Fuji X Series

Soldato
Just won a X-T1 with the 18-135 kit lens on eBay for £670.00

Seller has very little history but been on eBay since 2013. Before I made payment I have messaged him to confirm fully tracked postage and that the camera is in working order with no issues undocumented in the description.

Looks in very good condition and according to the seller it still has a warranty valid till October 2017.

Hopefully with the messages I have covered myself if it is a scam as paying via paypal.....wish me luck.

Caporegime
I thought UV filters were just for amateurs who don't know better?

Why do you use them? Genuine question
Saying it's for amateurs who don't know better is a bit much but ultimately while they don't do much for lens damage they do protect against muck.
I've got B+W 007 pro clear filters on all of my lenses. I never use lens caps and often times don't use hoods either so i like the protection they offer.

There's no reduction in image quality as far as I can tell either which is to be expected from B+W I guess.
Tests have shown that they don't offer any real protection, as the lens element is many times harder than the protector so what can damage a protector often cannot damage a lens element.

For me it was mainly about avoiding fingerprints and smudges, but now I don't use any lens protectors and always have lens wipe sachets with me..

Last edited:
Soldato
Saying it's for amateurs who don't know better is a bit much but ultimately while they don't do much for lens damage they dox

Tests have shown that they don't offer any real protection, as the lens element is many times harder than the protector so what can damage a protector often cannot damage a lens element.

For me it was mainly about avoiding fingerprints and smudges, but now I don't use any lens protectors and always have lens wipe sachets with me..

That's what I use them for, just to protect the lens from fingerprints and dust.

Soldato
It's hardly difficult to remove a fingerprint from a lens if you're careless enough to put one there in the first place.

I guess I just never run into issues where a UV filter would help. Not having a go at anyone at all.

Soldato
I went to Whitby today with the x pro 1 and 35mm f2, just got back, im blown away with the quality of the pics, the small camera feel was good, im used to 5d3 and 16-35f4 etc.

Got the camera from the fuji outlet, paid £280 ish , was like brand new. The lens was £239 and again like new.

Caporegime
Soldato
Running around like a blue arsed fly shooting all day? Changing lenses? Adding and removing filters? Needless to say, it happens.

Oh I know, but I'd know I'd consider myself careless if I did manage it, even with the smaller 3rd party hoods I use on Fuji. I've done it, but it's once in a blue moon.

I tend to only use a protective filter in dusty/sandy environments. I'm yet to mark a lens (touch wood!) but I've had odd flare from a filter. I'll use a CP more than a UV.

Caporegime
Oh I know, but I'd know I'd consider myself careless if I did manage it, even with the smaller 3rd party hoods I use on Fuji. I've done it, but it's once in a blue moon.

I tend to only use a protective filter in dusty/sandy environments. I'm yet to mark a lens (touch wood!) but I've had odd flare from a filter. I'll use a CP more than a UV.

While I congratulate you on your superhuman powers of care, the point is that it happens to the best of us, just as with all such unintentional acts. Hence the wipes and no UV filter.

Caporegime
At the end of the day, I do not notice any image degradation, i get a piece of mind, I get the be a bit more careless should I want it and not worried about using my shirt cleaning the smudge off should I choose to and I can afford the £30 for the filter.

You can argue until the cow comes home whether you will ever damage the front element....from my experience, about 15 months ago I dropped my camera, it landed lens down, no hood, outcome?

A bent B+W F-Pro filter.

It took pilers to get it off, I replaced it with another. As for the lens? not a scratch.

Soldato
So I ended up buying the x-t1 with 18-135 kit lens from eBay last week. The camera is immaculate and only 6 months old. Ended up paying 670 for it.

Arrived yesterday and in the house I was a bit disappointed with the lens and was looking at how much I might sell it for during lunchtime at work. However it was a clear afternoon so I left work on the dot and went out with the camera to give it a test.

Pretty happy with the results, still learning the camera but here are some jpegs straight from the camera with no alterations. Anyone recommend the settings they use on their x-t1?

YkPfU6W.jpg

jIXy0I1.jpg

ObKXNZ5.jpg

A7Z4Qq7.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 18-135 is widely considered one of the weakest lens in the Fuji lineup, comparatively soft vs the others especially at the longer end. Still, it's capable of some decent shots as you showed.

For settings just Google "Fuji X-T1 best settings" and you will get some good tips.

Soldato
Hopefully it's just one of those lenses where you have to play to the strengths and know when not to bother. It seems there is a lot of love and hate for the 18-135 online. It is definitely soft at the edges on maximum zoom but it's the best travel option for me I think. As a first outing I think it did ok. I was messing with metering / AF and was not used to having the aperture on the lens and was a bit overwhelmed, so I could probably do better with practice.

Has anyone tried any old lenses with their fuji? My parents have a Canon A1 with a 50mm 1.8 lens from the early 80s and would like to resurrect it for a bit of fun. This is the lens that captured my early childhood and the photos it produced seemed beautiful.

Associate
Has anyone tried any old lenses with their fuji? My parents have a Canon A1 with a 50mm 1.8 lens from the early 80s and would like to resurrect it for a bit of fun. This is the lens that captured my early childhood and the photos it produced seemed beautiful.

Yeah I have a bunch of old Pentax/Vivitar lenses with converters. Well worth mucking around with.

A mate of mine has a Canon 50/0.95 which I've been trying to persuade him to part with :)

olv

olv

Soldato
A lens that does not get much mention but is worth some attention for any Fuji user is the 27mm pancake. It makes my X-T10 properly pocketable and although only f/2.8, it's sharp and produces nice colours and can produce nice bokeh. It just makes a really useful lens, I think I paid about £120 new on eBay from Sweden or somewhere. Bargain.

Apologies if these images are massive, no idea how to resize on my phone.

eg3GViu.jpg
3KPQcls.jpg
QZ1cWfw.jpg
3DMHLyT.jpg
kMlNaG5.jpg GnRUAmM.jpg eqaIe3J.jpg ffBFDrR.jpg 0odaimp.jpg T8XQmW1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom