bottom